A vocation in a vocation

Page 3 of 16<123456>Last »
January 27th, 2018 at 7:17:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Trying to figure out a calling is too mystical for me. At least in the way you're likely doing it.

From a practical standpoint, you usually figure out what you have a knack for. Some people get this early on as a child, some don't get it until much later on, or sometimes perhaps never.

Some people get it completely wrong. (ever watch American Idol. People who think their special calling is singing. Sadly, God had other plans and didn't inform them)

There's always the calling that God wants you to suffer for a decade to learn some lesson. Perhaps that's the one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2018 at 7:30:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I see two themes here: a large community versus a smaller one and a focus on contemplation versus action.

I think these two areas are where your thoughts should be. A parish priest in a smaller parish with fewer distractions might suit you but it would not be a fully contemplative life of reading, prayer, thinking, amid a quiet community of like minded males.

Making beer, bread, wine, shoes, meals, etc. can be rewarding. Most such communities adopt the Shaker motto of Hearts to God, Hands to Work.

It depends upon what you consider an achievement: reading St. Thomas Aquinas, discussing his writings or putting them into practice in your own life.

Perhaps doing a stint in Prison Ministry would do you some good, perhaps just a shift to a smaller area with more limited duties. I think everyone here wishes you luck and are happy to tell you to Never Buy Insurance as well as to tell you to Always Buy Insurance. In the end its your decision and we all hope you will be staying touch with us.
January 27th, 2018 at 7:43:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You could always join the US military as a priest. Different perspective. Pay might actually be better or no worse.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2018 at 9:17:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Of course if God calls me to the monastery.

You mean if you call 'you' to the monastery.
This is what has confused people for eons.
There is no god to call anybody anywhere,
but because they think there is, they look for
signs this non existent god is telling them
to do something. Odd how the 'signs' they
see almost 100% of the time point to what they
wanted to do in the first place. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2018 at 8:10:30 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I came into this thread thinking there is no answer other than what is inside your head, but I think BBB nailed it. Your posts are generally about what Jesus/Christianity/Catholicism can do for a person to help them be better. I think from reading your posts you are better suited to 'the front lines' as a Priest than 'the back office' as a Monk. Your posts imply that it is difficult to get as close to your God as you want in the modern society with all its trappings. When you do achieve that, it will be all the more rewarding to you. Good luck.
January 28th, 2018 at 9:15:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk.

I have only one friend who debated between being a Greek orthodox priest or a monk. He chose to become priest.

Frankly, I imagine that you are far too interested in people to be a monk. You would never join a forum like this, or engage in such a long discussion with Evenbob that has lasted for years.
January 28th, 2018 at 11:36:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
You mean if you call 'you' to the monastery.
This is what has confused people for eons.
There is no god to call anybody anywhere,
but because they think there is, they look for
signs this non existent god is telling them
to do something. Odd how the 'signs' they
see almost 100% of the time point to what they
wanted to do in the first place. lol

Evenbob, I can promise you that it is not me that feels this call to leave my comfort, my family, my friends, and all my worldly possessions to become a monk. In fact these types of struggles I believe are evidence for a God, who is above and other than ourselves.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 28th, 2018 at 11:43:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: SOOPOO
I came into this thread thinking there is no answer other than what is inside your head, but I think BBB nailed it. Your posts are generally about what Jesus/Christianity/Catholicism can do for a person to help them be better. I think from reading your posts you are better suited to 'the front lines' as a Priest than 'the back office' as a Monk. Your posts imply that it is difficult to get as close to your God as you want in the modern society with all its trappings. When you do achieve that, it will be all the more rewarding to you. Good luck.

Thanks SOOPOO and thanks to the others who expressed good luck and true care, I appreciate it very much. I am very glad that I did bring this question to the forum because it has really focused me on a couple of very important questions that will be the grist for my prayer in the coming months. Here is where I am at before my spiritual direction meeting which I hope to have this week or next.

I love the active life of a priest and I love the intense closeness to God monks achieve in their life. Is there a way to have both, first and foremost in my current vocation as a diocesan priest? What can I change in how I live my life that might help me grow ever closer to the Lord in order and discipline? If I cannot do that then is there a certain sacrifice that must be made for the good of more people even if it means I don't live the type of life I want, but rather do what God wants to benefit the most people? Or is it the active life that must be sacrificed for the good of my personal holiness, after all there is a savior and I am not Him, is it wrong of me to think my active ministry is so important?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 28th, 2018 at 12:34:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I love the active life of a priest and I love the intense closeness to God monks achieve in their life. Is there a way to have both, first and foremost in my current vocation as a diocesan priest? What can I change in how I live my life that might help me grow ever closer to the Lord in order and discipline?

Maybe you could be some kind of "hospital" priest or try for a tour overseas helping run an orphanage in Central America?

What I am seeing is you having is the same kind of mid-life career crisis so many of us have had. Even with a vocation, you are human and I can see you feeling in a grind of sorts. Even a change of scenery in the USA maybe could help?
The President is a fink.
January 28th, 2018 at 12:38:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs

I did not speak much with those who were withdrawn. But they did not seem to be in religious ecstasy or even have the spiritual energy of others who interacted. They were simply blank and lifeless..
That must be a terrible misfortune: to be blank and lifeless. Whether a dealer going thru the motions at a break in joint and not making any tips or a convenience store clerk in endless poverty and despair or someone who wanted to lead a meaningful life in a religious order but found only tedium and lifelessness, it must be very difficult.

I know one woman who went thru a bout of poverty but she always read for at least 20 minutes before falling into an exhausted sleep, she did not allow herself to be closed off from the world by her poverty. She kept her mind engaged. I've recently been in my local public library when several people showed up needing help with getting resumes done, getting an email, applying for employment electronically. Many were clearly depressed but many were cheerful and trying hard.
Page 3 of 16<123456>Last »