Battle of Chosin

Page 1 of 212>
January 13th, 2022 at 2:37:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Youtube American experience (PBS) The Battle of Chosin

The Battle of Chosin on Thanksgiving 1950 (one of the worst battles in American History) was dramatised in an unprecedented $200 million production in China this year earning $909 million at the box office.
January 13th, 2022 at 3:29:20 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Youtube American experience (PBS) The Battle of Chosin

The Battle of Chosin on Thanksgiving 1950 (one of the worst battles in American History) was dramatised in an unprecedented $200 million production in China this year earning $909 million at the box office.

That sounds like something that I might watch.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 13th, 2022 at 4:01:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
That sounds like something that I might watch.

It seems like when I was a kid War films were a regular part of films. Like Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970), Apocalypse Now (1979).

By "war film" I don't mean just a human interest movie set in a war, but an epic film. In the last 20 years sweeping war films have been rare.

Off hand I can only think of three in the last 20 years:
Pearl Harbor 2001 film
Dunkirk 2017 film
Midway 2019 film

Up until now, most of the countries did not have the budgets to do an epic film from the perspective of the side opposite of the US.

I am not sure if "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) is a "war movie" or an "anti-war movie".
January 13th, 2022 at 4:03:37 PM permalink
DRich
It seems like when I was a kid War films were a regular part of films. Like Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970), Apocalypse Now (1979).

By "war film" I don't mean just a human interest movie set in a war, but an epic film. In the last 20 years sweeping war films have been rare.

Pearl Harbor 2001 film
Dunkirk 2017 film
Midway 2019 film

Up until now, most of the countries did not have the budgets to do an epic film from the perspective of the side opposite of the US.

I am not familiar with the movie Dunkirk. Does it appear to be a reasonably accurate portrayal? I really dont care about the human interest stories.
January 13th, 2022 at 4:08:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I am not familiar with the movie Dunkirk. Does it appear to be a reasonably accurate portrayal? I really dont care about the human interest stories.

I didn't see it, but it got very good reviews. It is surprisingly bloodless for a war movie, but it is about an evacuation and not a battle.
January 13th, 2022 at 4:15:42 PM permalink
DRich
I didn't see it, but it got very good reviews. It is surprisingly bloodless for a war movie, but it is about an evacuation and not a battle.

My experience says that movies that get good reviews and win awards are too "Human Interest" for me. I prefer more of a documentary.
January 13th, 2022 at 4:32:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Pearl Harbor 2001 film
Dunkirk 2017 film
Midway 2019 film

I am not sure if "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) is a "war movie" or an "anti-war movie".

I don't even remember the latest Midway movie
Its kind of a complicated battle
I love YouTube and this video perfectly shows the intricacies of the battle to make it very understandable
Its long, 3 parts but totally worth it if you are a history nut like me. This guy does a fabulous job and accurate history in itself is entertainment to me. He tells it from Japan's perspective and includes fog of war. You learn info as Japan does so you can follow the logic of all decisions
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 13th, 2022 at 6:21:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I saw Midway 2019 recently ... not too bad of a depiction. One glaring flaw was the CGI people goofed in showing the critical stage where the US Devastator torpedo bombers nearly all got shot down, scoring no hits. These special effects people either didn't understand, or felt they couldn't show well, that it was the Japanese fighters that took them out. Instead they showed anti-aircraft fire taking them out. The dialogue in the movie tries to correct that briefly but of course the conflict with what was shown was too much to correct. I could be wrong, but I think the Jap* AA was one of those areas they had not developed as well. The movie showed it to be awesome.

I don't know about the CGI. It was really good, but you could still tell it was not real, a distraction since it was so thoroughly used. I expect if they made the movie today the CGI would be even better though.

* sorry but I am so accustomed from childhood calling them Japs, as we all did of my acquaintance, I feel like a total phony not doing it here. I don't think it really is such a terrible epithet as these things go anyway
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 13th, 2022 at 6:32:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I found a trailer
January 13th, 2022 at 7:50:36 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Off hand I can only think of three in the last 20 years:[

Think again: there's more.
Page 1 of 212>