The big question is, why you put
up with it. Do you enjoy being
kicked around like a soccer ball?
I wouldn't put up with even 2%
of this crap, I'd flip burgers
before letting myself get demeaned
like this. I have an extremely low
tolerance for being disrespected.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2019 at 1:52:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
My opinion is Protodick is trying
to make you look incompetent
as a way of getting rid of you again.
The big question is, why you put
up with it. Do you enjoy being
kicked around like a soccer ball?
I wouldn't put up with even 2%
of this crap, I'd flip burgers
before letting myself get demeaned
like this. I have an extremely low
tolerance for being disrespected.

Flipping burgers will not pay my bills
June 13th, 2019 at 2:14:11 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Not where I learned to type.

One space after a comma. Two after a period.

In the post right before mine that you quoted, you used one space. I understand that you might be referring to formal vs casual. However, when I learned to write (majored in English Writing, 1970s) there was no doubt: one space, regardless of the intent formal or casual.

But, it is okay either way. It is readable, so it doesn't matter. It is a personal style. I've never noticed when someone used two spaces after a period, unless it was pointed out to me.
June 13th, 2019 at 2:56:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Flipping burgers will not pay my bills

You missed my point. I exaggerated
for effectiveness.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2019 at 2:58:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
In the post right before mine that you quoted, you used one space. I understand that you might be referring to formal vs casual. However, when I learned to write (majored in English Writing, 1970s) there was no doubt: one space, regardless of the intent formal or casual.

But, it is okay either way. It is readable, so it doesn't matter. It is a personal style. I've never noticed when someone used two spaces after a period, unless it was pointed out to me.

I occasionally fall into informal and use one. But as a rule I use 2, as I learned on a Selectric II.
The President is a fink.
June 13th, 2019 at 6:37:04 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The forum software and/or html will collapse multiple spaces, outside of code tags, so it only looks like one space.
If you hit "Quote" to reply, you will see the original spacing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 14th, 2019 at 6:21:51 AM permalink
aceofspades
So The Owner called me into the conference room to go over a brief I have been editing (I did not write this brief, it was written by an appellate attorney we deal with and The Owner will slap his name on it - but I have done the editing and have been dealing with the printer (for this particular type of brief, we use an outside pricing service) — so, apparently, the outside printer rep put my name on the back of the brief (I assume she figured since I was the one she was dealing with that I was the one that wrote it) — so, The Owner calls me into the conference room and turns to the page with my name on it and crosses it out violently, inserts his name and draws a giant star next to his name and tells me putting my name on the brief is “inexcusable” - I informed him the outside printer rep did it and I had not see this new version she sent over - he dismissed me and 5 minutes later called me back into the conference room to reiterate that I should have never put my name on the brief and now, since he already sent it to the client (who told him to do that…considering it is not even the final version???) he will have a lot of explaining to do as to why I felt the need to put my name on it — uhmmmmm, hello McFly, I did not put my name on it - the outside printer rep did — Ughhhhh - Happy Friday!
June 14th, 2019 at 6:33:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
So The Owner called me into the conference room to go over a brief I have been editing (I did not write this brief, it was written by an appellate attorney we deal with and The Owner will slap his name on it - but I have done the editing and have been dealing with the printer (for this particular type of brief, we use an outside pricing service) — so, apparently, the outside printer rep put my name on the back of the brief (I assume she figured since I was the one she was dealing with that I was the one that wrote it) — so, The Owner calls me into the conference room and turns to the page with my name on it and crosses it out violently, inserts his name and draws a giant star next to his name and tells me putting my name on the brief is “inexcusable” - I informed him the outside printer rep did it and I had not see this new version she sent over - he dismissed me and 5 minutes later called me back into the conference room to reiterate that I should have never put my name on the brief and now, since he already sent it to the client (who told him to do that…considering it is not even the final version???) he will have a lot of explaining to do as to why I felt the need to put my name on it — uhmmmmm, hello McFly, I did not put my name on it - the outside printer rep did — Ughhhhh - Happy Friday!

I am reading this and I see myself in 2002. Right down to the fact that my boss was located on Long Island. I was so miserable that months after I got fired people I knew said I sounded so much happier. It was a kind people on Prozac get, they do not feel a ton better but everyone around them notices. It got to the point that I once actually did not even bother lying to my Boss about not doing something I felt was unethical. And to this day there are 5 other guys out there somewhere who tell the story, I guarantee it, it was that good a moment!

Anyways, I do have to say, you need to get out of there as fast as possible. Like you, I had the golden handcuffs on. I should have downsized my life sooner. Know better now. Can you downsize so you can get out of there? Do whatever you can, because you do not want to live this way dragging on for years.
The President is a fink.
June 14th, 2019 at 7:00:30 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: AZDuffman
I am reading this and I see myself in 2002. Right down to the fact that my boss was located on Long Island. I was so miserable that months after I got fired people I knew said I sounded so much happier. It was a kind people on Prozac get, they do not feel a ton better but everyone around them notices. It got to the point that I once actually did not even bother lying to my Boss about not doing something I felt was unethical. And to this day there are 5 other guys out there somewhere who tell the story, I guarantee it, it was that good a moment!

Anyways, I do have to say, you need to get out of there as fast as possible. Like you, I had the golden handcuffs on. I should have downsized my life sooner. Know better now. Can you downsize so you can get out of there? Do whatever you can, because you do not want to live this way dragging on for years.

I have nowhere to go to downsize - my bills are at the minimum amount I can make them unless I sold my condo and lived in a youth hostel
June 14th, 2019 at 7:26:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I have nowhere to go to downsize - my bills are at the minimum amount I can make them unless I sold my condo and lived in a youth hostel

A version of that is what it tool to right my ship.
The President is a fink.