Hospital fees rant

Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »
September 28th, 2019 at 5:02:07 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
If the handicap cost more than they can contribute can we let them die if no one wants to pay.

How about old people who’ve used up their personal wealth and live the rest of their lives at the pleasure of the state.

How about young people who get severely disabled before they have enough money for adequate insurance?

That is what SSDI is for (of course getting approved is a barrier that generally requires legal assistance). Or in the case of "old people" SS.

We have systems in place to protect vulnerable people.
September 29th, 2019 at 8:13:51 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If the handicap cost more than they can contribute can we let them die if no one wants to pay.

How about old people who’ve used up their personal wealth and live the rest of their lives at the pleasure of the state.

How about young people who get severely disabled before they have enough money for adequate insurance?

If they don't have friends or family that are willing to help with the bills and they can't afford it, some organization could fund raise for them, if not I still don't think workers should be forced to help them without getting paid.

I am all for people who disagree and want to volunteer or help with the bill, but why should someone be forced to help without compensation?

I just read a stat that said about 350,000 children are born each day, I still don't think individual lives matter.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 29th, 2019 at 9:11:50 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
If they don't have friends or family that are willing to help with the bills and they can't afford it, some organization could fund raise for them, if not I still don't think workers should be forced to help them without getting paid.

I am all for people who disagree and want to volunteer or help with the bill, but why should someone be forced to help without compensation?

I just read a stat that said about 350,000 children are born each day, I still don't think individual lives matter.

Every government in the world agrees with you. When push comes to shove and it is time to go to war. The Generals don't worry about individual lives they decide on the basis of whether the casualties are worth the expected benefit. All soldiers are faceless during that decision.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 29th, 2019 at 9:44:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Every government in the world agrees with you. When push comes to shove and it is time to go to war. The Generals don't worry about individual lives they decide on the basis of whether the casualties are worth the expected benefit. All soldiers are faceless during that decision.

So, same as terrorist ideology when they convince someone to blow themselves up for the cause.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2019 at 2:10:18 PM permalink
kenarman
So, same as terrorist ideology when they convince someone to blow themselves up for the cause.

The only difference is often civilian (non combatant) casualties are avoided if possible. Terrorists are targetting civilians. They are still both basically war deaths.

We all make decisions almost every day that cause people to die rxwine, even you. It is part of the survival instinct imbedded in our DNA.
September 29th, 2019 at 2:23:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
The only difference is often civilian (non combatant) casualties are avoided if possible. Terrorists are targetting civilians. They are still both basically war deaths.

We all make decisions almost every day that cause people to die rxwine, even you. It is part of the survival instinct imbedded in our DNA.

I'm not completely morally ambivalent about death.

While your money is less important than someone's else's life (all things being equal, and someone's not arch criminal), I still don't believe in strict avoidance of taking some of it to keep someone else alive -- through taxes.

How much is for everyone to decide is through representative government.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2019 at 2:28:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, I categorize the bum who could actually work as despicable as the person who works and makes a good living, who feels he has no obligation to contribute to society except as it directly benefits him.
September 29th, 2019 at 2:38:41 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
... as the person who works and makes a good living, who feels he has no obligation to contribute to society except as it directly benefits him.

I don't know anyone that doesn't contribute to society in some way. Even if it is only through taxes (income, sales, gas, etc).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 29th, 2019 at 2:59:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think people are thinking more along the lines of "net contributor". A very wealthy man may pay high income taxes but he remains a contributor even if hires a CPA to lower those taxes.
September 29th, 2019 at 3:03:03 PM permalink
kenarman
I'm not completely morally ambivalent about death.

You, I and everyone else in the developed world could give up our life of privelage and send half or more of our income to some shit ass poor country in Africa and save countless lives. People dying of starvation, poor water, disease etc. We all chose not to do it. If you truly valued "every life" you would do it. Very few of us do though. Some like myself know exactly what we are doing and realize that people die every day that could be saved. Many others such as yourself try to sugar coat it and think they are doing all they can. You do however say you would gladly pay more if only the government forced you through additional taxation, interesting position to hold.
Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »