The Expat Retirement Thread (or expat thread)

January 30th, 2021 at 10:05:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I would rather live in a small house somewhere nice than a big house where I don't want to be.

We were thinking about buying a small 700 sq ft condo on Orient Beach in St. Martin for $400,000 but now we are leaning to just rent for four months a year.

I live in a small place, smaller houses (not "tiny homes") are where it is at unless you have a large family. But what they want for anything in some of these places is insane. Of course I do not want to be is SoCal, or CA itself at all.

Get a small house while you can, investors are gobbling them up.
The President is a fink.
January 30th, 2021 at 11:14:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I live in a small place, smaller houses (not "tiny homes") are where it is at unless you have a large family. But what they want for anything in some of these places is insane. Of course I do not want to be is SoCal, or CA itself at all.

Get a small house while you can, investors are gobbling them up.

My wife and I bought a house that is way bigger than we need. 3300 sq ft and it is just the two of us but we bought it because the back yard was exactly what we were looking for. I would have been fine with a 1500 sqft if we could have found this yard.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 30th, 2021 at 1:51:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
If you like BBQ, the restaurant Holy Smokin Butts in Tucson is one that I always go to when in Tucson. I don't know if it is anything special but I really like eating BBQ so I try it anywhere that I am at.

I'll keep that in mind
Eating lunch in old town Scottsdale
What a beautiful town
Nice park in the middle of town
Good restaurants
Free parking and plenty of parking
Art galleries galore.
Just wandering around on foot getting good exercise
Loving this town
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2021 at 4:22:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I'll keep that in mind
Eating lunch in old town Scottsdale
What a beautiful town
Nice park in the middle of town
Good restaurants
Free parking and plenty of parking
Art galleries galore.
Just wandering around on foot getting good exercise
Loving this town
I found stealth RV camping in almost downtown Scottsdale.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 1st, 2021 at 5:45:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Nobody is going to Puerta Vallarta?

Outside of Cancun it has one of the best connected airports at a beach location in Mexico.

Alaska Airlines Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA) Seasonal: Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Phoenix–Sky Harbor Seasonal: Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare
American Eagle Seasonal: Los Angeles
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Seattle/Tacoma Seasonal: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul
Frontier Airlines Las Vegas (begins March 25, 2021) Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Denver
Southwest Airlines Denver, Houston–Hobby, Orange County (resumes March 11, 2021), Phoenix–Sky Harbor
Sun Country Airlines Seasonal: Dallas/Fort Worth (resumes June 4, 2021),[6] Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul
United Airlines Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Newark, San Francisco Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Los Angeles
United Express Seasonal: Houston–Intercontinental
Volaris Phoenix–Sky Harbor (suspended),Tijuana Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare
--
Air Canada Vancouver Seasonal: Calgary, Montréal–Trudeau
Air Canada Rouge Toronto–Pearson
Air Transat Montréal–Trudeau Seasonal: Québec City, Toronto–Pearson
Swoop Edmonton
WestJet Calgary, Toronto–Pearson, VancouverSeasonal: Comox, Edmonton, Kelowna, Prince George, Regina, Saskatoon, Victoria, Winnipeg
--
TUI Airways London–Gatwick, Manchester (UK)
February 2nd, 2021 at 4:56:14 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin

I am going to PV in April for a vacation.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 2nd, 2021 at 7:13:07 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Outside of Cancun it has one of the best connected airports at a beach location in Mexico.

Alaska Airlines Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA) Seasonal: Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Phoenix–Sky Harbor Seasonal: Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare
American Eagle Seasonal: Los Angeles
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Seattle/Tacoma Seasonal: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul
Frontier Airlines Las Vegas (begins March 25, 2021) Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Denver
Southwest Airlines Denver, Houston–Hobby, Orange County (resumes March 11, 2021), Phoenix–Sky Harbor
Sun Country Airlines Seasonal: Dallas/Fort Worth (resumes June 4, 2021),[6] Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul
United Airlines Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Newark, San Francisco Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Los Angeles
United Express Seasonal: Houston–Intercontinental
Volaris Phoenix–Sky Harbor (suspended),Tijuana Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare
--
Air Canada Vancouver Seasonal: Calgary, Montréal–Trudeau
Air Canada Rouge Toronto–Pearson
Air Transat Montréal–Trudeau Seasonal: Québec City, Toronto–Pearson
Swoop Edmonton
WestJet Calgary, Toronto–Pearson, VancouverSeasonal: Comox, Edmonton, Kelowna, Prince George, Regina, Saskatoon, Victoria, Winnipeg
--
TUI Airways London–Gatwick, Manchester (UK)

You are temporarily out of date. The Canadian government has banned all pleasure trips to Mexico or Caribbean destinations. The airlines have shut down all the flights from Canada.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 2nd, 2021 at 10:51:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: kenarman
You are temporarily out of date. The Canadian government has banned all pleasure trips to Mexico or Caribbean destinations. The airlines have shut down all the flights from Canada.

They have dubbed part of PV, the Zona Romantica: Located on the south side of Puerto Vallarta, ZonaRomantica has earned the honor of being the number one gay beach destination in Latin America and has seen tourism increase considerably over the past few years. The Vallarta Botanical Gardens are located here and showcase a scenic display of native plants.

https://goo.gl/maps/zPiX8XXJGTyp6a6i8

Home Style Average Rent Price
1-bedroom apartment in City Centre $309.50
1-bedroom apartment Outside of Centre $144.44
3-bedroom apartment in City Centre $631.24
3-bedroom apartment Outside of Centre $403.88
Source: www.numbeo.com (March 2017)

I went there with a woman, and despite the marketing at American gays, it is still a very relaxed and low cost place to stay.
February 2nd, 2021 at 11:51:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Would you live in a totally new development(recubbed an “Urbanburb”)?

PHASE I OPENED OCTOBER 2014
1 Billion DOLLAR PROJECT
86 ACRES
526 LUXURY RENTAL UNITS
101 SINGLE FAMILY HOME SITES
330-Key FOUR-STAR FULL-SERVICE HOTEL AND CONFERENCE CENTER
8.8 ACRES OF GATHERING SPACE
Including A 10,000 SQUARE FOOT PLAZA
570,000 SQUARE FEET OF RETAIL
678,000 SQUARE FEET OF OFFICE SPACE

It isn't cheap. An 800 square foot apartment is $2K per month, and the single family homes are the better fraction of a million dollars and over a million for a larger home. It might have touches of Mayberry R.F.D., but it certainly is a lot more expensive.
February 2nd, 2021 at 11:53:48 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
They have dubbed part of PV, the Zona Romantica: Located on the south side of Puerto Vallarta, ZonaRomantica has earned the honor of being the number one gay beach destination in Latin America and has seen tourism increase considerably over the past few years. The Vallarta Botanical Gardens are located here and showcase a scenic display of native plants.

https://goo.gl/maps/zPiX8XXJGTyp6a6i8

Home Style Average Rent Price
1-bedroom apartment in City Centre $309.50
1-bedroom apartment Outside of Centre $144.44
3-bedroom apartment in City Centre $631.24
3-bedroom apartment Outside of Centre $403.88
Source: www.numbeo.com (March 2017)

I went there with a woman, and despite the marketing at American gays, it is still a very relaxed and low cost place to stay.

I have been to PV several times. The last few I just went to Nuevo Vallarta for the beach, still haven't managed to walk the beach from one end to the other. Downtown and the Zona Romantica don't appeal to me much anymore. All colonial downtown areas are pretty much the same.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin