License plate collecting with the Wizard

February 6th, 2017 at 3:42:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Wizard
Here is something you don't see every day, a #1 Vermont license plate from 1913. Nice condition too.

Link to auction.

It closed at $3,400. You don't often see license plate on Ebay close for more than that. Usually anything this good has a reserve that isn't met.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 6th, 2017 at 3:53:06 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Amen to that. Hardly worthwhile bidding on Ebay anymore. And Amazon kills Ebay on Buy It Now Prices. And of course, nobody has a friend bid up prices. HaHa
February 6th, 2017 at 4:05:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
A regular number for a 1913 Vermont in that condition would be worth about $300. If this were the true first issued license plate in Vermont for that year, I think the value would be about $3,000 to $5,000. ...
You still have your finger on the pulse of this market Wizard. I assume it landed in the low end because of uncertainty over the existence of commemorative copies.
February 6th, 2017 at 6:27:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
You still have your finger on the pulse of this market Wizard. I assume it landed in the low end because of uncertainty over the existence of commemorative copies.

Thanks. I think the uncertainty did indeed depress competition and thus price.

As long as you like my predictions, let me make one on that 1910 Maryland plate. I predict that if it ever gets sold on eBay it will be for $2,000 to $3,000, perhaps to me.
February 6th, 2017 at 9:05:02 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Just wondering, anybody know if EBAY offers and sort of third party escrow services. You know, the plate goes to that party, verified as advertised, only then are funds released and item shipped to the buyer. Hate to fight Paypal for a refund if item did not exist, photo-shopped, etc. Especially when 2 or 3 K is involved.
February 7th, 2017 at 6:47:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: buzzardknot
Just wondering, anybody know if EBAY offers and sort of third party escrow services. You know, the plate goes to that party, verified as advertised, only then are funds released and item shipped to the buyer. Hate to fight Paypal for a refund if item did not exist, photo-shopped, etc. Especially when 2 or 3 K is involved.

I've never heard of that happening. Legitimate sellers will have a return policy if you're not satisfied with the plate. I've had to return plates before the Internet that I felt were graded too leniently.
February 7th, 2017 at 7:44:50 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Key word is "Legitimate". Goes for buyers as well as sellers. Easy to establish an ID nowadays. I imagine plate collectors and sellers are a small community. Once sold an item for $300 plus, shipped with tracking, required signature, etc. Buyer said he never received, never signed, USPS mailed me the signature card, Paypal refunded him from my account.
Still not sure if USPS requires picture ID. I know I just signed for an USPS letter, was walking down steps from 2nd floor at the time, was not asked for ID. Had to go pick one up at depot, had to show ID. I imagine if I just answer the door, the postman or USPS driver would just have me sign with no ID ?
Maybe Face can chime in with proper protocol ? ? ?
February 15th, 2017 at 2:15:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Another very nice old Nevada plate has come up on Ebay again, this time a 1919.

This year is not as valuable as the 1917 I recently purchased, may half as much. However, this one is in great shape for its age. They just don't get much better than this in Nevada, which used low quality paint in the "flat years." I have my sniper bid in. Wish me luck. It closes in four days.
February 15th, 2017 at 2:21:00 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

This year is not as valuable as the 1917 I recently purchased, may half as much. However, this one is in great shape for its age. They just don't get much better than this in Nevada, which used low quality paint in the "flat years." I have my sniper bid in. Wish me luck. It closes in four days.

As with any market for "collectibles," I wonder how easy it would be to make fakes. The metal and paint are easily obtainable, and it would be child's play to make a fake look "old." I doubt there would be much problem with the number, as it would be easy to ascertain what number-letter combinations were in use during the period in question and just make up a plausible one. Who would or could check that against old records, which may not exist anyway? For that matter, a faker could use a number that was genuinely issued, serene in the knowledge that there's not a chance in ten thousand that the vehicle that originally bore the real plate with that number even exists any longer.
February 15th, 2017 at 2:33:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Looks in very good shape, though not the most attractive design IMHO.
The President is a fink.