Future of Commercial TV

June 2nd, 2014 at 9:00:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I may have mentioned this before, but my brother did some work on this mansion 50 miles north of Atlanta. Two elevators, 20 bathrooms, an acre of square footage, etc. Cost $50 million to build and the guy never lived in it. He sold the whole thing for less than 20 cents on the dollar.
June 2nd, 2014 at 9:56:17 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
Cost $50 million to build and the guy never lived in it. He sold the whole thing for less than 20 cents on the dollar.

I just can't understand that. I mean, I remember buying something I "really wanted" only to find out I didn't really want it and wasted my money. I was 12yrs old. How do you get old enough to afford a house like that and not figure that out by then?

Quote: AZDuffman

What is killing the average American family right now is they buy the big house and fill it with junk.

Yes! My ex-wife drove me nuts with that. "We need a bigger house". No, idiot, we need to get rid of all this $#% we don't need!

Because that's what you'll do. You can't have a bare room. Even if it never gets used, you will still fill it full of bs. Like, I love my fishing room. It is very cozy and comfortable, and I absolutely love the vibe in there. But I don't need it. My fishing gear could easily be stored in a (large) closet. But because I have those 300 sq/ft, it's filled with a couch we never use, a log table we never use, picture frames and knick-knacks that could go somewhere else... it's a thousand dollar room, plus heating, cooling, and maintenance. Filled with stuff for no other reason than we have the space.

Now once I pay for it I may get a bigger place lot-wise where I can put up a 4 car barn-garage. I will have my regular car and a convertible for summer. Put a sign in front saying "Small Items Sandblasted/Welded" for extra cash. Naturally it will not be in suburbia but on a busy road but not a highway. Screw HOAs.

When Ash graduates from law school and can't find a job in dead Buffalo, I'll make sure to mention looking in the Pittsburgh area =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 2nd, 2014 at 12:05:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
They're all very small, and connected by hallways

The rooms are small because there was no
central heat when it was built. Big houses
were mostly closed off in the winter and
small rooms were easier to heat than large
ones.

I have a 160 year old mansion down the road
from me and was disappointed at how crude
the interior was when I finally got inside. Very
small rooms and no woodwork. Big was all it
had going for it, 10 bedrooms.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2014 at 3:46:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Yes! My ex-wife drove me nuts with that. "We need a bigger house". No, idiot, we need to get rid of all this $#% we don't need!

Because that's what you'll do. You can't have a bare room. Even if it never gets used, you will still fill it full of bs. Like, I love my fishing room. It is very cozy and comfortable, and I absolutely love the vibe in there. But I don't need it. My fishing gear could easily be stored in a (large) closet. But because I have those 300 sq/ft, it's filled with a couch we never use, a log table we never use, picture frames and knick-knacks that could go somewhere else... it's a thousand dollar room, plus heating, cooling, and maintenance. Filled with stuff for no other reason than we have the space.

I've become so much more aware of this the past 6-7 years or so. I think it started when I had to live with very little space in AZ, the first two months just with what I could fit in my car. Some things like tools have utility even if you only use them every so often. The knock-knacks are the killers. Just no need for so much more room which you soon become a slave to via carrying costs.

I remember a WSJ article in the late 1990s about how much it was getting to cost to heat and cool McMansions. Same as the one step nicer car, it all costs more. My bigger problem now is taking cast off junk. I sell some, but not all. Stop by if you need a 25" Color TV, 20" also.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2014 at 5:17:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Stop by if you need a 25" Color TV, 20" also.

If they are console TV's, I don't think Goodwill takes them anymore. Better hurry up and recycle them before you must pay to have them recycled.
June 2nd, 2014 at 5:36:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
If they are console TV's, I don't think Goodwill takes them anymore. Better hurry up and recycle them before you must pay to have them recycled.

They are tube set, can't give them away. But they still work. I won't pay on general principle, I'd take them apart and trash them piece by piece.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2014 at 5:52:07 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
They are tube set, can't give them away. But they still work. I won't pay on general principle, I'd take them apart and trash them piece by piece.

The Salvation Army here was still taking them last year. They have guys who'll strip 'em down and recycle parts (raw materials) that are worth something.

I do actually know someone who'd take a 25-30 inch tube TV right now for free....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 2nd, 2014 at 5:57:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
The Salvation Army here was still taking them last year. They have guys who'll strip 'em down and recycle parts (raw materials) that are worth something.

I do actually know someone who'd take a 25-30 inch tube TV right now for free....

Goodwill and Vietnam Vets here won't touch em. The vets wouldn't take a fax and old scanner both of which I threw in the trash. The TVs I just keep in the basement just in case. If I take a tour in North Dakota I'd take one with me and leave it. If whoever takes my rental unit wants one it is theirs. Pisses me off in some ways, they work fine excepting they need a digital converter. I mean, with three they will never all break in this lifetime. So I will hold them until I have reason to dump them.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2014 at 6:09:44 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
At some point, the metal inside them could be worth someone recycling again and they will take 'em. Shrug. It is annoying. 'Consumer' electronics indeed.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 2nd, 2014 at 6:36:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Pisses me off in some ways, they work fine excepting they need a digital converter. I mean, with three they will never all break in this lifetime. So I will hold them until I have reason to dump them.

CRT glass contains a significant amount of lead. Right now there is organizations and laws in place to recycle them. Best Buy's around here will take them. Sooner or later they will become harder and harder to recycle as the stockpile grows smaller.

People will soon look at CRT's the way we look at old text monitors