Haunting Series in Netflix

Page 2 of 2<12
October 26th, 2020 at 2:58:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
I was a little bit surprised by the ending of the first one. I didn't expect so much of the menace to vanish.

That's what I liked about it.

The new one, the ending is just odd, and the flow of the story is just not right. I started to lose interest about half way through, and then it just got worse (the first couple episodes were good).

Also, the historical flashback episode was just tedious.

Its a shame, because they had a great cast and crew (and solid source material, even if there are already countless adoptions), I feel that it could have been much better, but they tried to hard to make it obscure to the point where its just not enjoyable. There is just so much that does not make sense (both in terms of story, and in the way they chose to portray it), but I don't want to nitpick everything, I just think the first one is far better. The second one was watchable, but I can't see me every wanting to watch it again (unlike the first).

It also may be worth noting I am not a "horror person" in general, so take that as you may. But, the first series was one horror series that I really enjoyed.
October 26th, 2020 at 5:12:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
It also may be worth noting I am not a "horror person" in general, so take that as you may. But, the first series was one horror series that I really enjoyed.

Flanagan is often credited with creating horror films that rely on the buildup from prolonged tension (often lasting years) instead of "jump scares".

Quote: A jump scare (often shortened to jumpscare)
is a technique often used in horror films, haunted attractions, video games, and Internet screamers, intended to scare the audience by surprising them with an abrupt change in image or event, usually co-occurring with a frightening sound, mostly loud screaming. Common in film since the 1980s, the jump scare has been described as "one of the most basic building blocks of horror movies".Jump scares can surprise the viewer by appearing at a point in the film where the soundtrack is quiet and the viewer is not expecting anything alarming to happen, or can be the sudden payoff to a long period of suspense.

Some critics have described jump scares as a lazy way to frighten viewers, and believe that the horror genre has undergone a decline in recent years following an over-reliance on the trope, establishing it as a cliché of modern horror films.

The last episode suddenly transformed the house from a carniverous monster, to a kind of blissful cradle that stores souls in peace for eternity. I thought that the reveal of Abigail as a live girl instead of ghost was brilliant.
Page 2 of 2<12