Have you heard The News???

Page 3 of 3<123
January 26th, 2021 at 11:57:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
here's another one:

DJ may not have intended it, but it would seem so: Why is saying "have you heard the news?" a pertinent expression for an evangelist?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 26th, 2021 at 12:33:13 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: odiousgambit
here's another one:

DJ may not have intended it, but it would seem so: Why is saying "have you heard the news?" a pertinent expression for an evangelist?

Actually, that’s exactly why I chose that subject.
And I’m kinda surprised nobody picked up on it sooner.

You’ll note, in my subject, The News, is capitalized. Deliberately.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
January 27th, 2021 at 12:58:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I was surprised to come across that too. A LONG time ago I went to a very politically liberal church, which loved to quote the "swords into plowshares" passage. So, it was very surprising to see another verse the other way. However, it would seem appropriate sometimes.

"There is a time for war and a time for peace." -- Ecclesiastes, chapter 3.

Fascinating. You hear it so often as " swords into plowshares", I had no idea that prophets used it both ways

He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
— Isaiah 2:4
He shall judge between many peoples, and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
— Micah 4:3
Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weakling say, “I am a warrior.”
— Joel 3:10 or 4:10 in the Masoretic system.

What is interesting is that all three verses are attributed to the 8th century BC, so it is impossible to know which version was said first.
January 28th, 2021 at 12:26:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

1. Luke was the author, right? I'll guess at a tax collector. I'm pretty sure one of them was.
2. ?
3. I think John.
4. There is a verse along the lines that if you have true faith in Jesus, you can handle poisonous snakes and not get bitten.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2021 at 3:39:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard

1.  Luke was the author, right?  I'll guess at a tax collector.  I'm pretty sure one of them was. 
2.  ?
3.  I think John.
4.  There is a verse along the lines that if you have true faith in Jesus, you can handle poisonous snakes and not get bitten.
well, it certainly seems right that the Wizard gave it a whirl considering how he sometimes does a priest in character

Time for the answers. I too will keep it in spoiler protection in the now unlikely event anyone else wants to try . Answers in italics. 

1] The writer of "The Gospel According to Luke" is thought to have been a member of what profession?  He is believed to have been a doctor

2] Certain sayings of Jesus like "Tis better to give than receive" are thought to have been collected also in a now missing 'book' called what by scholars?  It is called the Q Source. "Matthew and Luke each had two sources in common: the Gospel of Mark and another gospel, now lost, a collection of sayings known only as Q. Q stands for "Quelle," the German word for source." from google search citing PBS.org. Sometimes referred to as "the sayings of Jesus". That it is thought to have existed suggests some of Christ's sayings may have been lost! It may or may not have ever been written down, all the gospels seem to have been 'oral tradition only' for a period. Barstool scholars like to pounce on the fact that it was several decades before Mark was written down, see next

3] Which gospel was written first? Mark was first, written " ... around 65-75 CE. " per https://www.learnreligions.com/gospel-according-to-mark-248660 . I prefer to still use AD, but, well, you know, gotta be hip sometimes

4] Why do some fundamentalist churches do ceremonies where they handle venomous snakes? Wizard got this one right. King James, Mark 16:18 "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

extra credit] Why is saying "have you heard the news?" a pertinent expression for an evangelist? 
'Gospel' comes from "Old English gōdspel, from gōd  ‘good’ + spel ‘news, a story’ " per a google search for the origins of the word 'gospel', citing "Oxford Languages".  So when you were an early evangelist it seems you went around telling the 'good news'
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 29th, 2021 at 8:12:51 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Regarding the extra credit question and why I picked the subject.

As some of you know, I'm an ordained Reverend. But I was ordained on the internet by a church that doesn't believe in God. And I was raised Jewish. So it wasn't until a couple days ago that I found the reference in Wikipedia that OD mentioned, and learned that part of it.

For more info about me becoming a Reverend, go to http://www.ReverendDaveMiller.com

But here's the reason I picked that specific subject:
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I have heard that when a JW knocks on your door, they'll start the conversation with "Have you heard The News?"

I really thought that it was an ingrained thing that everyone knows, kinda like a draft letter always opens with "Greetings". (You all knew THAT didn't ya?)

But when nobody commented on it for days, I started to ask around. Nobody I talked to confirmed my memory. Whatever.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
Page 3 of 3<123