Spoiler Dicussion of The Last Jedi

Page 3 of 5<12345>
December 20th, 2017 at 2:56:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Re: Rey's parents - could be a lie. They didn't do the whole seek it in your heart you know it to be true thing.

If Trek fans are Trekkies, what are we to call the new obsessive Star Wars fans? Warsies? :)

Seriously, Rey agrees her parents were Jakku white trash. She was a young child when they abandoned her. She remembers them.

BTW, How come a "nowhere" place like Jakku is so well-known?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 20th, 2017 at 3:14:20 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
BTW, How come a "nowhere" place like Jakku is so well-known?

I'm assuming it's because there was a big battle there based on the wreckage we see in TFA.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 1st, 2018 at 6:42:23 PM permalink
Nareed
I saw it again today. It felt shorter

It's been out three weeks, so I bet the one coworker in our department who likes Science Fiction will not have seen it yet.
January 2nd, 2018 at 4:41:53 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I feel like the jump to hyperspace through the enemy ship was too contrived. If that really is so destructive it would seem like a much more utilized tactic. A whole bunch of little ships equipped with hyperdrive can take down anything. Of course you would need kamikaze pilots. That wouldn't be a problem though because Star Wars really appreciates and celebrates the hero or heroine selfless sacrifice.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 2nd, 2018 at 6:32:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
I feel like the jump to hyperspace through the enemy ship was too contrived. If that really is so destructive it would seem like a much more utilized tactic. A whole bunch of little ships equipped with hyperdrive can take down anything.

For the same reason Japan's Kamikaze tactics in WWII didn't work: because it doesn't work.

Holdo's ship was the biggest capital ship the Resistance has. It took out the First Order's biggest ship, yes, but didn't destroy it. And she managed that much only because the enemy realized too late what she was doing. Any Resistance ship that approaches a Star Destroyer will be shot down before it can jump through her target. A few may make it, but in the meantime you'll lose plenty of ships and pilots for no purpose.

Quote:
Of course you would need kamikaze pilots. That wouldn't be a problem though because Star Wars really appreciates and celebrates the hero or heroine selfless sacrifice.

That's not a good thing.

Here's a better question:

In Episode IV, Tarkin and Vader let the Millennium Falcon escape the Death Star, knowing she'd lead them to the Hidden rebel Base (Hidden rebel Base is a trademark of LucasFilm and Disney). So why was hyperspace tracking all of a sudden a big deal?
January 2nd, 2018 at 6:49:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Who killed Snoke?

We know Ren switched the light-sabre on and penetrated him. But then the CGI Leader has time, and life enough, to glance down and see he is impaled. Next the light-sabre flies off, right into Rey's hand, in the process slicing the Snoke neatly in half. At this point we know the Supreme Computer Animation is dead.

So Kylo impaled him, Rey sliced him.

I say they both killed him.
January 2nd, 2018 at 7:51:27 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think their level of technology is sufficient to have a hyperspace missile that does not require a pilot.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 2nd, 2018 at 7:56:07 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Dalex64
I think their level of technology is sufficient to have a hyperspace missile that does not require a pilot.

Perhaps that will be the deadly weapon the First Order develops in between Eps 8 and 9.

JJ Abrams is writing and directing 9, so we should expect it to mimic Return of the Jedi.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 2nd, 2018 at 8:18:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
Perhaps that will be the deadly weapon the First Order develops in between Eps 8 and 9.

My guess is we'll never again see a ship, missile or grenade going to hyperspace in an attempt to take out another ship.

What I'd like to see is Snoke's force ghost seek revenge on Kylo Ren.
January 2nd, 2018 at 9:23:26 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
according to this

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-starkiller-base-weapon-works-star-wars-2015-12

the starkiller base beam weapon transited hyperspace in some form.

Quote:
At incredible velocity and accelerating exponentially, the concentrated volume of quintessence escaped, transforming as it did so into a state known as phantom energy and following the artificial line of egress that had been provided. Assuming that the rotation and inclination of the planet had been taken into account, the released blast of concentrated phantom energy would travel along a perfectly linear path, punching a small Big Rip through hyperspace itself until it left the galaxy.

Later, Finn described this "Big Rip" as "'sub-hyperspace" when explaining the weapon to the Resistance.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 3 of 5<12345>