Men skipping college

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
July 7th, 2017 at 11:59:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah, anyone who does that has some ulterior motive. Its used at yard sales, by cops who want to snoop, by neighborhood greeters who sell data to collection agencies, etc.

Oh, and those huge water bottles often go into a specialized stand that supports the dispensing botte, but that dispenser device is where the bacteria grow.
July 7th, 2017 at 12:17:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I think there is another factor about being over qualified for a position. Some that are doing the hiring don't want competition. There are definitely some unqualified managers out there, who are insecure in their positions. The last few jobs I took that I had to fill out an app for, I left quite a bit off of my resume. I was just looking for work, I didn't want to run the joint.

Could be, I agree there are many unqualified ones. I have been driven out of at least one place by ones that did not want competition.

Lucky for me I am now old and transient enough that I do not look so much a threat.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2017 at 6:36:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Slashdot recently reported that Computer Science degrees for coders were no longer repaying the student in salary and was not worth the time and effort invested.
September 23rd, 2017 at 5:05:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Slashdot recently reported that Computer Science degrees for coders were no longer repaying the student in salary and was not worth the time and effort invested.

I think IT has already migrated to where a certification is what they want, not a degree. What, 4 years elapse from first course to graduation? An eternity in that world.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2017 at 6:40:59 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Fleastiff

Getting a degree from a college or university is a completely outdated concept. For most degrees, with the information available on the internet everything is available for anyone interested in self study and it can be learned at your own pace.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 23rd, 2017 at 11:03:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: DRich
Getting a degree from a college or university is a completely outdated concept. For most degrees, with the information available on the internet everything is available for anyone interested in self study and it can be learned at your own pace.

So, you don't believe education is also for making people informed in areas they normally have no interest in and wouldn't pursue otherwise?

I can show you a guy who seems to know little about actual history but is pretty good in real estate. Is that where we want to head?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2017 at 4:05:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
So, you don't believe education is also for making people informed in areas they normally have no interest in and wouldn't pursue otherwise?

People don't get informed about what they have no interest in. They will go along to the extent that they need to pass the course and then forget 98% of all of it. College is about getting the skills for a better job, or for women getting a good husband. The "well rounded" thing is what they tell themselves in the faculty lounge to seem more important than they really are.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2017 at 9:08:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
The "well rounded" thing is what they tell themselves in the faculty lounge to seem more important than they really are.
Hear! Hear!
September 23rd, 2017 at 9:08:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
The "well rounded" thing is what they tell themselves in the faculty lounge to seem more important than they really are.
Hear! Hear!
September 23rd, 2017 at 11:33:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If we let kids only learn what they want, it'd be as bad as people who only take in news by its appeal.

If you think enough people will become knowledgeable without prodding, you really need to point out where this actually works to any extent. That's in regard to people only learning what interests them.

All low level societies no matter how practical only exist at the benevolence of well-educated societies. Whether it's the Amish or a tribe in Brazil.

All can or will be dominated by better educated societies eventually, no exceptions
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>