The Gay Thread

April 18th, 2021 at 7:54:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
You've never heard of a single straight couple

You keep using the word 'couple', what are you talkin about. Two 23 year olds who are living together or a couple that's been married for 10 years in committed relationship. They aren't even close to the same thing, they are eons apart. Who gives a rip what two kids living together do, I'm talking about people trying to make a marriage work. And you don't do that by having third parties come into the relationship and screw everything up. Hollywood movies make it look like it works, it doesn't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 19th, 2021 at 10:08:13 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
You keep using the word 'couple', what are you talkin about. Two 23 year olds who are living together or a couple that's been married for 10 years in committed relationship. They aren't even close to the same thing, they are eons apart. Who gives a rip what two kids living together do, I'm talking about people trying to make a marriage work. And you don't do that by having third parties come into the relationship and screw everything up. Hollywood movies make it look like it works, it doesn't.

Couple generally means two people who are romantically involved, often, but not always exclusively. Couple can mean married, or two people who have been long term dating.

I'm not recommending threesomes for married couples trying to fix a marriage (I am not sure where that came from).

But, it is a common fantasy of many couples (and more than occasionally acted on by some).... I find it hard to believe that you know many gay couples that try to have threesomes "every weekend", but have never met a straight couple that has even mentioned it.

Also, couples are couples, I agree time of relationship changes dynamics, but I am not sure if being married automatically does (there are some people who date for decades, and some people who marry after a couple months).
April 19th, 2021 at 11:31:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Gandler
Couple generally means two people who are romantically involved, often, but not always exclusively. .

Who cares about those people and what they do, they can screw farm animals for all I care. I'm talking about married people in committed relationships, they are the only ones that count.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 19th, 2021 at 5:52:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Who cares about those people and what they do, they can screw farm animals for all I care. I'm talking about married people in committed relationships, they are the only ones that count.

Why are the only people who count to you married people in committed relationships?
April 19th, 2021 at 7:24:52 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just read a stat that 17% of Americans are married to someone of a different race. The number shocked me but I think it is great.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 20th, 2021 at 2:18:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
I just read a stat that 17% of Americans are married to someone of a different race. The number shocked me but I think it is great.

I think that stat includes both race and ethnicity. Historically black people and native Americans frequently intermarried. White husbands and Asian wives are very common today.

Intolerance is just as high: 19% of "other" ethnic groups, 18% of blacks, 17% of whites, and 15% of Hispanics oppose "interracial" marriage

Attitudes towards interracial marriage can vary depending upon the race of the union and the person judging them - for example,
Black women expressed less approval for black men-white women marriages than the reverse, and
Asian men less approval of white men-Asian women marriages than the reverse.
April 20th, 2021 at 2:33:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

That number seems high. To be that high younger people would need to be marrying other races at a 40% or so rate to balance out older people not marrying interracial. I do not think it is great or bad. I do get tired of people who act better than others because they are dating interracial.
The President is a fink.
April 20th, 2021 at 3:47:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
That number seems high

That number is much higher than percentage reported by census bureau.That has to include ethnic marriages like Japanese and Indian, or White and Latino.

The census bureau reported 3.9% of the total number of married couples in 2008 were inter-racial. These statistics do not take into account the mixing of ancestries within the same "race"; e.g. a marriage involving Indian and Japanese ancestries would not be classified as interracial due to the Census regarding both as the same category. Likewise, since Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity, Hispanic marriages with non-Hispanics are not registered as interracial if both partners are of the same race (i.e. a Black Hispanic marrying a non-Hispanic Black partner).

I have no doubt that percentage has increased from 3.9% in 2008, but it is nearly impossible for it to jump to 17%. Also a lot more people in the last decade list their race as "other" as a kind of protest.

Wikipedia article
The wikipedia article lists the most common interracial marriages
529,000 White Husband & Asian Wife
488,000 "other" Husband & White Wife
487,000 White Husband & "other" Wife

A lot of Arabs, Indians, and Iranians list their race as "other"

The least common combinations are minority-minority marriage involving Asians
9,000 Asian Husband & Black Wife
28,000 Asian Husband & "other" Wife
37,000 "Other" Husband & Asian Wife
39,000 Black Husband & Asian Wife
April 20th, 2021 at 4:22:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
That number is much higher than percentage reported by census bureau.That has to include ethnic marriages like Japanese and Indian, or White and Latino.

The census bureau reported 3.9% of the total number of married couples in 2008 were inter-racial. These statistics do not take into account the mixing of ancestries within the same "race"; e.g. a marriage involving Indian and Japanese ancestries would not be classified as interracial due to the Census regarding both as the same category. Likewise, since Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity, Hispanic marriages with non-Hispanics are not registered as interracial if both partners are of the same race (i.e. a Black Hispanic marrying a non-Hispanic Black partner).

I have no doubt that percentage has increased from 3.9% in 2008, but it is nearly impossible for it to jump to 17%. Also a lot more people in the last decade list their race as "other" as a kind of protest.

Wikipedia article
The wikipedia article lists the most common interracial marriages
529,000 White Husband & Asian Wife
488,000 "other" Husband & White Wife
487,000 White Husband & "other" Wife

A lot of Arabs, Indians, and Iranians list their race as "other"

The least common combinations are minority-minority marriage involving Asians
9,000 Asian Husband & Black Wife
28,000 Asian Husband & "other" Wife
37,000 "Other" Husband & Asian Wife
39,000 Black Husband & Asian Wife

White males and Asian females keeps growing. I think more than people realize is how many of these are military who meet women in Asia. I have known at least 2 that is how they met. I know another guy met his wife in Mexico. Given how men from the USA travel overseas this will always be a thing. I have never met or really even heard of a woman from the USA doing the same. I have heard that in some Asian countries white males are considered "exotic" sort of how American men feel about Nordic women.

If you watch TV commercials you would think the rate is 50%.
The President is a fink.
April 20th, 2021 at 8:35:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I
Black women expressed less approval for black men-white women marriages than the reverse,

We talked about this before. Back in the 80s when I had the cab company I would talk to black women about this and they absolutely hated hated hated white women marrying black men. They would scream at me about it sometimes. They said black men do it because white women treat them way better then black women do. They said white women we're stupid and they didn't realize what liars and cheaters black man were. They said black men are 'players' and you have to keep them under constant scrutiny or they will cheat on you. I'm not surprised nothing has changed 35 years.