May 15th, 2021 at 9:20:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Any insight?

None
I have a cousin over there that posted a lot on FB
She has not posted much in a while.
I used to see scenes from Taiwan everyday.
She is extremely concerned about her very elderly parents but due to the virus is afraid to come back to the US.

I would imagine Taiwan has a much denser population then Australia and New Zealand making it tougher to control. The virus loves dense populations, look at India
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 15th, 2021 at 9:26:45 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
None
I have a cousin over there that posted a lot on FB
She has not posted much in a while.
I used to see scenes from Taiwan everyday.
She is extremely concerned about her very elderly parents but due to the virus is afraid to come back to the US.

I would imagine Taiwan has a much denser population then Australia and New Zealand making it tougher to control. The virus loves dense populations, look at India

Hopefully they can get vaccinated before it gets really serious. I did read somewhere that there was a lot of vaccination hesitancy but don't know if that is true.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 15th, 2021 at 9:43:43 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
The CDC just published a new recommendation that it is safe for unvaccinated people to demask everywhere (interior and exterior), so that is correct. I live in a State that has never had a mandate, but most stores (especially corporate owned) aggressively enforce mask polices. So, it will be no different than before for me, it will be a matter of following whatever the company policy is (or choosing to shop somewhere else etc...)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html
"Update that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance in any setting, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance " -CDC-

So you are probably right, my guess is most companies will phase it out over the next few weeks.

Yeah, it would seem that people were availing themselves of this newfound freedom when I was at the grocery store yesterday.

I was honestly surprised to see that and came back and looked at whether or not state mandates were being defied...not that I really care, just curious. Fuhrer Wolf is the one who issued a mandate, in December, that the state was to shutdown indoor dining completely (not all restaurants complied, they'd already done it for several months earlier in the year during which time almost all complied). Anyway, I didn't expect the state to follow the CDC guidelines because the state had been more stringent on the Covid-19 thing than most other states.

Even before that, Fuhrer Wolf had announced that we would not be removing the mask mandate until 70% of the adult population of the state had been fully vaccinated; my understanding is that it was at something like 46.1% or 47.1% as of two days ago, so no way it's already up to 70%.

As it turns out, the State Health Department has chosen to defer to CDC Guidelines that fully vaccinated people are no longer required to wear masks.

The state continues to maintain that unvaccinated people must still wear masks until 70% of the state's population is vaccinated, but I don't see how that's enforceable in any practical way. What are you going to do---demand proof of vaccination from everyone not wearing a mask?

I'm vaccinated anyway, because I was sick of being bothered about it, so it doesn't really matter to me. Obviously, individual businesses (Target is one example) are still requiring masks and are fully within their rights to do so. They can require masks for fifty years, if they want to.

The store yesterday was a non-major chain, with signage out front saying, "Unvaccinated people must wear a mask in order to shop."

Yeah, that'll happen. I tend to think there's a lot of crossover between those who are adamantly against getting vaccinated and those who were majorly against the masks to begin with, so I fully expect that the better part of those wearing masks in the store still will actually have been vaccinated and at least some high percentage of those not wearing masks to be unvaccinated.

I'm not sure what the CDC/state's play is. Maybe to use (legally) being able to not wear a mask as an incentive to go get vaccinated?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 15th, 2021 at 10:15:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think it’s simpler to go by whether hospitalizations are increasing or decreasing for each state.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2021 at 10:39:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Hopefully they can get vaccinated before it gets really serious. I did read somewhere that there was a lot of vaccination hesitancy but don't know if that is true.

