On This Day

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
July 28th, 2020 at 4:06:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
I think about time a lot,
it goes so fast when you
get older. Thinking about
the date every day slows
it down somewhat and puts
it in perspective. On July 28
this happened.

WW1 began 1914

Johnson sends 50,000 troops to Vietnam 1965

Elvis has his second number 1 hit in 3 months. 1956

John Kerry is nominated. 2004
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 29th, 2020 at 2:24:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
July 29th. A date in history.

Prince Charles married Diana 1981

NASA was created 1958

Son of Sam makes his first attack 1976

Hitler takes over German Workers Party 1921

Hawaii becomes a state 1959

David Niven dies 1983

Professor Irwin Corey, entertainer. Born 1914, dies 2017 at 103
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 29th, 2020 at 4:17:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 126
Posts: 12765
Quote: Evenbob
July 29th. A date in history.

Prince Charles married Diana 1981


I remember all the coverage this got. It was like since the USA does not have our own royal family we decided to follow the royalty we kicked the heck out of here in 1776. I do not get the fascination some people have over them. When Di died some acted as if someone in their own family had died.

Well, I get part of it. Human anthropology shows there is some sort of "need" for a class of royals at the top of society. In the USA we use athletes and celebrities. It gives a certain type of person guidance. OTOH, the fascination with the royals over there has faded since Diana's death. It could be just more TV channels now or that the new generation of royals is more removed from the throne.

Or it could just be something about Diana. She was one of those women that women gravitated to liking.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 29th, 2020 at 9:22:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
Quote: AZDuffman
OTOH, the fascination with the royals over there has faded since Diana's death.


A little, maybe. The royal palaces
in England are still in the top 5
most visited tourist sites in the
world. It's nut's in the summer,
lines and wait times are long.
To see the estate where Downton
Abbey was filmed you need
tickets far in advance.

I watched Diana and Charles get
married in 81. She was gorgeous,
that was part of it. And we got
really good live coverage, which
was pretty new. Just a few years
earlier it would have sucked.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 29th, 2020 at 2:46:06 PM permalink
JimRockford
Member since: Sep 18, 2015
Threads: 2
Posts: 566
Quote: AZDuffman
I remember all the coverage this got. It was like since the USA does not have our own royal family we decided to follow the royalty we kicked the heck out of here in 1776. I do not get the fascination some people have over them. When Di died some acted as if someone in their own family had died.

Well, I get part of it. Human anthropology shows there is some sort of "need" for a class of royals at the top of society. In the USA we use athletes and celebrities. It gives a certain type of person guidance. OTOH, the fascination with the royals over there has faded since Diana's death. It could be just more TV channels now or that the new generation of royals is more removed from the throne.

Or it could just be something about Diana. She was one of those women that women gravitated to liking.

I have to think it's in large part because we are of Great Britain. From Shakespeare and Dickens to Led Zeppelin, Monty Python and Downton Abbey American and British culture are and have always been intertwined more than we admit.

The above recycled from another thread.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 29th, 2020 at 11:51:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
July 30th.

Henry Ford, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Paul Anka,
Lisa Kudrow. She'll be 57. I had no isea she was
in her 40's on Friends.

City of Baltimore founded 1729

George Eastman unveils color motion pictures

Sinking of the USS Inianapolis in 1945.
The story was told in the movie Jaws
about how they waited in the water
while the sharks picked them off one
at a time. Riveting, you could literally
hear a pin drop in the theater it was
so quiet.

One of the top 10 movie scenes of all time:



This is an actual survivor of that ordeal.
Talk about a war story to tell the kids.
It starts at 4:40 in:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2020 at 3:53:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 126
Posts: 12765
Quote: Evenbob
July 30th.
Henry Ford, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Paul Anka,
Lisa Kudrow. She'll be 57. I had no isea she was
in her 40's on Friends.


She wasn't for the most part. But I did not realize either. "Friends" was for me that show that parallels your own life because the characters were your age. Stuff that happened to them I saw in my own life at the time.

FWIW, Phoebe was the only one of the three women who was remotely datable on that show. Show should also have been axed 1-2 years sooner than it was. Went on too long.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 30th, 2020 at 9:44:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
Quote: AZDuffman


FWIW, Phoebe was the only one of the three women who was remotely datable on that show. .


Not for me. I couldn't stand
her airhead character, and
because of that I still can't
watch anything she does.
I hate stupid women.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2020 at 10:08:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 126
Posts: 12765
Quote: Evenbob
Not for me. I couldn't stand
her airhead character, and
because of that I still can't
watch anything she does.
I hate stupid women.


Monica was just too high maintenance and Rachel was a spoiled rich chick. She was the best choice of the three.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 30th, 2020 at 10:35:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 138
Posts: 21562
Quote: AZDuffman
Monica was just too high maintenance and Rachel was a spoiled rich chick. She was the best choice of the three.


I went thru a school teacher dating
phase. Three in a row. I thought
surely these will be smart women.
All three were dumb as rocks.I
mean over payed stupid dumb.

I read an article by PJ O'Roarke in
the 90's that said it you wanted to
get laid in the 70's in college,
hang around the teacher dorms.
Guaranteed to get sex on the first
date. He said even then he was
worried that these were the future
teachers of our kids. He was so
right, they all became airhead far
Lefties.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 71234>Last »