Rush Limbaugh Has Lung Cancer

Page 17 of 18« First<1415161718>
April 19th, 2022 at 2:27:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I didn't know that Rush was dead,

He's lost quite a bit of weight.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 19th, 2022 at 2:28:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I actually listen to a fair amount of conservative radio (or at least used to and occasionally still do), I like talk radio in general (and many shows are conservative).

Rush Limbaugh never impressed me. Just not an engrossing speaker. And, not many interesting stories.

Michael Savage has always impressed me (even if I think he is crazy politically), but he is a great speaker, and excellent story-teller (I have even read some of his books, which are actually decent, especially his non-political books). I think this has to do with his eclectic background, and having a PhD in Anthropology so he actually has a decent cultural understanding. Many of the other popular radio hosts are lawyers, which is fine, but generally less interesting than somebody whose career before radio was travelling the world and studying local diets in remote places.

Rush Limbaugh is kind of the exception in conservative radio, he dropped out of college and has worked in radio since his teens. Which I guess is good for being good at radio, but it certainly puts you in a bubble as far as life experience. And, that also explains why he is just not that interesting, he show literally feels like empty conservative talking points with no substance. He just feels like an announcer reading bullet points....

I don't know why he was so popular, even in the spectrum of conservative radio he just never did anything for me, just bland.....
Versus a show like Michael Savage where one night he can talk for two hours about living with some tribe in a remote island in the 70s in an absolutely interesting way, or a long story about his time working at Timothy Leary's LSD compound, and you can completely forget you are listening to a conservative show.

-I mean Rush Limbaugh's prescription drug addiction is about the most interesting life experience that I can think of, and you can only talk about that so much-

Are you talking about the same Rush Limbaugh as we all know? Limbaugh was the best at explaining things. At telling stories. At keeping people engrossed. Plenty of life experience because he did not spend his life in academia, he spent it in the real world.

He was popular because he knew how to connect with people. He explained being a DJ makes you do that. Anyone can play the same songs, His personality made people tune in at KQV and stations after.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:39:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Are you talking about the same Rush Limbaugh as we all know? Limbaugh was the best at explaining things. At telling stories. At keeping people engrossed. Plenty of life experience because he did not spend his life in academia, he spent it in the real world.

He was popular because he knew how to connect with people. He explained being a DJ makes you do that. Anyone can play the same songs, His personality made people tune in at KQV and stations after.

That goes back to my point, he was good at radio. Not great at having decades of life experience and stories from travelling the world to talk about. And, I just don't find that interesting. There are so many better radio people on the conservative side.

I can see why he was successful as a DJ, but I just don't understand why he reached the pinnacle of talk radio, he was not that impressive. But, I accept its just not my style. Clearly people like him so he did something right.

I tend to like people in radio, who had a career and got into radio late in life, because they tend to have a lot to talk about (and have real world experience).

Again, people are making my statement political, its not, I cited a conservative who I think is great speakers (and I disagree with him about as much as humanely possible on every issue that matters). But, his radio show just never impressed me.

For example, I can imagine Michael Savage as a professor in let's say political science and being great at keeping people engrossed and giving tangible examples, versus Limbaugh would probably check the box and click through the slides.

I am not saying he was terrible or should have never done radio. I just don't understand his level of success. He was not that good.
April 19th, 2022 at 2:59:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
That goes back to my point, he was good at radio. Not great at having decades of life experience and stories from travelling the world to talk about. And, I just don't find that interesting. There are so many better radio people on the conservative side.

Again, what show were you listening to? He always had life stories to share. People he met. Things he did. If you like Hannity better that is fine, but you are not credible with such claims.

Quote:
I can see why he was successful as a DJ, but I just don't understand why he reached the pinnacle of talk radio, he was not that impressive. But, I accept its just not my style. Clearly people like him so he did something right.

It was several reasons. First, he made a total new format of show. He said he would not have guests, just do commentary. The "radio people" thought it would not work. Instead it broke new ground. Second, he tapped into a silent majority. Early days you heard him talk and you knew you were not alone in not buying the current popular culture. Finally, he had the same personality thing Howard Stern had in that he could get people who hated him to keep tuning in.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2022 at 3:27:31 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I used to put Limbaugh in the same pile of trash as I do for that misogynistic tool Tom Leykis.
April 19th, 2022 at 3:28:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Again, what show were you listening to? He always had life stories to share. People he met. Things he did. If you like Hannity better that is fine, but you are not credible with such claims.

It was several reasons. First, he made a total new format of show. He said he would not have guests, just do commentary. The "radio people" thought it would not work. Instead it broke new ground. Second, he tapped into a silent majority. Early days you heard him talk and you knew you were not alone in not buying the current popular culture. Finally, he had the same personality thing Howard Stern had in that he could get people who hated him to keep tuning in.

I don't know, we are not going to agree on this, largely because of opinion, but I just did not connect with him.

Michael Savage resonates with me, even in High School I was buying his books because I enjoyed in show. I have never agreed with him politically, but he is such a great orator, that I just enjoy him, and his education and experience is beyond impressive. Rush just never did anything for me.

I feel the same about Glenn Beck, who also went straight into radio. They are basically radio personalities who speak politics, career radio people. I don't think either of them has had a job or education outside of radio. Its like Bob and Tom of conservative radio, very by the book and acceptable, but nothing groundbreaking.

Versus people like Michael Savage, Oliver North, and Dennis Prager who pre-radio accomplishments (in some cases the vast majority of their life).

And, yeah I accept that Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are "bigger" in radio (and probably always will be), but they are less interesting because they have been radio guys since their teens and have not done anything else. Which is fine, but less interesting. I just find people with non-radio life experience more interesting, even more so if they did not get into radio until retirement.

So, let me ask you this, other that Rush, what conservative radio personalities do you rate near the top (or even equal)? Because, if Glenn Beck and similar are in there that shows the style that you like. Which is fine, but its just a different style.
April 20th, 2022 at 5:37:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman

So, let me ask you this, other that Rush, what conservative radio personalities do you rate near the top (or even equal)? Because, if Glenn Beck and similar are in there that shows the style that you like. Which is fine, but its just a different style.

Honestly, I do not listen to anyone on radio since Rush died. I listen to podcasts and other indie broadcasts.
The President is a fink.
April 20th, 2022 at 5:56:52 AM permalink
Gandler
Honestly, I do not listen to anyone on radio since Rush died. I listen to podcasts and other indie broadcasts.

Podcasts examples are fine, because it's basically modern radio.
April 20th, 2022 at 6:13:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Podcasts examples are fine, because it's basically modern radio.

I listen to "The Survival Podcast" "Motley Fool" and on YT Aaron Clarey to name a few. I do not waste my time on pure political shows these days. Rush was political but also covered other topics, which is why his listeners were very informed.
The President is a fink.
April 20th, 2022 at 6:33:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
He's lost quite a bit of weight.

Hmmm, maybe I should be scared as I lost quite a bit of weight recently.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 17 of 18« First<1415161718>