Bingewatch

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
June 10th, 2019 at 5:44:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Turned out I hadn't watched far enough, the dance scene wasn't cut. Good part with the doc .

Yea, saw that. Just finished season 1. I would have preferred the cursing to be period rather then modern. I love the interesting dialogue and period cursing would make the unusual dialogue even more interesting.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 11th, 2019 at 11:19:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Yea, saw that. Just finished season 1. I would have preferred the cursing to be period rather then modern. I love the interesting dialogue and period cursing would make the unusual dialogue even more interesting.

There was a BBC fantasy series about Leonardo da Vinci (14/15 April 1452 – 2 May 1519) that aired on Showtime where they liberally used the F-word in their daily dialogue. The 28 episode series premiered in the United States on Starz on 12 April 2013, and on 23 July 2015, Starz announced that the third season would be the show's last.

It is difficult to know when a curse word was initially used because they often weren't written down until long after they were verbally used. So while I can't say with certainty that the word did not exist in the latter part of the 15th century, it was very unlikely that it would have been as widely used as depicted in the series.

Of course, since the series was primarily set in Tuscany the Italian word "fottere" might be older than the English word.

The series opens with a naked Hugh Bonneville, best known for playing Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham in Downton Abbey, start naked f-ing young teenage boys. It's a role I am sure that the actor relished as it went so far against what people expect of him.
June 11th, 2019 at 11:15:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There is a rethe ference work for writers that lists period piece vocabularies, prices, costumes, activities, etc.

I too would prefer accuracy, but it can be costly. Vintage cars driven in street scenes are so valuable now that period piece movies only show clean cars.

I liked that movie wherein Robert Redford said 'your possibles" and "watch your top knot". Or Breakheart Pass wherein the historically accurate phrase 'one by each" was used. Or Painted Desert with its please do not insult our employees by tipping them.
May 1st, 2022 at 6:59:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Reality shows may be scripted. but Naked and afraid elements of torture are real enough.

These people in the Peruvian Amazon are getting this many bug bites in one night. Mosquitos and biting flies.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 5 of 5« First<2345