survival, foraging, etc

Page 18 of 18« First<15161718
June 11th, 2023 at 10:11:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Gandler
Anyone have thoughts on 10mm sidearms as a wilderness weapon? Seems like a good balance to stop the most extreme (brown bear) without being cumbersome?

Also, seems like a good multiuse firearm (everyday carry, home defense, and wilderness).

Beleive it or not I have never shot 10mm so I am curious if anyone has experience? Can it stop bears? (Which I know sounds silly typing it, but serious question).
Youtube spies on me via my google account ... getting evidence of that all the time. I think if the government ever gets totalitarian and correlationally repressive I'd have to give up google and maybe all but the minimalist usage of the internet

but in any case youtube suggested this video, which is pretty good

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 11th, 2023 at 12:33:53 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
This is one area rock dust (volcanic material) comes in handy.

Cows will usually graze along the magnetic lines on Earth.

This is similar but not like iron, and other metals.

"Paramagnetism happens when the spin of atoms or molecules within a substance are able to temporarily align themselves with the direction of the electromagnetic field they are placed in..."

---------------------------

Paramagnetism: How Phil Callahan’s Discovery Can Super-Charge Your Garden
“Paramagnetic force is light from rocks for the roots. The rock is actually a transceiver, collecting magnetism from the cosmos and throwing it back out to the roots. If you take a paramagnetic rock and put it into Dr [Fritz-Albert] Popp’s lab in Germany and measure it with his instruments which count photons one at a time, you’ll find that a highly paramagnetic rock puts out 2,000 to 4,000 photons. If you put that rock with some compost, if you treat it organically, it goes from 2,000 to 4,000 photons to 400,000 photons. Now you are generating a light for roots.” – Phil Callahan
https://subtle.energy/paramagnetism-how-phil-callahans-discovery-can-super-charge-your-garden/

----------------------------
June 11th, 2023 at 4:44:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
Youtube spies on me via my google account ... getting evidence of that all the time. I think if the government ever gets totalitarian and correlationally repressive I'd have to give up google and maybe all but the minimalist usage of the internet

but in any case youtube suggested this video, which is pretty good

It's a good comparison, I am still biased towards 10mm (despite not having one). It seems like a good balance between an everyday carry that can also be sufficient in the wilderness.

44s are cool and all, but they are hard enough to shoot well in controlled settings, I can't imagine using one in an actual survival scenario where seconds count (and if you have to reload forget it).
June 13th, 2023 at 10:19:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

44s are cool and all, but they are hard enough to shoot well in controlled settings, I can't imagine using one in an actual survival scenario where seconds count (and if you have to reload forget it).

I can't imagine a scenario that I would be in where I would have to reload. Most will run away as soon as you begin shooting.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 13th, 2023 at 6:05:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
I can't imagine a scenario that I would be in where I would have to reload. Most will run away as soon as you begin shooting.

Bears run from you when you begin shooting them? Are these black bears? I can't imagine this being the case with any kind of brown or white bears.
June 15th, 2023 at 6:27:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Bears run from you when you begin shooting them? Are these black bears?

Yes, if you put the shot between their eyes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 2nd, 2023 at 6:07:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Do you think it'd be fair to use a mirror to lure animals to hunt?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2023 at 5:52:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Of course the maker of the meal didn't get sick. The only one she didn't manage to kill was her ex-husband, but he's critically ill.

Quote:
A meal of suspected death cap mushrooms served at a family lunch in late July is at the center of a homicide investigation in Australia following the deaths of three guests less than a week later.

Erin Patterson served the meal to her former parents-in-law and her mother-in-law’s sister and husband, who were guests at her home in the town of Leongatha in southern Victoria, on July 29, according to Victoria Police.

Quote:
Toxins in death cap mushrooms cannot be destroyed by boiling, cooking, freezing, or drying
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2023 at 7:59:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
saw this

suspicious that she didn't 'care for any' herself but [it would seem] the enthusiast who picked them and invited all to dinner

that's unconfirmed, details like that are sketchy
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 24th, 2023 at 5:53:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Page 18 of 18« First<15161718