survival, foraging, etc

Page 16 of 18« First<131415161718>
May 13th, 2023 at 7:45:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Ha! Mr. Nutrition, Bob, is missing out [having declared eating wild mushrooms beyond the pale]

Quote:
... mushrooms ... are the only source of this totally vegetable vitamin [D, particularly D2]. Like humans, mushrooms also increase the formation of vitamin D after exposure to sunlight. For this reason, wild mushrooms usually have more vitamin D than cultivated mushrooms, with dried mushrooms being the most vitamin D-rich plant foods.

https://www.breakinglatest.news/health/here-are-the-foods-to-eat-immediately/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 17th, 2023 at 6:58:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Killer mushroom toxin may have met its match, though it's cautioned that those accidentally consuming the particular poison mushrooms would need to seek medical aid before they get sick, which is not the usual scenario

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01630-9
May 17th, 2023 at 7:31:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Killer mushroom toxin may have met its match, though it's cautioned that those accidentally consuming the particular poison mushrooms would need to seek medical aid before they get sick, which is not the usual scenario

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01630-9

Who knew 1950s Kodak might lead to an antidote in mushroom poisoning.

On the other hand. Bon Appetit!

"... death caps can taste quite nice, according to people who have accidentally eaten them and survived."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 17th, 2023 at 7:36:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Have you seen any deathcaps when you're out and about?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 17th, 2023 at 9:28:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Have you seen any deathcaps when you're out and about?
Yes, seem pretty common. I'd say though most of the time I don't investigate much when I see them, so could be misidentifying some.

I am completely safe from accidentally picking the worst mushrooms to eat by mistake as I refuse to eat any that have gills. This keeps me from eating the honey mushrooms a lot of which I am finding in certain spots ... being 99% sure of that ID, which is not good enough!
May 17th, 2023 at 9:50:26 AM permalink
rxwine
I didn't see anything online when I looked, but I was wondering if you can eat a minimal amount as a test. I've watched survivalist try unknown plants in very small quantities and scratch tests. (scratching the skin and exposing a little of the plant to see if there is a reaction)

Nope, not going to try it myself.
May 17th, 2023 at 10:29:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I didn't see anything online when I looked, but I was wondering if you can eat a minimal amount as a test. I've watched survivalist try unknown plants in very small quantities and scratch tests. (scratching the skin and exposing a little of the plant to see if there is a reaction)

Nope, not going to try it myself.
this is not recommended with mushrooms at all, as there is too much delay until symptoms. Also, in some cases like deathcap all doses are dangerous
May 17th, 2023 at 11:35:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
this is not recommended with mushrooms at all, as there is too much delay until symptoms. Also, in some cases like deathcap all doses are dangerous

They’re probably some natural order argument, that if something tastes good, you should be able to eat it. But then that’s why natural order arguments fall apart ultimately.
May 31st, 2023 at 10:46:08 AM permalink
rxwine
You ever use a horse to hide behind to go hunting? Watching an old movie where walking on the ground hiding behind his horse enables him to get up close for a good shot, because animals don't know how many legs a horse has. You can see 6 legs but no man. He's walking parallel to the horse.
May 31st, 2023 at 12:44:52 PM permalink
odiousgambit
You ever use a horse to hide behind to go hunting? Watching an old movie where walking on the ground hiding behind his horse enables him to get up close for a good shot, because animals don't know how many legs a horse has. You can see 6 legs but no man. He's walking parallel to the horse.
no not a horse guy

the animals can't count, that would be true. What their instincts do for them anyway is remarkable
Page 16 of 18« First<131415161718>