Disney adults

Page 1 of 212>
July 11th, 2021 at 4:49:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Disney Adults Don’t Care If You Hate Them. They’re Having Fun Anyway.

The YouTube algorithm had me watching some woman's Disney videos a couple years back. She was clearly an all-in "Disney geek" what with all the advice she gave. I figure I will never enter a Disney park again, maybe the Animal Kingdom, in my life and count me among the ones who look at it all and find it hokey. Even as a kid any kind of amusement park I went to I kind of thought I was "supposed to" be having fun more than having fun.

But it is amazing how many people stay so into Disney as adults. Is it weird or normal? Read then discuss.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2021 at 6:23:06 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Disney Adults Don’t Care If You Hate Them. They’re Having Fun Anyway.

The YouTube algorithm had me watching some woman's Disney videos a couple years back. She was clearly an all-in "Disney geek" what with all the advice she gave. I figure I will never enter a Disney park again, maybe the Animal Kingdom, in my life and count me among the ones who look at it all and find it hokey. Even as a kid any kind of amusement park I went to I kind of thought I was "supposed to" be having fun more than having fun.

But it is amazing how many people stay so into Disney as adults. Is it weird or normal? Read then discuss.

Hah I might have to stay out of this thread to avoid personal insults- this is one of the few topics that will get me really wound up.

Let’s put it this way - I have gone to Disney almost annually as an adult. Nearly all my YouTube subscriptions are Theme Park/Disney/Roller Coaster related.
July 11th, 2021 at 9:09:23 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
One could argue that the Las Vegas strip is sort of an adult-themed Disneyland.
July 11th, 2021 at 9:22:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak

Hah I might have to stay out of this thread to avoid personal insults- this is one of the few topics that will get me really wound up.

Let’s put it this way - I have gone to Disney almost annually as an adult. Nearly all my YouTube subscriptions are Theme Park/Disney/Roller Coaster related.

Hey, I am cool if someone likes it as a vacation, even if I do not get it so much. Please discuss. We need new topics here.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2021 at 9:42:31 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I think the most recent time I have been to Disney has been in High School (junior year I think) for a school trip. It was fun as a school trip (mostly because you are with friends, not so much, actually not at all, because of being at Disney). My parents took me at least twice that I recall as a child (once to the California one and once to Florida, maybe more than once to Florida).

I have never enjoyed it (Disney itself) as a kid or as a teenager. I don't like amusement parks (rides rollercoasters, etc...), they just give me a headache and are not enjoyable to me. I don't think I have ever gone to one as an adult, and never would on my own initiative. I am also not a huge Disney person, the whole theme really does not do anything for me. I also don't like crowds or lines (standing in line for hours for a ride that I know I am going to end up hating is not fun for me).

I do love Star Wars, and probably would enjoy the New Star Wars Park.

My favorite Disney ride would probably be splash mountain because I love the theme of it and it is not obnoxious with fast movements (except the end). I did like the original Pirates of Caribbean as a kid (I heard that they remade it now to be based on the movies, which is a shame). My favorite Disney movie was probably Peter Pan as a kid. I like some of the Disney classic movies, but their newer stuff just is not good (unless you count Star Wars as Disney which is kind of not fair). And, sadly the parks seem to be mostly based on their newer stuff (which makes sense, but its not for me).

I don't find it weird or normal. There are many vacations people go on every year that I find baffling. I would never go on a cruise either, but some people love them. If adults enjoy Disney, let them enjoy Disney. Its just not something that I could enjoy.

Disney is basically everything that I do not enjoy, crowds (including mostly families making it worse), amusement rides, standing in line for hours, modern tacky Disney films, bad food that is overpriced. Most of these apply to every amusement park (Disney is just exponentially worse because of its scale), which is why I just don't enjoy them (amusement parks in general).

I do agree that the Animal Kingdom is probably the most enjoyable because it is not based around rides (or really theming). During my school trip they allowed us to return to one of our choosing on Friday (after cycling through the others during the week), and I chose this one.
July 11th, 2021 at 11:31:45 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Hey, I am cool if someone likes it as a vacation, even if I do not get it so much. Please discuss. We need new topics here.

That wasn’t directed towards you (and I was mostly joking anyway).

The same exact topic has come up on WoV about adults liking Disney, comic books, video games, etc. There is always someone in those threads dictating what adults have the right to enjoy and it’s annoying.

I’m amazed anyone is surprised that adults enjoy Disney World. It was designed from its inception to appeal to adults as much as children.

How could anyone look at Epcot and come away thinking it’s a kiddie park?
July 11th, 2021 at 11:44:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
That wasn’t directed towards you (and I was mostly joking anyway).

Didn't say it was, offering support for the conversation.

Quote:
The same exact topic has come up on WoV about adults liking Disney, comic books, video games, etc. There is always someone in those threads dictating what adults should or should not enjoy and it’s annoying.

I’m amazed anyone is surprised that adults enjoy Disney World. It was designed from its inception to appeal to adults as much as children.

How could anyone look at Epcot and come away thinking it’s a kiddie park?

I just saw a YT on EPCOT and it is kind of a headache for Disney. "Tomorrow" got here 20 years ago and it has been hard to keep the place up. Corporate sponsors back in the 80s were more just showing their wares, not they say it is more hard sell. Plus sponsors like Kodak and GM back then were so at the top of their industry they could drop some cash there. Now the "top of the world" corporations like Google or Facebook are not near as interested. For the "country side" of the park it can be worse, you have nations trying to justify dropping $20MM of their taxpayer dollars on a park in the USA, for what?

I get adults in EPCOT and the former MGM park. The later you got quite a bit of background on how they did movies and stuff. I less get the Magic Kingdom for adults, though I never much was into Disney as a kid. Although I do still like "The Muppets" so liked that even seeing it at age 21 or so.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2021 at 11:51:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I definitely enjoy Epcot but will probably never go back to Disneyland or Disney World. I don't know if I have ever seen a Disney movie, maybe as a kid but not in the last 45 years for sure.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 11th, 2021 at 4:33:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Never been to Disney world or land, but I do enjoy amusement parks. I wouldn’t judge anyone for enjoying them, no matter what their age.

Growing up an hour away from Cedar Point in Ohio was a luxury.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 11th, 2021 at 6:31:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
Never been to Disney world or land, but I do enjoy amusement parks. I wouldn’t judge anyone for enjoying them, no matter what their age.

Growing up an hour away from Cedar Point in Ohio was a luxury.

No amusement park compares to Cedar Point. I grew up about 30 minutes from there.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>