New British coin

Page 2 of 4<1234>
May 4th, 2017 at 6:58:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Thanks. Somehow I thought the US was still a little smaller but I stand corrected. I should order a lot of them from the bank and make small purchases with them, to encourage their use.

The US mint was shipping boxes of them for free to encourage their use. But people figured out that they could order boxes of coins and then deposit them in a bank without spending any of them. In exchange they were getting frequent flyer miles on their credit card. The program was discontinued since bloggers posted this suggestion.

Canada reduced the weight of it's quarter in 1968 and again in 1999. It probably helps keep the contrast with the dollar coin a little clearer.

Canadian quarter: 4.40 grams (23.88 mm x 1.58 mm)
United States quarter: 5.67 grams ( 24.26 mm x 1.75 mm )
May 4th, 2017 at 7:00:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It looks as if the USA has given up on the dollar coin forever.

I concur with Mike. the only way to place a dollar coin into wide circulation, is to stop making $1 notes.

All countries have peculiarities when it comes to currency. In Mexico it's a dislike for the 1,000 peso note, and the aversion to less than pristine bills. But in the US it's really weird. You'd think there are only 4 notes: $1, $5, $20 and $100. You seldom see $2, $10 or $50. With coins there's the reluctance to adopt a $1 coin, regardless of design, and the attachment to the penny.

What gives?

Look, discontinue the $1 bill, replace Grant with Washington on the $50 so maybe now people will like it, and just plain get rid of the penny. Hell, if you want pennies to go out of circulation quickly, allow people to sell them as scrap metal. They're worth over $0.01 that way.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 4th, 2017 at 7:33:56 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
For me, it is $1, $5, $10, and $20. I almost never see or use $2, $50, $100.

I get 20's out of the atm. Whenever I break one of those 20s on a purchase of less than $10, I get a $10 bill back with my change. Not unusual or uncommon at all.

What (almost) never happens, though, is if I buy something for less than $3 from a $5 and get a $2 back. There are a couple of businesses which are doing that on purpose, though.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 4th, 2017 at 7:49:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
I get 20's out of the atm. Whenever I break one of those 20s on a purchase of less than $10, I get a $10 bill back with my change. Not unusual or uncommon at all.

It might be a Vegas thing. I use the ticket-redemption machines a lot to get change for tips. I never get anything other than $5 and $1.

The $2 is so rare, you often read stories about people being accused of trying to pass counterfeit money when they use one.
May 4th, 2017 at 9:26:47 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

I like the bi-metal design. It is interesting to see how the portrait of QEII has changed, especially the new paunch over her cheek and jawline. She still appears very regal. I guess that is why America loves her so.

I recall the pound coin being quite thick for its' diameter, compared to America's coins.
May 4th, 2017 at 11:44:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Hell, if you want pennies to go out of circulation quickly, allow people to sell them as scrap metal. They're worth over $0.01 that way.

Are we not allowed to now? I know they cost over a penny to make but would the scrap metal value as an alloy be worth over a penny?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 4th, 2017 at 11:46:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The US mint was shipping boxes of them for free to encourage their use. But people figured out that they could order boxes of coins and then deposit them in a bank without spending any of them. In exchange they were getting frequent flyer miles on their credit card. The program was discontinued since bloggers posted this suggestion.

Funny you should mention this. I just visited a friend who was liquidating his coin collection. He had almost $500 in mint dollar coins, mostly in wrapped packs of 13. I hated to pay him only face value, but that is all they are worth. I'm sure he paid much more.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 4th, 2017 at 11:57:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Are we not allowed to now?

I don't think so.

Not without fines and jail time.

Quote:
I know they cost over a penny to make but would the scrap metal value as an alloy be worth over a penny?

I'm not sure about the current penny, but older ones made mostly of copper for sure.
May 4th, 2017 at 11:58:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Are we not allowed to now? I know they cost over a penny to make but would the scrap metal value as an alloy be worth over a penny?

No, you are not allowed to do this. Of course it is a matter of "catch me if you can." A reputable scrap yard will refuse them as they may well get caught. People still do it.

Check coinflation.com for current values of copper or zinc pennies. Value over metal varies.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2017 at 12:09:55 PM permalink
Nareed
It may not be illegal to sell US pennies for scrap in other countries.

Just sayin'
Page 2 of 4<1234>