Call a spade a spade

Page 2 of 3<123>
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:29:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
I got an idea. Make the Republicans actually pay off the debt. Let's see if the supporters won't squeal like stuck pigs. All those old Republicans will wonder what happened to their SS and medicare.

Terrible idea. You know they would just print enough new money to pay it off and then we would all have to deal with the inflation.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:38:48 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Mission do you unabashedly support every libertarian position or scheme espoused by any libertarian?

I certainly don't support all the ideas of the left.

Thanks.

That wouldn’t be possible, we’re split on abortion rights, for one thing.

I’m also not very Libertarian when it comes to state-level politics where I think I’d be best described as a moderate Democrat. I’m just not a big fan of the Federal Government having too much power or doing too many things because the individual states are very different and both parties trying to use the Federal Government to control what the states do is the reason that national level politics is so contentious and divisive. It’s also why the POTUS election is much more important than it actually should be.

Furthermore, I’m definitely not as loose with gun laws/rights as most Libertarians would like, but I think I’m probably right of most Democrats on that issue.

I’d say that some Libertarians would just as soon see minimum wage abolished, at the Federal level, and I disagree with that. Generally speaking. Libertarians would also be more lax on health and safety laws as relates places of employment, but I think the current standards there, were they actually enforced, are basically fine.

Libertarians tend to promote everything in the Constitution, whereas I am totally opposed to the Electoral College. I consider the EC almost completely responsible for the two-party system and the root cause that national level politics are the total mess we see today.

The platform says that Government licenses marriages illegitimately, but I disagree, and don’t see why it matters anyway as long as anyone who wants to get a marriage license can—age permitting, of course.

The Libertarian platform is opposed to the death penalty and I favor it, in certain instances.

There are several more, but the short answer to your question is no.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:53:01 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What was Trump's plan to make up the budget shortfall after he overhauled the tax code to coddle the rich?
November 3rd, 2021 at 4:09:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don’t think there is all that much idealism in making sure people can more easily access the basics of life.

Name some ways that conservatives stand in the way of people getting the basics of life. I mean actual ways, not fake liberal talking points.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2021 at 4:19:09 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: missedhervee
What was Trump's plan to make up the budget shortfall after he overhauled the tax code to coddle the rich?
I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up

"The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.

“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt."

And he was right. Citizens and voters haven't grasped that the consequences of the acts of government generally take years, maybe 4 years, to have their full impact. Any stuff that trump did will be hitting the markets, the industries and society, well into Biden's term. So Biden gets the blame. Any stuff that happens in Biden's term, good or bad, will be felt in the term of the next guy and make the next guy more or less popular.
Thus the destructive politicians get a good rep and become popular on the actions of their predecessors from the other party while the better able politicians get a bad rep rep and become unpopular while struggling to undo the actions of their destructive predecessors.

A system designed to give you the most destructive leaders and stymie the others.
Like blaming firefighters for flood damage from their hoses.
November 3rd, 2021 at 5:27:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: OnceDear
I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up

"The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.

“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt."

And he was right. Citizens and voters haven't grasped that the consequences of the acts of government generally take years, maybe 4 years, to have their full impact. Any stuff that trump did will be hitting the markets, the industries and society, well into Biden's term. So Biden gets the blame. Any stuff that happens in Biden's term, good or bad, will be felt in the term of the next guy and make the next guy more or less popular.
Thus the destructive politicians get a good rep and become popular on the actions of their predecessors from the other party while the better able politicians get a bad rep rep and become unpopular while struggling to undo the actions of their destructive predecessors.

A system designed to give you the most destructive leaders and stymie the others.
Like blaming firefighters for flood damage from their hoses.

I didn't realized you had a degree in economics or were present in cabinet conversations with Trump. Probably Zoomed in seeing you were in Britain.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 3rd, 2021 at 5:40:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Name some ways that conservatives stand in the way of people getting the basics of life. I mean actual ways, not fake liberal talking points.

Because despite their mistakes it's liberal policies past and present that kept the country from being 1% kingdoms and 99% serfs.

Conservative would have kept the common man at the bottom of the coal mines dying of black lung. Never getting ahead.

Liberals pushed for 40 hour work weeks, raising wages, child care, safety measures, clean water, clean air for the everyone, promoted education policies, programs for school, equal rights and fair pay for all classes of people, voting rights and civil rights and just generally always pushing for at least adequate standards of living.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2021 at 6:46:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Because despite their mistakes it's liberal policies past and present that kept the country from being 1% kingdoms and 99% serfs.

Conservative would have kept the common man at the bottom of the coal mines dying of black lung. Never getting ahead.

Liberals pushed for 40 hour work weeks, raising wages, child care, safety measures, clean water, clean air for the everyone, promoted education policies, programs for school, equal rights and fair pay for all classes of people, voting rights and civil rights and just generally always pushing for at least adequate standards of living.

Just take one talking point out of that group. Civil rights. In 1964 it was the Democrats that were against the Civil Rights bill, even Al Gore's super liberal Democrat father voted against it. Democrats have always wanted to keep blacks down on the plantation. It's Republicans that are real champion of civil rights, not Democrats.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2021 at 7:26:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
Just take one talking point out of that group. Civil rights. In 1964 it was the Democrats that were against the Civil Rights bill, even Al Gore's super liberal Democrat father voted against it. Democrats have always wanted to keep blacks down on the plantation. It's Republicans that are real champion of civil rights, not Democrats.

Yet LBJ was a Democrat.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2021 at 7:41:58 PM permalink
rxwine
...then Bobby Kennedy.
Page 2 of 3<123>