'
This virus is insidious
India thought they had it beat
Opened up the country and had mass gatherings
The virus came roaring back
Taiwan thought they had it beat. Its coming back
This virus sucks
I hope it does not come roaring back in this country
Unfortunately I think it will
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 15th, 2021 at 10:48:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
'
This virus is insidious
India thought they had it beat
Opened up the country and had mass gatherings
The virus came roaring back
Taiwan thought they had it beat. Its coming back
This virus sucks
I hope it does not come roaring back in this country
Unfortunately I think it will

I agree it just sits there waiting for an opening. People think lockdowns stop the problem, it only delays the problem. As I have said all along we need to accept the fact that it is going to take 1 to 2% of the population and get on with life we can't lockdown forever. Best case scenario is the vaccines can cut the loss in half or more.

If you look at the stats by state now there is not a huge difference in the rates, yet states have had a wide range of responses.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 15th, 2021 at 1:02:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Yeah, it would seem that people were availing themselves of this newfound freedom when I was at the grocery store yesterday.

I was honestly surprised to see that and came back and looked at whether or not state mandates were being defied...not that I really care, just curious. Fuhrer Wolf is the one who issued a mandate, in December, that the state was to shutdown indoor dining completely (not all restaurants complied, they'd already done it for several months earlier in the year during which time almost all complied). Anyway, I didn't expect the state to follow the CDC guidelines because the state had been more stringent on the Covid-19 thing than most other states.

Even before that, Fuhrer Wolf had announced that we would not be removing the mask mandate until 70% of the adult population of the state had been fully vaccinated; my understanding is that it was at something like 46.1% or 47.1% as of two days ago, so no way it's already up to 70%.

As it turns out, the State Health Department has chosen to defer to CDC Guidelines that fully vaccinated people are no longer required to wear masks.

The state continues to maintain that unvaccinated people must still wear masks until 70% of the state's population is vaccinated, but I don't see how that's enforceable in any practical way. What are you going to do---demand proof of vaccination from everyone not wearing a mask?

I'm vaccinated anyway, because I was sick of being bothered about it, so it doesn't really matter to me. Obviously, individual businesses (Target is one example) are still requiring masks and are fully within their rights to do so. They can require masks for fifty years, if they want to.

The store yesterday was a non-major chain, with signage out front saying, "Unvaccinated people must wear a mask in order to shop."

Yeah, that'll happen. I tend to think there's a lot of crossover between those who are adamantly against getting vaccinated and those who were majorly against the masks to begin with, so I fully expect that the better part of those wearing masks in the store still will actually have been vaccinated and at least some high percentage of those not wearing masks to be unvaccinated.

I'm not sure what the CDC/state's play is. Maybe to use (legally) being able to not wear a mask as an incentive to go get vaccinated?

I heard 66% ish but that was someone I know mentioned not news.

It appears your pelts are not in order.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2021 at 3:44:42 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I have been fairly neutral on Fauci Follies until now

guess how i feel now

AP headline writer: "Fauci says pandemic exposed ‘undeniable effects of racism’"

https://apnews.com/article/ga-state-wire-race-and-ethnicity-coronavirus-pandemic-lifestyle-health-105c4a5a0eea3550804093b137532e67
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 16th, 2021 at 4:18:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I have been fairly neutral on Fauci Follies until now

guess how i feel now

AP headline writer: "Fauci says pandemic exposed ‘undeniable effects of racism’"

https://apnews.com/article/ga-state-wire-race-and-ethnicity-coronavirus-pandemic-lifestyle-health-105c4a5a0eea3550804093b137532e67

He's mostly looking at the low vaccination rate among blacks not due to low availability of the vaccines, but due to distrust of government medical initiatives that betrayed them in the past. And also poor communities aren't exactly the highest priority for receiving high quality and prompt medical care so it is likely not a great experience for those in such communities.

Quote:
The goal was to “observe the natural history of untreated syphilis” in black populations, but the subjects were completely unaware and were instead told they were receiving treatment for bad blood when in fact, they received no treatment at all
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2021 at 5:10:17 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Hey, if the gov't wants to increase the vaccination rate among urban blacks they could instruct the CIA to work with the urban drug dealers and add the vaccine to all the heroin headed for the ghettos.