I Love Youtube

December 13th, 2022 at 5:40:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 14th, 2022 at 5:34:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The cultural study of cheerleading.

one culture down and counting.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2022 at 10:10:58 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
I don't like Comments turned off when I look up music videos on YouTube and want to read comments and post too. 😒 About "Comments turned off," I remember at least one Uploader saying something like,"All of a sudden, I was no longer getting notifications on my phone about Comments to my uploaded video. I checked my video, and YouTube turned off comments without telling me anything. I fought YouTube to turn back on Comments and they did."
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
December 22nd, 2022 at 4:05:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm getting something new, random ads interrupting various youtube videos. As far as I can tell, it's the channel owner who decides whether or not to have these ads.

All I can say is I am not so quick now to watch new channels, spending time sizing up such. You usually get a hint that it is a channel that's not going to try to have real content, but just trying to monetize ... similar to the click-bait phenom.

I fear , though, that it is spreading to channels I like. Marginal such are going to go bye-bye
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 22nd, 2022 at 5:44:16 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm getting something new, random ads interrupting various youtube videos. As far as I can tell, it's the channel owner who decides whether or not to have these ads.

All I can say is I am not so quick now to watch new channels, spending time sizing up such. You usually get a hint that it is a channel that's not going to try to have real content, but just trying to monetize ... similar to the click-bait phenom.

I fear , though, that it is spreading to channels I like. Marginal such are going to go bye-bye

I regularly get advertisements when watching Youtube videos. I just assumed everybody does. I don't subscribe to any channels I just occasionally watch a random video that pops up when I search for something.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 22nd, 2022 at 6:02:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: DRich
I regularly get advertisements when watching Youtube videos. I just assumed everybody does. I don't subscribe to any channels I just occasionally watch a random video that pops up when I search for something.
Youtube 'kind of' subscribes you by keeping track of what you like and repeating that. If you subscribe you can make sure yuo don't miss anything

as for ads, in previous experience, until a few days ago, the video might have an ad as part of the video, easily skipped of course. Now I am getting interruption-type ads that are not part of the video, some not easily skipped, though usually brief. It's the random interruption , plus the additional load of commercials, both, that I don't like.

my own experience at least
December 26th, 2022 at 10:03:13 AM permalink
rxwine

Or possibly for some Canadian husbands...
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 29th, 2022 at 8:17:15 AM permalink
rxwine
January 13th, 2023 at 5:36:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: odiousgambit

The randomly inserted ads have stopped. I think I figured out that my ad blocker wasn't working, but now it is again. It posts how many ads it stopped, for a while it was zero, now it's about 6, every time I watch a video.
January 18th, 2023 at 10:44:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
OMG
The Three Body Problem is out and on YouTube
Somebody put in English subtitles
Oh yea
Been lookin forward to this
This is the Chinese version of the 1st Chinese science fiction book to win the Hugo award
Netflix still working on their own version
1st episode in the Chinese series
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"