What I Ate Today

November 1st, 2021 at 6:34:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: Evenbob
Mushroom onion spinach scrambled eggs. Made with egg whites. 6 egg whites have 90 calories. Six whole eggs have 420 calories.

Do you ever use regular eggs? Or just whites? I like the yolks from hard boiled eggs. Not concerned with the added calories from those two egg yolks.

That's because you're not on a diet. I need to lose another 20 pounds and I can't do it eating 6 egg yolks. One egg yolk is tiny and it's 55 calories because it's solid fat. One egg white is 15 calories and is solid protein.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 1st, 2021 at 8:04:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
Mushroom onion spinach scrambled eggs. Made with egg whites. 6 egg whites have 90 calories. Six whole eggs have 420 calories.

Do you ever use regular eggs? Or just whites? I like the yolks from hard boiled eggs. Not concerned with the added calories from those two egg yolks.

That's because you're not on a diet. I need to lose another 20 pounds and I can't do it eating 6 egg yolks. One egg yolk is tiny and it's 55 calories because it's solid fat. One egg white is 15 calories and is solid protein.

Most of the nutrients in the egg except the protein are in the yolk. The yolk does also contain the fat and thus most of the calories as you said.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 1st, 2021 at 8:33:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman

Most of the nutrients in the egg except the protein are in the yolk. The yolk does also contain the fat and thus most of the calories as you said.

That's because the future chicken is in the yolk. All the nutrients and DNA are in the yoke and the whites are there to provide protein and amino acids for the yolk.
Eggs are wonderful things, they are eaten by every culture on Earth. I always thought chickens originated in Africa but they actually originated in Southeast Asia. They made their way into Africa two or three thousand years ago into Egypt. I think the Chinese have more ways of eating eggs then any other culture.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2021 at 12:15:24 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11

EB, What did you do with the egg yolks? Discard them?
November 2nd, 2021 at 12:32:38 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: OnceDear

Grocery stores in the US carry cartons of liquid egg whites.

Do they not have that in the UK?
November 2nd, 2021 at 12:48:03 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: gamerfreak
Grocery stores in the US carry cartons of liquid egg whites.

Do they not have that in the UK?
In only the largest supermarkets. To be honest, I've never seen them and never considered buying them.
I do have some powdered egg whites and powdered whole egg.

If EvenBob wants to lose weight, maybe he should drop the daily night-cap. Far more calories than a few eggs.

Healthy weight loss tip of the day....... Use an 8" plate. That's it. No need to consider calories or anything else. Psychology takes care of those.
November 2nd, 2021 at 12:56:40 PM permalink
Evenbob

I use pasteurized egg yolks that come in a carton. Much more convenient and not wasteful.
November 2nd, 2021 at 1:01:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
In only the largest supermarkets. To be honest, I've never seen them and never considered buying them. if EvenBob wants to lose weight, maybe he should drop the daily night-cap. Far more calories than a few eggs.

Egg whites in a carton absolutely not different than from an egg. Alcohol never turns into fat even though it's high in calories. It may stop you from losing weight for the first few hours after you drink it but it will never cause you to gain weight. That's grain alcohol drank straight up. Beer and wine is a totally different story.
November 2nd, 2021 at 5:23:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Sandwich made with mashed avocado and hard boiled egg spread, red onion, spinach, and canned salmon. What really made this good is the coarse ground pink salt and coarse fresh pepper. Himalayan pink salt is really good because it's not that salty, it's just salty enough. Then there was some salt from the canned salmon and everything worked together really well, great flavor profile.

Some people turn up their noses at canned fish and seafood. In places like Norway and Finland and Denmark there are gourmet restaurants that serve nothing but canned fish. Very expensive canned fish. And they often leave it right in the can so you can appreciate the whole experience when you spread it on bread or on a cracker. Canned salmon has a flavor profile totally different than fresh salmon.

November 3rd, 2021 at 4:39:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Salmon pate sandwich with tomato red onion and spinach. The pate is made with cream cheese, avocado, lemon juice, horseradish, and dill.