Quote: petroglyph
Funny, my wife has never drank a cup of coffee

I wish that was my wife. It's either
too hot or too cold or they don't
have the right creamer or where
can I get coffee or it's too strong
or too weak. Thank god I don't
see her very often.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 25th, 2018 at 2:28:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I never measure anything when cooking, but go on feel. Same with making coffee, I go by eyeballing the amount in the filter.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 25th, 2018 at 8:19:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It always bothered me some that a 10 or 12 cup drip coffee maker only make 6 cups for my wife and I with our normal coffee cup which is not oversize for what I consider a normal cup of coffee. 4 heaping tablespoons of coffee is all I put in the basket and that make a stronger cup of coffee than I can usually buy in a restaurant. I think the cheaper the coffee you buy the more you have to put in to get an equivalent strength.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 26th, 2018 at 3:20:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
there's a fix for making coffee too strong, add water and maybe microwave it. But if you make it too weak, easiest just to throw it out. So that's the problem i'd have with not measuring.

I guess the manufacturers of coffee makers decided they should indicate a cup as an amount that would fill those smallish teacups that were used so much in yesteryear
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2018 at 3:57:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
It always bothered me some that a 10 or 12 cup drip coffee maker only make 6 cups for my wife and I with our normal coffee cup which is not oversize for what I consider a normal cup of coffee.

Calling a 5 ounce coffee a cup is what I associate with a European Cappuccino.
December 26th, 2018 at 4:55:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
there's a fix for making coffee too strong, add water and maybe microwave it. But if you make it too weak, easiest just to throw it out. So that's the problem i'd have with not measuring.

I guess the manufacturers of coffee makers decided they should indicate a cup as an amount that would fill those smallish teacups that were used so much in yesteryear

Do you microwave coffee? I hate doing that. It does not taste right to me.

My adc died about a year ago. Bad switch. I used it a lot 20 years ago then down to just a few times per year. Learn to cold brew. Much better.
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2018 at 5:15:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Do you microwave coffee? I hate doing that. It does not taste right to me.
for sure you cannot let it boil, that ruins coffee.

Have you ever made coffee while camping? You can make very good 'cowboy coffee' by bringing the water to boiling in a pot, then taking it off the heat and adding your coffee grains. Just let it steep for a few minutes, I like to shake it too to get the grains to sink. If you put it back on the heat because it's really cold out, make sure it does *not* boil, even for a second. Don't know why, but it ruins it. You need a strainer if you use an ordinary pot. I've gone to the trouble of getting the old style coffee pot, which strains as it pours......................................
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2018 at 6:19:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: kenarman
It always bothered me some that a 10 or 12 cup drip coffee maker only make 6 cups for my wife and I with our normal coffee cup which is not oversize for what I consider a normal cup of coffee.

There is a thread somewhere about how a can of soup is supposed to have two servings. 100% of the time I will eat the whole can if I open it. Same thing with a "cup" of coffee. Nobody drinks coffee from a cup that only holds a cup.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 26th, 2018 at 9:46:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
There is a thread somewhere about how a can of soup is supposed to have two servings. 100% of the time I will eat the whole can if I open it. Same thing with a "cup" of coffee. Nobody drinks coffee from a cup that only holds a cup.

I pulled a tiny 10.5 ounce can of Campbell condensed soup from the shelf. It looks like a tiny can, but it says in big letters

25% Less Sodium than our regular product

If you look at the label it says 650 mg per serving, but a serving size is only 4 ounces. So 650/4*10.5 = 1706.25 mg for the entire can which is most of your suggested daily intake of 2300-2400 mg.

Page 2 of 2<12