Mindy Mccready on Celebrity Rehab

Page 1 of 212>
February 17th, 2013 at 8:37:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This idea of this pretty young girl, the mother of two, starring in 9 celebrity rehab television shows in 2010 and then shooting herself today makes me very sad.

Intake (7 January 2010)
Detox (14 January 2010)
Dealing with the Past (14 January 2010)
New Patients (28 January 2010)
Loss (4 February 2010)
Triggers (11 February 2010)
Family Weekend (18 February 2010)
Acting Out (25 February 2010)
Graduation (4 March 2010)

The father of her second child , singer-songwriter David Wilson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound only four weeks ago.
February 18th, 2013 at 1:06:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Dead at 37 from self inflicted gunshot wound.

Beauty, talent ... but sometimes the lessons drummed into people in rehab rob them of the ability to survive rough points in life.

Rehab often forces them to start out each day and each group meeting stating that they are helpless ...

Sounds absurd but that is what the insurance companies pay for and the courts venerate.
February 18th, 2013 at 4:36:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The TV show, "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" has had 42 celebrities (now it is starting over with 8 non-celebrities). Out of the 42 a total of 5 are now dead. Three involving drugs, one from pneumonia related to brain problems, and now one suicide by gun. It was on VH1 (not TLC).

As the celebrities are getting free treatment (which would cost tens of thousands), plus a salary it is easier for them to stay in treatment. I wonder if most clinics have that kind of recidivism rate when most people are forced to drop out.
February 19th, 2013 at 8:57:54 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
I've been listening to Dr. Drew on Loveline since I was about 16, and he's someone that I really respect. Whenever someone from Celebrity Rehab kicks off, it unleashes a new stream of criticism at him, how he's not really a doctor but an entertainer, how he doesn't really care about the patients, how they might have lived had they gone to a "real" rehab facility, etc etc. This pisses me off to no end...Dr. Drew is a real doctor. He's not a Dr. Phil doctor, he has a real medical degree and has real training in addiction treatment.

As to the now 5 celebrities who have died, I say they probably made it longer than they would have without appearing on the show...just think how hard it must be to kick addiction as a celebrity with unlimited money and very little actual consequences to your drug use.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
February 19th, 2013 at 10:49:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Celebrities have money for lawyers and for "country club" rehabs that don't work. The worst off people are those without any money or any insurance programs whatsoever. No one wants to bother rehabing someone who is without insurance or fame.
February 19th, 2013 at 5:46:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AcesAndEights
As to the now 5 celebrities who have died, I say they probably made it longer than they would have without appearing on the show...just think how hard it must be to kick addiction as a celebrity with unlimited money and very little actual consequences to your drug use.

To be fair, this was the first suicide of the 5 deaths. She also did try suicide before even appearing on the TV show. But either because of sensitivity about the paid entertainers, or budget cuts, or the desire to spread the concept of the show, they are no longer taking on celebrities, but just ordinary people for this season.
February 20th, 2013 at 12:51:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Celebrities have money for lawyers and for "country club" rehabs that don't work

The outfits that serve Celebs clearly just take their money and do them little good. Of course, that's the only kind of place they'd elect to go.

There is frequently seen around here on TV an ad for an outfit that is a joke. In the ad, the first thing the Head Honcho says is that he is "cured" now of addiction. From what I know about it, that is considered a huge mistake to think that. Someone who has achieved real sobriety will tell you they aren't cured, but someone in recovery who would relapse easily without taking care. The ad goes on to say they are not "12 step", something the Celebs etc. want nothing to do with of course.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 20th, 2013 at 3:08:15 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
The outfits that serve Celebs clearly just take their money and do them little good. Of course, that's the only kind of place they'd elect to go.

There is frequently seen around here on TV an ad for an outfit that is a joke. In the ad, the first thing the Head Honcho says is that he is "cured" now of addiction. From what I know about it, that is considered a huge mistake to think that. Someone who has achieved real sobriety will tell you they aren't cured, but someone in recovery who would relapse easily without taking care. The ad goes on to say they are not "12 step", something the Celebs etc. want nothing to do with of course.

Are you referring to Passages Malibu? I'm not an addict, but I wouldn't mind staying there if my insurance would pay for it.
February 20th, 2013 at 8:25:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
There is an industry involved in Sober Living... usually drug addicts who get sentenced to some Sober Living diversion program, realize how easy it is to buy an apartment building, dedicate one room to 12 step meetings and pile "clients" four to a room in all the other apartments, all the time soaking the courts and the insurance companies and above all the "clients" for paying to live there and paying for undergoing weekly urine tests.

The alternative for the clients: jail time which in Nevada means 4:00am breakfasts, snack food from the canteen because the general mess is too dangerous, and drug convictions on your record. So everyone marches off to Drug Court and Diversions and Twelve Step blatherings.

Passages in Malibu is one of the more famous Country Clubs. Lawyers get clients in there as long as the Insurance funds are available. Heck, for years cities such as Manhattan Beach have RENTED their jail cells out to rich white dudes who do not want to do their weekends in DUI jail in the LA Men's Central Jail facility.

Its the same way all over: If you gotta do the Time, at least do it in Style.
February 21st, 2013 at 12:41:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
Are you referring to Passages Malibu?

That's it.

Just take a look at that ad!

Quote: select features
5 luxury estates to choose from. All with ocean view accommodations
2 swimming pools and a jacuzzi
North/South Tennis court
Full gym with personal trainers