Star Trek: Picard

Page 2 of 2<12
April 4th, 2021 at 6:00:44 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 122
Posts: 3148
I remember some actress had to give up looking like a weird alien on 'deep space 9' I think it was. Her face was completely covered with something that made her look like an alien, totally non-human. But it was causing a terrible rash, so they had her undergo a 'metamorphosis' and changed her so she just wore this plastic thing like you say, on her forehead I think.

Since then we see a lot of this.
In the Spring an old man's fancy heavily turns to thoughts of turkeys
April 5th, 2021 at 8:32:08 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 350
Quote: odiousgambit
I remember some actress had to give up looking like a weird alien on 'deep space 9' I think it was. Her face was completely covered with something that made her look like an alien, totally non-human. But it was causing a terrible rash, so they had her undergo a 'metamorphosis' and changed her so she just wore this plastic thing like you say, on her forehead I think.

Since then we see a lot of this.

I am a devout Star Trek fan and DS9 is my favorite of the franchise, and I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I'd be curious if you can dig up any other details? I suspect it was either not DS9, or was a minor actress/not a series regular.

Bob, Jeri Ryan is the best thing about the series. And the only reason I will watch season 2.

I thought ST:Picard was just okay. I was not a fan of the finale.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
April 5th, 2021 at 9:43:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 122
Posts: 3148
I guessed wrong, and it isn't exactly what I remember. I'm thinking of the Babylon 5 character Satai Delenn " who is a fictional lead character in the universe of the science fiction television series Babylon 5. She was originally Minbari " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delenn

What I am remembering right, I believe, is that the scuttlebutt at the time was that the actress couldn't take the make-up she underwent for the original character. So, she quit any alien-look make-up altogether. I am wrong that she started to appear with some kind of plastic thing on her forehead, or maybe she did, the pictures are confusing as you scroll down the link. I say 'scuttlebutt' because none of that seems to be preserved; the explanation as part of a story for the fans is preserved, though, so you'll have to see if you can buy that as making sense. I'm saying the scuttlebutt existed and I'm thinking it was right.

I also maintain that this business we see now of a little plastic thing on the forehead or something is a result of a fear of a repeat of this problem. Just a theory. Ironically I watch little of this genre on TV, but I did like Bab-5 for a while there, I particularly liked the reptilian that liked earth women! OK, I was younger.

For some reason the 'img' thing we use doesn't work for these. fixed

See also the link these images come from : https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Delenn

before:


after:
In the Spring an old man's fancy heavily turns to thoughts of turkeys
April 5th, 2021 at 12:50:40 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 350
Trailer for season 2 just dropped. Q returns!


"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
April 5th, 2021 at 2:49:03 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 53
Posts: 7680
Quote: odiousgambit
I guessed wrong, and it isn't exactly what I remember. I'm thinking of the Babylon 5 character Satai Delenn " who is a fictional lead character in the universe of the science fiction television series Babylon 5. She was originally Minbari " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delenn

What I am remembering right, I believe, is that the scuttlebutt at the time was that the actress couldn't take the make-up she underwent for the original character. So, she quit any alien-look make-up altogether. I am wrong that she started to appear with some kind of plastic thing on her forehead, or maybe she did, the pictures are confusing as you scroll down the link. I say 'scuttlebutt' because none of that seems to be preserved; the explanation as part of a story for the fans is preserved, though, so you'll have to see if you can buy that as making sense. I'm saying the scuttlebutt existed and I'm thinking it was right.

I also maintain that this business we see now of a little plastic thing on the forehead or something is a result of a fear of a repeat of this problem. Just a theory. Ironically I watch little of this genre on TV, but I did like Bab-5 for a while there, I particularly liked the reptilian that liked earth women! OK, I was younger.

For some reason the 'img' thing we use doesn't work for these. fixed

See also the link these images come from : https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Delenn

before:


after:

Babylon 5 rocked
Best science fiction tv series writing ever
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 6th, 2021 at 10:58:00 AM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 53
Posts: 7680
What I'm looking forward to is watching my all time favorite science fiction Book made into a TV series
Foundation by Appletv
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 6th, 2021 at 12:02:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 140
Posts: 22919
I wonder why Patrick Stewart agreed to do this. He is not really very good. In many scenes he just stands around with different expressions on his face. In some scenes where he does speak his voice sounds really weak, and at other times it doesn't. It's like he has good days and bad days. What carries the show is the excellent production budget. The sets and CGI are way better then the acting and the story.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2021 at 4:04:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1005
Posts: 11826
Quote: Evenbob
I wonder why Patrick Stewart agreed to do this.


He's been doing mostly voice work for the past 5 years, and no more stage appearances. He has a new wife since 2013 who is only 42 years old (38 years younger than him). They met when she was only 30 and a waitress.

I think he probably needs the money.
April 8th, 2021 at 6:39:41 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 350
Quote: Pacomartin
He's been doing mostly voice work for the past 5 years, and no more stage appearances. He has a new wife since 2013 who is only 42 years old (38 years younger than him). They met when she was only 30 and a waitress.

I think he probably needs the money.

I don't have any proof but I would be surprised if he needs the money. Seven seasons of TNG + 4 movies + all those X-Men films. Sure if you're dumb you can blow through all that money, but he doesn't seem the type.

As to why he is doing it if he *doesn't* need the money....who knows.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
Page 2 of 2<12