May 12th, 2019 at 10:07:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Dallas was on for 14 years and I
never saw a single ep of it or
Dynasty. Was not into TV at all
in the 80's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2019 at 11:40:52 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob

in the 80's.
Yeah, really horrid suits during the 80s. Loud colors, super wide ties and lapels, Real repugnant. Couldn't stand it.
May 12th, 2019 at 1:11:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: pew
Quote: Evenbob

in the 80's.
Yeah, really horrid suits during the 80s. Loud colors, super wide ties and lapels, Real repugnant. Couldn't stand it.

Sounds more like late-70s.

Looking back "Dallas" seems so silly. Knowing what I know now about the oil business I go crazy over what they showed.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2019 at 1:20:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
....Looking back "Dallas" seems so silly. Knowing what I know now about the oil business I go crazy over what they showed.
Do you have a "for instance"?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 12th, 2019 at 2:16:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Do you have a "for instance"?

In the reboot. Bobby wants to sell Southfork but wants to respect his grandfather's wishes of no drilling there, ever. Now, this is the easiest thing to do. All you do is put the phrase, "excepting and reserving oil, gas, and other minerals" in the deed. But he sells it and JR buys it back, then proceeds to drill.

As a bonus, another from the reboot. They are buying some piece of property and they "find an old lease" after the fact. For those of you not in the industry, if there is a well on the property, there is a lease. If no well, simple courthouse research will show a lease, usually less than 5 years old.

I cannot find a way to explain how simple either of these things are. It drove me crazy on the rebooot. The big thing on the old one was how much money they said they made or lost. I also figured out how unreal it was for Jeb to make so much of his oil. Red Pill life can be hard.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2019 at 2:41:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know how anyone could watch anything without suspending judgement. Even the most real scenarios, are usually exaggerated for effect, and the most interesting life had plenty of unwatchable boredom, if you included everything.

OTOH, there are some events so unbelievable it can only be sold to the audience when they are aware it really happened. But you could never pass it off as fiction.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2019 at 3:12:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In the reboot. Bobby wants to sell Southfork but wants to respect his grandfather's wishes of no drilling there, ever. Now, this is the easiest thing to do. All you do is put the phrase, "excepting and reserving oil, gas, and other minerals" in the deed. But he sells it and JR buys it back, then proceeds to drill.

As a bonus, another from the reboot. They are buying some piece of property and they "find an old lease" after the fact. For those of you not in the industry, if there is a well on the property, there is a lease. If no well, simple courthouse research will show a lease, usually less than 5 years old.

I cannot find a way to explain how simple either of these things are. It drove me crazy on the rebooot. The big thing on the old one was how much money they said they made or lost. I also figured out how unreal it was for Jeb to make so much of his oil. Red Pill life can be hard.
Thanks. I never watched the reboot. I was a Larry Hagman fan from the original though.

If you are referring to Jeb on Beverly Hillbilly's, that was a lot of money.

My wife has a friend who inherited an oil well when his mother passed. It only produces about 9 bpd, but steady. Not bad.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 12th, 2019 at 3:25:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

My wife has a friend who inherited an oil well when his mother passed. It only produces about 9 bpd, but steady. Not bad.

My brother-in-law also inherited oil wells. I don't know how much he gets, but when his niece totaled her car, he bought her a new one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2019 at 3:45:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Thanks. I never watched the reboot. I was a Larry Hagman fan from the original though.

If you are referring to Jeb on Beverly Hillbilly's, that was a lot of money.

Yes, that Jeb. I did the math at the $/bbl price at the time and his 1/8 royalty. Lets just say he would live well, but not a millionaire.

In the original, the amount of money the Ewing had never made sense, either. For example, no independent oil company would own their own skyscraper. Another was a plot line where Cliff is in charge of setting production, some disguised name of the Texas Railroad Commission. Thing is by then there were no production limits in Texas.

Take the red pill and it is hard to enjoy the little things.
The President is a fink.