No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)
3 votes (60%)

5 members have voted

June 27th, 2013 at 5:07:21 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Regarding the poll, I use my iPhone a lot. It's way too small to be called a 'tablet', but in the context of this discussion about gestures, etc, it's a tablet.

Quote: Nareed
I have to ask, and seriously I can't think of another way of putting it: a solution for what?
"Solution" is a generic term used by the computer industry. It generally is synonymous with computer, although it could also be used to describe a software package.

The "problem" in this example is not "how do we fix Windoze 7". It is the solution for is whatever you're buying the computer/software to do, regardless of the OS.

On a side note, I'm a Mac person, but have a Windoze PC on my desk at my day job. It uses Windoze 7. Those people in the office with Windoze 8 hate it.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
June 27th, 2013 at 8:07:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DJTeddyBear
"Solution" is a generic term used by the computer industry. It generally is synonymous with computer, although it could also be used to describe a software package.

I tend to think of it in the context of a general engineering "solution" to an issue. For example the problem of how to park a lot of cars near a sidewalk. The traditional door requires a lot of space and results in dings. One "solution" is to come out the front. Another solution is to replace the door with some kind of window so that you can easily squeeze out the side. Another "solution" is a gull wing. Every solution has drawbacks. The front egress looks awkward unless you are an 80 pound model. The side windows look dangerous in event of a minor collision. The gull wing looks expensive, and not easily modified in a car bigger than 2 seats.

Page 2 of 2<12