Meal Kits

Page 1 of 3123>
August 13th, 2021 at 10:44:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Has anyone done a meal kit plan? Looking at both get some variety but also to work the discounts over and over if I can. Probably start after Labor Day.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2021 at 10:48:13 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Yes, I have tried nearly every one on the market.

Hello Fresh is my favorite all around. Every Plate is my favorite budget option. Cook Unity was my favorite 100% premade meal service, but Freshly is a close second.

I’ve also tried:
Marley Spoon
Dinnerly
Gobble
Home Chef
Blue Apron

I have not tried Purple Carrot, Green Chef, or Sunbasket.

Let me know if you want more in depth reviews of any of these, costs, etc.

Also once you figure out what to try, I probably have a free box or discount code to share. I have never paid full price for a box.
August 13th, 2021 at 10:55:58 AM permalink
gamerfreak
This meal from Hello Fresh is one of the best things I’ve ever cooked

August 13th, 2021 at 12:28:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak

Hello Fresh is my favorite all around. Every Plate is my favorite budget option. Cook Unity was my favorite 100% premade meal service, but Freshly is a close second.

I’ve also tried:
Marley Spoon
Dinnerly
Gobble
Home Chef
Blue Apron

I have not tried Purple Carrot, Green Chef, or Sunbasket.

Let me know if you want more in depth reviews of any of these, costs, etc.

Also once you figure out what to try, I probably have a free box or discount code to share. I have never paid full price for a box.

I'll let you know via PM if I need a code. I am looking at them and it looks like a person can string codes together and keep switching for low cost bachelor living.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2021 at 12:31:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I'll let you know via PM if I need a code. I am looking at them and it looks like a person can string codes together and keep switching for low cost bachelor living.

Wow, times have changed. When I was a bachelor low cost eating involved Top Ramen and 99 cent packs of hot dogs.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 13th, 2021 at 12:37:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: gamerfreak

I’ve also tried:
Marley Spoon
Dinnerly
Gobble
Home Chef
Blue Apron

I would love to see the 'chefs' at these places. What a joke. I would not eat any of these meals if they were free. I can only Imagine the crappy ingredients they use to get to their final result. Shudder.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2021 at 1:02:06 PM permalink
gamerfreak

The trick is rotating different meal kits.

Do the intro offer (or free box from a friend) for each service, that gets you 5 weeks + of free and discounted boxes.

After you use the discounts, cancel the service and they will send you an email in a few weeks to resubscribe at a discount.

It’s very easy to pause/cancel all of these services.
August 13th, 2021 at 1:02:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I would love to see the 'chefs' at these places. What a joke. I would not eat any of these meals if they were free. I can only Imagine the crappy ingredients they use to get to their final result. Shudder.

On most you get the ingredients fresh. I bought one at the grocery store couple years back and all fresh stuff. The advantage is you do not have to buy all kinds of everything you get what you need.

Wasted food is the bane of the bachelor, or anyone living alone. Need 1/4 onion but you have to buy the whole thing. Repeat for every ingredient.

One I looked at comes like a TV Dinner but all fresh stuff. I would rather do more of my own prep.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2021 at 1:30:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
On most you get the ingredients fresh. I bought one at the grocery store couple years back and all fresh stuff. The advantage is you do not have to buy all kinds of everything you get what you need.

Wasted food is the bane of the bachelor, or anyone living alone. Need 1/4 onion but you have to buy the whole thing. Repeat for every ingredient.

One I looked at comes like a TV Dinner but all fresh stuff. I would rather do more of my own prep.
For awhile in Kodiak, Safeway was breaking down heads of celery and selling individual stocks. I loved it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 13th, 2021 at 3:01:10 PM permalink
gamerfreak

The grocery store is definitely cheaper. But especially as a single person or even 2 people, it takes a lot of planning to cook and not have any waste. I also hate leftovers.

The convenience of having the exact ingredients/amounts delivered is worth it for me. The portion sizes are usually on the smaller side, but I’ve lost a good bit of weight after doing meal kits because the portions are controlled.

It’s definitely cheaper than takeout.
Page 1 of 3123>