2019 Deadpool

March 6th, 2019 at 2:41:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
On today’s Jeopardy, Alex Trebek announced he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Oh man. That's sad. I've grown up with Alex. It has been my dream to be on Jeopardy and I've always pictured it with him as the host and talking about how I stole the name of his former game show, "Wizard of Odds." Here is his announcement:

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cInGyxCY9k

I won't send him any prayers, but I'm certainly pulling for him to win the fight.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 6th, 2019 at 2:56:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Oh man. That's sad. I've grown up with Alex.

He'll be 79 in a few months, if he
lives that long.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2019 at 3:17:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Aretha Franklin died of pancreatic cancer, although I would have guessed heart disease related to obesity would have taken her out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 6th, 2019 at 4:06:08 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Oh man. That's sad. I've grown up with Alex. It has been my dream to be on Jeopardy and I've always pictured it with him as the host and talking about how I stole the name of his former game show, "Wizard of Odds." Here is his announcement:

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cInGyxCY9k

I won't send him any prayers, but I'm certainly pulling for him to win the fight.
Don't mean to sidetrack but do you think it's more important to know wicked lots of stuff or to be quick on the button if you want to win at Jeopardy.
March 6th, 2019 at 4:27:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: pew

Don't mean to sidetrack but do you think it's more important to know wicked lots of stuff or to be quick on the button if you want to win at Jeopardy.

We used to have a Jeopardy champion on here.

Jeopardy has about the toughest screening process out there. Everyone on it knows lots of stuff. I'd say once you get there you need to be fast.
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2019 at 6:31:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Sadly, almost nobody beats pancreatic cancer (especially stage 4).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 6th, 2019 at 7:13:18 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
It has been my dream to be on Jeopardy and I've always pictured it with him as the host and talking about how I stole the name of his former game show, "Wizard of Odds."

I have a vague memory that the Wizard has a Jeopardy story. Didn't you try out for the show? Or did you know someone who did?
March 6th, 2019 at 10:01:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: reno
I have a vague memory that the Wizard has a Jeopardy story. Didn't you try out for the show? Or did you know someone who did?

Our own Teddys (at WoV) was on three times I think. However, I have only failed the online test twice. I did try out for the Weakest Link, but didn't get past their screening process either.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 8th, 2019 at 9:38:42 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Jan-Michael Vincent, probably best known from the TV show Airwolf, died on Feb 10 at the age of 74.

According to IMDB the last thing he did in movies and television was in 2002, to which the IMDB bio said "ongoing health issues and personal problems seem to preclude his return to the screen"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 8th, 2019 at 10:00:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
Jan-Michael Vincent, probably best known from the TV show Airwolf, died on Feb 10 at the age of 74.
"

JMV ruined his life and career with
drug abuse. He was a big star in the
80's and got into cocaine/booze and blew
his TV show. I enjoyed him in Winds
of War, but like so many he couldn't
handle fame and fortune.

He was making $250K an episode, highest
on TV. By the third season, his drinking
and drug use had gotten so out of control,
he rarely showed up for work sober enough
to recite his lines. Then in 96 he was drunk
and hit a pole in his car and broke his
neck. How he lived to 74 is a miracle.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.