Greatest Ever Female Vocalist

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
February 18th, 2018 at 5:01:01 AM permalink
FallawayJumper
Threads: 4
IMHO. I love all types of music and especially jazz female vocalists. There are quite a few young ones out there that are really good and are preserving the tradition.

I knew about Ella Fitzgerald but I really didn't like her much. I didn't like her scat singing - the be dee boo bay whee boo y stuff.

Then I heard her cover a song where she didn't do her scat singing or there was just a little of it.

It totally blew me away. I've never heard anyone do anything even close to this.

Because of what I heard here I now believe she is the greatest female vocalist of all time. I'm only considering jazz or pop or rock singers.

You might not agree, but listen to this cover and tell me what you think. I'm curious. The pictures of her when she was young are great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn9A-kdsRo
The Truth is like Poetry. And everybody hates poetry.
February 18th, 2018 at 6:56:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Pretty good
I love Ella
Here is Christina Aguilera crushing it at Etta James funeral doing Etta's "At Last"
Incredible performance
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2018 at 7:54:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Karen Carpenter.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 18th, 2018 at 9:17:01 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Nareed
Karen Carpenter.

I think it would be fair to nominate each of those listed above as the best of their generation. Great choices.

I could agree with anyone selected from my list below, in no particular order. If pushed to pick one, it would probably be Ella.

I have to say, there's no one I would rather soak in when I'm funked out than Karen Carpenter, though. She's liquid gold, and I've missed and mourned her for 30 years. Just imagine what she could have done with a more challenging repertoire.

Ella Fitzgerald
Barbra Streisand
Karen Carpenter
Bette Midler
Linda Ronstadt
Whitney Houston
Christina Aguilera
Celine Dion
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 18th, 2018 at 9:19:53 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: FallawayJumper
IMHO. I love all types of music and especially jazz female vocalists. There are quite a few young ones out there that are really good and are preserving the tradition.

I knew about Ella Fitzgerald but I really didn't like her much. I didn't like her scat singing - the be dee boo bay whee boo y stuff.

Then I heard her cover a song where she didn't do her scat singing or there was just a little of it.

It totally blew me away. I've never heard anyone do anything even close to this.

Because of what I heard here I now believe she is the greatest female vocalist of all time. I'm only considering jazz or pop or rock singers.

You might not agree, but listen to this cover and tell me what you think. I'm curious. The pictures of her when she was young are great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn9A-kdsRo

You might try "Ella Sings Gershwin" and "Ella Sings Cole Porter" for some of her finest work. Not every track on either, but more than a few, are the absolute standard of songs covered by dozens of other artists.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 18th, 2018 at 9:29:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FallawayJumper
IMHO. I love all types of music and especially jazz female vocalists.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 18th, 2018 at 9:57:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs

Ella Fitzgerald
Barbra Streisand
Karen Carpenter
Bette Midler
Linda Ronstadt
Whitney Houston
Christina Aguilera
Celine Dion
I'd add Anita O'Day. (Best thing that ever happened to her was that surgeon whose scalpel slipped during her childhood tonsillectomy; Worst thing was when Charlie Parker turned her on to heroin and she said 'better than a martini, better than sex ... I'll have some more"). Pig latin was big in those days, particularly in the jazz world, so when she took the name O'Day it was a bold move. Didn't work out all that well for her though.
February 18th, 2018 at 9:59:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Stevie Nicks
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 18th, 2018 at 11:09:46 AM permalink
FallawayJumper
Threads: 4
Quote: beachbumbabs
You might try "Ella Sings Gershwin" and "Ella Sings Cole Porter" for some of her finest work. Not every track on either, but more than a few, are the absolute standard of songs covered by dozens of other artists.

Yeah, thanks. I didn't know about that stuff. I'm listening to it now. It's excellent. She's awesome. I like all the other singers mentioned too. To me, Ella's voice is very special. Very powerful and versatile. YouTube is amazing. Millions of music uploads. Not all great quality but so what. I'm a musician but I learned a lot from YouTube. A lot of great music I didn't know about.
The Truth is like Poetry. And everybody hates poetry.
February 18th, 2018 at 11:52:04 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
Stevie Nicks
Yep, Stevie. Janis Joplin had a great voice as well.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 1 of 71234>Last »