Stop the Steal!

Thread Rating:

November 23rd, 2020 at 9:31:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: OnceDear
https://www.insider.com/how-to-talk-politics-with-people-you-dont-agree-with-2020-11

Do you want me to be more considerate?

I've been aware for a long time that there is advice for making less egregious and more palatable conversation. It's just not what I concern myself with.

I blame myself if I ignore a fact just because I don't like the person who is delivering it, or their way of expressing it. Everyone should be thankful if they are getting facts regardless of the poor delivery or messenger. If they're not getting facts, then they should be angry at someone or something who is doing that.
No reason to be polite to constant liars even if they are polite to you.

But it's just what I follow for myself.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2020 at 2:16:57 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: rxwine
Do you want me to be more considerate?

I've been aware for a long time that there is advice for making less egregious and more palatable conversation. It's just not what I concern myself with.

I blame myself if I ignore a fact just because I don't like the person who is delivering it, or their way of expressing it. Everyone should be thankful if they are getting facts regardless of the poor delivery or messenger. If they're not getting facts, then they should be angry at someone or something who is doing that.
No reason to be polite to constant liars even if they are polite to you.

But it's just what I follow for myself.
Hi RXWine. No. I wasn't dropping a hint. It's just something I stumbled on while looking at Business Insider.

I'm not sure the softly softly advice of that article would be of any value in the context of hostile discussions between polar opposite members here. I have absolutely no solution for trying to fix broken perceptions or values.
November 24th, 2020 at 3:21:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
He is being rated by historians so far as either the worst or close to the worst Presidents (yes many will not formally evaluate him until his term ends, we only have a few). But, its a safe bet that he will be in the bottom two (I would say bottom easily if he continues his behavior over the next month).

No, he is being rated by pundits. Historians cannot rate a POTUS until they have been gone at least a decade. I gave you a list of his accomplishments. Your rating it "I HATE HIM, HE IS MEAN!"

Quote:

Democrats may have cried about Russia, but they still accepted the results and allowed a peaceful transition to take place while the issue was investigated. President Obama did not try to stage a coup that is an absurd claim. He was overly gracious both publicly and behind the scenes with the logistical transition.

Accepted the results? We still hear RUSSIARUSSIARUSSIS! Obama has been anything but gracious. He is the first POTUS to speak against his successor in public.
The President is a fink.
November 24th, 2020 at 8:21:14 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
No, he is being rated by pundits. Historians cannot rate a POTUS until they have been gone at least a decade. I gave you a list of his accomplishments. Your rating it "I HATE HIM, HE IS MEAN!"

Well I don't like him and I think that he has a poor attitude I have no issue admitting that.

As for the achievements you listed several that are not regarded as achievements (and are at best subjective). The booming economy he inherited from Obama.

He is simply not rated well by the few sources we have. And, I doubt in the coming years when more sources rate him, that will change. So far the ratings have been pretty consistent (42-44). Obama also has only a few sources (though more than Trump), he is consistently rated in the teens (12-18). Young Bush is consistently in the 30s (with some outliers in the 20s), and Father Bush is consistently in the high teens- low 20s.

Regardless of your party, I don't think any rational person can predict Trump will get a good rating.

For comparison Ulysses S Grant, (a Great General), but almost always regarded as a terrible President Though he ranks in the mid 30s, and even was aware of his unpopularity, leaving with the message, "“Mistakes have been made, as all can see and I admit" (I don't Trump would have such class).

Probably the most consistent ranking is Truman (almost always number 7 with some few ranking him at 6 or 8).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States#Scholar_survey_results

The point is, it is safe to assume Trump will be ranked in the red (bottom quarter), and very likely bottom 2-3. He will probably be in the running with Buchannan, a 1-term President who was corrupt, used bribes, and extortion and was the last President to support slavery (and said that States should not leave the Union, but the Federal government should be powerless to stop them), so well done! (He also stood by his decisions until his death and refused to accept any wrongdoings, ring any bells?)

Accepted the results? We still hear RUSSIARUSSIARUSSIS! Obama has been anything but gracious. He is the first POTUS to speak against his successor in public.

