“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 6th, 2020 at 1:04:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Eddie Van Halen, 65

Throat cancer

OMG
I got to see him live just as the band was on their 1st national tour playing small theaters.
Warner Theater in DC.
Running with the Devil was on the radio, 1st hit
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 6th, 2020 at 1:09:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I saw he didn't age well, but had no idea he had gotten sick.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 6th, 2020 at 2:28:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I saw Van Halen with great seats here in Vegas about 15 years ago. Great show. Eddie could make a guitar sound like a piano at times.

Van Halen was at their peak when I was in high school so this death makes me feel a bit older.

Here is perhaps my favorite commercial.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 7th, 2020 at 5:43:35 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Wife told me EVH blamed his oral cancer on keeping a steel guitar pick in his mouth during an interview while he was smoking a cigarette. Not too bright....
October 7th, 2020 at 9:13:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Wife told me EVH blamed his oral cancer on keeping a steel guitar pick in his mouth during an interview while he was smoking a cigarette. Not too bright....

Ever meet any band member that
had 3 working brain cells? They're
all dumb as rocks.

I take that back. Ted Nugent is
extremely intelligent and has
never done drugs in his life. One
of the few..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2020 at 9:29:00 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

And, not to derail to much, but that is a prime example of why warning labels are important on cigarettes (as you or possibly somebody similar, were opposing a few days ago, with premise that people should already know in the other thread, the new FDA proposal wants to include warnings about oral cancers as well, which many people do not know).

I know nothing about EVH or his use of tobacco or alcohol so I am taking your word for it. I like some of their songs, but I don't know much of their members other than him obviously being the band name...
October 7th, 2020 at 9:56:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
And, not to derail to much, but that is a prime example of why warning labels are important on cigarettes (as you or possibly somebody similar, were opposing a few days ago, with premise that people should already know in the other thread, the new FDA proposal wants to include warnings about oral cancers as well, which many people do not know).

Yeah, because guys in rock bands change their behavior over a warning label!
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2020 at 11:49:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Wonder if his cancer was HPV positive?

added: "Before his battle with throat cancer, Van Halen had a bout with tongue cancer in 2000. He defeated the illness in 2002."

https://people.com/music/eddie-van-halen-dead-cancer-serious-family-protection/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 7th, 2020 at 12:44:00 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I had a friend that was a huge Van Halen fan. When David Lee Roth rejoined the band after the Sammy Hagar years, my friend was very excited. He knew I had access to live shows and asked me if I can get a copy. I said sure. They opened the tour in Charlotte and I got him a copy of the show. He loved it. He wanted more. I said sure but remember, this ain't the Grateful Dead. Well I got him more shows from that tour. Every single show same songs in same order. Every city, exact same songs in the same order show after show. He still liked them. When they eventually came to our town, he knew exactly what to expect. Same exact show as the tour opener.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"