No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

June 8th, 2020 at 2:08:28 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Is everyone missing the point that the primary purpose of the masks is to try to prevent SPREADING it if you do happen to have it?

So, if you don't, "Need a mask," because your immune system will disregard the virus as a mild irritation if you get it...you don't need to prove your genetic superiority or fitness by increasing the risk of spreading the virus (if you are indeed carrying it) to others.

IOW, it's to potentially protect others, not yourself.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2020 at 2:11:10 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
The majority of protestors wear masks
I have to imagine very few if any masks at a Trump rally

I see a higher percentage of masks among protesters as the days pass that I did at first, but that is just based on looking at pictures...it is not a real count.

The vast majority of hoodlums of all types did wear masks...

"“I don’t think there’s a question of whether there will be spikes in cases in 10 to 14 days,” Mark Shrime, a public-health researcher at Harvard, told me. “With so many protests happening, that are getting so much bigger, I don’t think it’s a question of if, but when and where.”"

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/protests-pandemic/612460/

Perhaps the expected spike will tamp down the push to rally right away...but maybe not...
June 8th, 2020 at 2:17:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Is everyone missing the point that the primary purpose of the masks is to try to prevent SPREADING it if you do happen to have it?

So, if you don't, "Need a mask," because your immune system will disregard the virus as a mild irritation if you get it...you don't need to prove your genetic superiority or fitness by increasing the risk of spreading the virus (if you are indeed carrying it) to others.

IOW, it's to potentially protect others, not yourself.

So if I do not have it nothing to worry about?

The masks are about control.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2020 at 2:29:50 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
So if I do not have it nothing to worry about?

The masks are about control.

It depends. Let me make a few statements that I think can all simultaneously be true:

1.) I believe that the Government can, and perhaps even should, issue optional public health guidelines. We know that Coronavirus has a disproportionately high mortality rate amongst the elderly, for example, so I see no problem SUGGESTING that affected groups (or those who live with them) do their best to limit social contact.

2.) I believe that people and businesses freely associate on the terms of the property owner. Therefore, if a business wants to say, "You cannot enter this establishment unless you are wearing a mask," the business is perfectly within its rights to do that. If an individual does not like that policy, then that individual can go elsewhere.

3.) I believe, if I were to contract Coronavirus, that the probability of my transmitting it to other people is reduced if I wear a mask in situations where I interact socially. I consider this, on a personal level, superior to what little benefit I get from not wearing a mask.

4.) I support your right not to wear a mask if you do not want to do so, UNLESS you are on a property where the owners/operators of the property say that you must wear a mask.

5.) I do not support the Government DEMANDING people wear masks in public.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2020 at 3:07:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
Trump could easily lose, .

True. But Biden would have to
pick Martin Luther King as
his running mate, and find a
cure for dementia for it to
happen. Not worried..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2020 at 3:09:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Anybody see Pelosi wearing her Kente cloth taking the knee today?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 8th, 2020 at 3:15:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Anybody see Pelosi wearing her Kente cloth taking the knee today?

Cool
I was brought up to appreciate all cultures.
Kente Cloth are beautiful. Very colorful
If I wasn't downsizing, would consider getting kente cloth
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 8th, 2020 at 5:12:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
So is the poll who you think will win or who do you want to win?

1948 Democratic incumbent Truman won
1956 Republican incumbent Eisenhower won
1964 Democratic incumbent LBJ won
1972 Republican incumbent Nixon won
1976 Republican incumbent Ford lost
1980 Democratic incumbent Carter lost
1984 Republican incumbent Reagan won
1992 Republican incumbent Bush lost
1996 Democratic incumbent Clinton won
2004 Republican incumbent GW Bush won
2012 Democratic incumbent Obama won

Since WWII the incumbent has won 8 times (4 Democrat and 4 Republican) and the incumbent has lost 3 times. The incumbent LBJ dropped out of the race in 1968.

Of the three losses Ford had never been elected, Carter had the hostage crisis in Iran, and Bush had a 3rd party candidate who won 18% of the popular vote.
June 8th, 2020 at 10:26:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Of the three losses Ford had never been elected, Carter had the hostage crisis in Iran, and Bush had a 3rd party candidate who won 18% of the popular vote.

So actually 8 incumbents have won,
and only 1 has lost. Jimma Carter.
Bush would have won if Perot hadn't
run, so it doesn't count as Clinton
legitimately beating him in a 2 man
race. Carter lost because he was an
ineffectual boob of a leader. He got
nothing done, was afraid of his own
shadow, was a micromanaging ninny.
All the things Trump isn't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2020 at 4:22:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
So actually 8 incumbents have won,
and only 1 has lost. Jimma Carter.
Bush would have won if Perot hadn't
run, so it doesn't count as Clinton
legitimately beating him in a 2 man
race. Carter lost because he was an
ineffectual boob of a leader. He got
nothing done, was afraid of his own
shadow, was a micromanaging ninny.
All the things Trump isn't.

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I mean, “Interesting,” in the Minnesotan sense. You would think if H.W. had been that great, Perot’s présence wouldn’t have mattered much.

I always support you vote for the person you most want to win, don’t get me wrong. That said, if you’re a Republican voting Perot (as opposed to Bush) you’ve got to know you’re making a Clinton win more likely.
Page 3 of 313<123456>Last »