1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

November 10th, 2020 at 9:07:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
Here's another republican for you guys to disown

Utah Gov. Announces Statewide Mask Mandate, Citing Steep Spike In COVID-19 Cases

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/11/09/933055781/utah-gov-announces-statewide-mask-mandate-citing-steep-spike-in-covid-19-cases

Its nice to see some republican gov's are anti-virus
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 10th, 2020 at 12:33:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Pfizer's magic bullet vaccine must be stored at -70 C. They estimate they will be able to produce 25 million doses worldwide the first year and it takes 2 doses.

We will be getting herd immunity faster than we see any real relief from that vaccine.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 10th, 2020 at 12:39:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I was talking to a recruiter yesterday and called it "china virus" in passing.

She had a reaction of "did you just say that?!" I mean she totally lost a beat.

Then she says she cannot repeat what I said in that office but agrees with me!

The job was a nogo in any case.
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2020 at 2:16:14 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
Pfizer's magic bullet vaccine must be stored at -70 C. They estimate they will be able to produce 25 million doses worldwide the first year and it takes 2 doses.

We will be getting herd immunity faster than we see any real relief from that vaccine.

Everyone wants ONE thing to end the pandemic. The therapeutics have decreased morbidity and mortality significantly already. Just added the Eli Lilly drug to take another bite out of the negative effects of the virus. The likelihood of dying has dropped significantly from last spring, and is falling every day.
Pfizer's vaccine will help not only the millions who take the vaccine, but the thousands who would have gotten the virus from those millions if they had not been vaccinated. And Moderna's vaccine is just a tad behind Pfizer in the process. Plus there are dozen or so other companies in various stages of trials.
Add the vaccine to the millions already infected and cured and we are closer to herd immunity.

So summary.... no magic bullet, but inexorable strides towards mitigating the virus and its deadly effects.
November 10th, 2020 at 2:33:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Everyone wants ONE thing to end the pandemic. The therapeutics have decreased morbidity and mortality significantly already. Just added the Eli Lilly drug to take another bite out of the negative effects of the virus. The likelihood of dying has dropped significantly from last spring, and is falling every day.

I don't see as much info about intubating and ventilators for Covid patients as in the beginning. Do you think there were a significant number of patients that were ventilated that shouldn't have been, or were patients damaged long term from being intubated?

I saw just a blip but didn't catch the story, it was in either Texas or NM, that said something about bringing in portable morgues. That reminded me of the freezer vans that were hauled into New York in the early days.

I don't think that many excess storage spaces are really needed for body's, do you?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 10th, 2020 at 3:51:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you do a search for "protocols for covid patients" you can enjoy the various rabbit holes.

Quote:
For adults with COVID-19 and acute hypoxemic respiratory failure despite conventional oxygen therapy, the Panel recommends high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) oxygen over noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NIPPV) (BI).
In the absence of an indication for endotracheal intubation, the Panel recommends a closely monitored trial of NIPPV for adults with COVID-19 and acute hypoxemic respiratory failure for whom HFNC is not available (BIII).
For adults with COVID-19 who are receiving supplemental oxygen, the Panel recommends close monitoring for worsening respiratory status and that intubation, if it becomes necessary, be performed by an experienced practitioner in a controlled setting (AII).
For patients with persistent hypoxemia despite increasing supplemental oxygen requirements in whom endotracheal intubation is not otherwise indicated, the Panel recommends considering a trial of awake prone positioning to improve oxygenation (CIII).
The Panel recommends against using awake prone positioning as a rescue therapy for refractory hypoxemia to avoid intubation in patients who otherwise require intubation and mechanical ventilation (AIII).
For mechanically ventilated adults with COVID-19 and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), the Panel recommends using low tidal volume (VT) ventilation (VT 4–8 mL/kg of predicted body weight) over higher tidal volumes (VT >8 mL/kg) (AI).
For mechanically ventilated adults with COVID-19 and refractory hypoxemia despite optimized ventilation, the Panel recommends prone ventilation for 12 to 16 hours per day over no prone ventilation (BII).
For mechanically ventilated adults with COVID-19, severe ARDS, and hypoxemia despite optimized ventilation and other rescue strategies, the Panel recommends using an inhaled pulmonary vasodilator as a rescue therapy; if no rapid improvement in oxygenation is observed, the treatment should be tapered off (CIII).
There are insufficient data to recommend either for or against the routine use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for patients with COVID-19 and refractory hypoxemia.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 10th, 2020 at 5:47:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
I don't see as much info about intubating and ventilators for Covid patients as in the beginning. Do you think there were a significant number of patients that were ventilated that shouldn't have been, or were patients damaged long term from being intubated?

I saw just a blip but didn't catch the story, it was in either Texas or NM, that said something about bringing in portable morgues. That reminded me of the freezer vans that were hauled into New York in the early days.

I don't think that many excess storage spaces are really needed for body's, do you?

I can assure you, intubation was the LAST thing a clinician taking care of a COVID-19 patient wanted to do. But there were probably a small number of patients that were intubated then that would not be now, but I truly believe that number is very small. As far as being damaged from long term ventilation, there are multitudes of trauma patients that are ventilated for quite a while without long term lung damage, so I think it is the combination of the reaction to the coronavirus and the long term nature that lead to the lung damage. But as someone who has taken care of acutely ventilated patients my entire career, we try to extubate them as soon as is possible.

Bottom line is the therapeutics (remdesivir, dexamethasone, now antibodies) have significantly decreased the need for ventilators. I am guessing, and it is nothing more than a guess, that the same person infected today has maybe 1/3 the chance of dying compared to in April.

I finally saw my friend who was intubated for 2 weeks last spring. 75, she looked great! She is still working as a medical secretary. Her 'long haul' problems include 'lung damage', but not enough to need oxygen. And she says 'half' her body doesn't have feeling. I didn't go into details with her because she can walk up a flight of stairs, drive, cook, etc... At her worst I was sure she wouldn't survive.
November 11th, 2020 at 5:16:46 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: petroglyph
I don't see as much info about intubating and ventilators for Covid patients as in the beginning.

For the states that are reporting the number of people in ventilators, the average seems to be 10% of the total currently hospitalized. At a glance, the ratio appeared to average closer to 20%, six months ago.
November 11th, 2020 at 5:52:17 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
I was talking to a recruiter yesterday and called it "china virus" in passing.

Trump didn’t win any friends in the Asian community by calling it the “Chinese virus”. Many Asians here in NYC are afraid to go outside their homes for fear of being attacked, as some have. One mother told me she is afraid to speak “Chinese” to her child in public, out of fear of drawing attention and being attacked.
November 11th, 2020 at 8:41:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Trump didn’t win any friends in the Asian community by calling it the “Chinese virus”. Many Asians here in NYC are afraid to go outside their homes for fear of being attacked, as some have. One mother told me she is afraid to speak “Chinese” to her child in public, out of fear of drawing attention and being attacked.

Funny, I thought NYC was a loving, Democrat heavy city?
The President is a fink.