3 votes (42.85%)
4 votes (57.14%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

September 23rd, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
It depends what you mean by wealthy. If you take all people with net worth over $5million, as an example, I'd bet that Republicans far out number Democrats. Of course there are many VISIBLE examples (athletes, hollywood, extreme wealthy {Gates}) that are Democrat.

I'd say more 'old money' is still Republican than Democrat.

I'm frankly surprised Paco is asking this question rather than answering it!

Since I get a vote, my vote is Republican.

I tend to find that people who earned it themselves tend to be Republican, those who inherited it tend to be Democrat. When they go from "wealthy" to "mega-wealthy" they tend to drift Democrat. The ones who get it via a paycheck (athletes, movie stars) tend to drift Democrat, those that have a business tend to be Republican.

Exceptions to be sure. Country music stars will drift Republican. Jewish professionals (doctors, etc) will drift Democrat along with the Jewish vote.

Since the 2000s it seems to have become the Democrats get the top and bottom, with working class drifting GOP.

I have seen the total opposite with old money. Maybe 50 years ago, pre-Reagan. When the GOP was more country-club.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2019 at 1:44:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
"party of the wealthy" can have several meanings.
1 - It can mean the party that has more wealthy people as members than the other.
2 - It might mean which party do the wealthy people vote for.
3 - It can also mean the party that works more for the benefit of the wealthy than the other.

#1: Outside of elected officials themselves, I could not find wealth distribution by party membership. Anecdotally, "red" states tend to be poorer and get more FROM the government in money than they send in taxes. California and New York are high population blue states. So for #1 perhaps the democrats represent more people by sum of all wealth. Perhaps not. No evidence.

#2: this is documented in many reports and articles. Even though there are some very wealthy democrats, overall as income rises, so does the tendency to vote republican

#3: I don't think there is any question that the republican party works more for the benefit of the wealthy.

So instead of noting which party is the party OF the wealthy, note which one is the party FOR the wealthy.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 23rd, 2019 at 1:47:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

#3: I don't think there is any question that the republican party works more for the benefit of the wealthy.

I do not see that at all. I see them as just not punishing people for creating wealth.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2019 at 4:12:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
Which is the party of the wealthy?

Both.
September 24th, 2019 at 3:58:41 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Gandler
Both.
Of course. Rich people buy access to power and don't give a hoot about labels or people who think there is a difference between the Parties. Politicians come in two types: presently in power and not presently in power. Rich people buy both.
September 24th, 2019 at 8:52:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
I'm frankly surprised Paco is asking this question rather than answering it!

It's genuinely complicated question. The stereotype of the conservative Republican billionaire is very strong, but there are plenty of Democratic billionaires as well.
If we rank states by GDP per inhabitant you get a funny mix.

D.C. has a higher GDP per capita than any state, but it's image is of a place full of poor people. You could argue that you can't really compare an urban district to a normal state. When you get to the states the first three are overwhelmingly Democratic strongholds, but then you get some Republican staters.

District of Columbia
Massachusetts - D
New York - D
Connecticut - D
Alaska - R
Delaware -R
North Dakota - R
Wyoming - R
New Jersey
Washington
Maryland
Illinois