Happy Easter!

Page 2 of 3<123>
April 16th, 2017 at 2:49:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: FrGamble
You have always had a very hard time differentiating fact from legend and mythical language.


I have a hard time with people who believe
every word of the NT except the obviously
goofy parts. To be a Christian you have to
be the good wife with a cheating husband.
You see all the clues he's cheating, but choose
to go into denial and ignore them.

A Christian has to ignore all the parts of the
NT that are just nonsense and pretend the
rest of it is true, because you want it to be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2017 at 7:41:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
Quote: Evenbob
I have a hard time with people who believe
every word of the NT except the obviously
goofy parts. To be a Christian you have to
be the good wife with a cheating husband.
You see all the clues he's cheating, but choose
to go into denial and ignore them.


I have a hard time with the fundamentalist who sees the signs someone is cheating and interprets it in some loving way.

Quote:
A Christian has to ignore all the parts of the
NT that are just nonsense and pretend the
rest of it is true, because you want it to be.


No a Christian has to read critically and in context and know the different genres, expressions, and literary devices of the ancient Near East. It really isn't that hard. Here is a test; if atheists like a certain Scripture verse and continue to beat you over the head with it you can be pretty sure not to take it literally.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:26:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: FrGamble
No a Christian has to read critically and in context


The only context for the Jewish saints being raised
is that it never happened and was added later by
an over zealous NT story teller.

And Jesus cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit. And behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake; and the rocks were rent; and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised: and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many (Matthew 27:50-53).

This has been called the greatest miracle in
the NT if it was true. Even the worst NT
scholars call the verses 'unfortunate'. What
is does for an outsider not willing to squeeze
his eyes shut and pretend it's not there, is
make us doubt that anything in the NT is
true. Much like a witness under oath makes
up a story, we then have to doubt the rest
of his testimony also, with good reason.
And because the NT is the only place these
events were written about, they have to be
disregarded as nothing more than odd
unprovable stories and fantasies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:32:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
I think you would be foolish to do so especially if you don't know how and what audience Matthew is writing to. It is in reference to the fulfillment of prophecy and Matthew in many points in His Gospel will point out things that correspond to the fullfillment of prophecy in the OT, either perfectly or imperfectly. Taking one line meant to show Jesus is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecy of old and using it to discredit or ignore the whole of all the Gospels is just silly and desperate.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:32:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
I think you would be foolish to do so especially if you don't know how and what audience Matthew is writing to. It is in reference to the fulfillment of prophecy and Matthew in many points in His Gospel will point out things that correspond to the fullfillment of prophecy in the OT, either perfectly or imperfectly. Taking one line meant to show Jesus is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecy of old and using it to discredit or ignore the whole of all the Gospels is just silly and desperate.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:45:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 116
Posts: 4759
Quote: FrGamble
Here is a test; if atheists like a certain Scripture verse and continue to beat you over the head with it you can be pretty sure not to take it literally.


Deuteronomy 25:11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity
No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:48:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: FrGamble
Taking one line meant to show Jesus is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecy of old and using it to discredit or ignore the whole of all the Gospels is just silly and desperate.


Not at all, it just makes you look
for others with an open mind.
The magic tricks that are called
miracles, for instance. They too
are called 'unfortunate' by many
NT scholars. Walking on water
and pulling food from an empty
bag and raising the dead, those
are tricks right up there with
sawing a woman in half and making
a live tiger appear in an empty cage.

They have as much business in a
serious religious text as pulling
a rabbit out of an empty hat would
have in the Koran.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:52:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
Good example. Now read the Gospel passage about the woman caught in adultery or St. Paul's exortation for husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the Church. I think it is pretty clear that such a verse is only used as foolish fodder for an atheist to prooftext and take old laws literally as if they apply in a culture influneced by Christian teachings.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:56:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
Quote: Evenbob
Not at all, it just makes you look
for others with an open mind.
The magic tricks that are called
miracles, for instance. They too
are called 'unfortunate' by many
NT scholars. Walking on water
and pulling food from an empty
bag and raising the dead, those
are tricks right up there with
sawing a woman in half and making
a live tiger appear in an empty cage.

They have as much business in a
serious religious text as pulling
a rabbit out of an empty hat would
have in the Koran.


Again you need to read critically. You can tell by the historical narrative and collaborated texts from other Gospels that these miracles are indeed true miracles and not at all illusions. They give us true glimpses into the divinity of Jesus Christ who is the Son of God. These miracles are always connected to some greater teaching and meaning.
April 16th, 2017 at 8:56:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
Quote: Evenbob
Not at all, it just makes you look
for others with an open mind.
The magic tricks that are called
miracles, for instance. They too
are called 'unfortunate' by many
NT scholars. Walking on water
and pulling food from an empty
bag and raising the dead, those
are tricks right up there with
sawing a woman in half and making
a live tiger appear in an empty cage.

They have as much business in a
serious religious text as pulling
a rabbit out of an empty hat would
have in the Koran.


Again you need to read critically. You can tell by the historical narrative and collaborated texts from other Gospels that these miracles are indeed true miracles and not at all illusions. They give us true glimpses into the divinity of Jesus Christ who is the Son of God. These miracles are always connected to some greater teaching and meaning.
Page 2 of 3<123>