Yes, because there was valid reason to think that Russia attempted to influence the election (which they did). The election results were still valid.
Obama immediately, began the transition process. Clinton conceded in less than 24 hours. Trump still has not conceded... There is no comparison.
November 24th, 2020 at 8:34:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Yes, because there was valid reason to think that Russia attempted to influence the election (which they did). The election results were still valid.

What "valid reason" was there other than liberals claiming it?
The President is a fink.
November 24th, 2020 at 8:42:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
What "valid reason" was there other than liberals claiming it?

The Senate (Remember R controlled) Intelligence Committee for one:

II. (U) FINDINGS
1. (U), The Committee found, that the IRA sought to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential
election by harming Hillary Clinton's chances of success and supporting Donald Trump
at the direction of the Kremlin.
(U) The Committee found that the IRA' s :lnformation warfare campaign was broad in
scope and entailed objectives beyond the result of the 2016 presidential election. Further,
the Committee's analysis of the IRA's activities on social media supports the key
judgments of the January 6, 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment, "Assessing
Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections," that "Russia's, goals were to
undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton,· and
harm her electability and potential presidency."5 However, where the Intelligence
Community assessed that the Russian government "aspired to help President-elect
Trump's election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly
contrasting her unfavorably to him," the Committee found that IRA social media activity
was overtly and almost invariably supportive of then-candidate Trump, and to the
detriment .of Secretary Clinton's campaign.6 ·

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Report_Volume2.pdf

And, every other U.S. Intelligence Agency for another....

Russia did attempt to influence the election, if you don't agree with that you are simply not acknowledge what our Intelligence Agencies have said.....
You can argue what impact this had on the actual voters, but you cannot deny their attempted influence....
November 24th, 2020 at 8:53:22 AM permalink
OnceDear

Russia did attempt to influence the election, if you don't agree with that you are simply not acknowledge what our Intelligence Agencies have said.....
You can argue what impact this had on the actual voters, but you cannot deny their attempted influence....
If he doesn't agree with that, he's in what he would consider to be good company. trump chose not to believe his own agencies, but he believed Putin. I guess that means AZD believed Putin over those US institutions too?
November 24th, 2020 at 9:25:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: OnceDear
If he doesn't agree with that, he's in what he would consider to be good company. trump chose not to believe his own agencies, but he believed Putin. I guess that means AZD believed Putin over those US institutions too?

If the head of your government said he believed Putin over his own intelligence agencies how would your country react?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2020 at 9:53:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
The Senate (Remember R controlled) Intelligence Committee for one:

II. (U) FINDINGS
1. (U), The Committee found, that the IRA sought to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential
election by harming Hillary Clinton's chances of success and supporting Donald Trump
at the direction of the Kremlin.
(U) The Committee found that the IRA' s :lnformation warfare campaign was broad in
scope and entailed objectives beyond the result of the 2016 presidential election. Further,
the Committee's analysis of the IRA's activities on social media supports the key
judgments of the January 6, 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment, "Assessing
Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections," that "Russia's, goals were to
undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton,· and
harm her electability and potential presidency."5 However, where the Intelligence
Community assessed that the Russian government "aspired to help President-elect
Trump's election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly
contrasting her unfavorably to him," the Committee found that IRA social media activity
was overtly and almost invariably supportive of then-candidate Trump, and to the
detriment .of Secretary Clinton's campaign.6 ·

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Report_Volume2.pdf

And, every other U.S. Intelligence Agency for another....

Oh, please. Nations try to influence EVERY election. Just with Trump the liberals screamed RUSSIARUSSIARUISSIA!

Are you going to accept that China influenced the 2020 election?
The President is a fink.
November 24th, 2020 at 10:03:51 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: rxwine

If the head of your government said he believed Putin over his own intelligence agencies how would your country react?
He would be torn to shreds in our parliament, where he is obliged to appear weekly for Prime Ministers Questions. The opposition party would shred him first, but his own parties back benchers would make him explain himself too. The public would be outraged and would protest through their members of parliament and through peaceful protests on the street. There would likely be a 'vote of no confidence' in the leader, or his party, leading to early dismissal.
Our PM leads from within parliament. He doesn't rule from without. We don't elect our PM, we elect the leading party and that party elect him and can replace him.
Both our incumbent party and our opposition parties work for this country first, with much common ground. Imperfect, but different to your system.