Battle of Chosin

Page 2 of 2<12
January 14th, 2022 at 6:49:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: adjoining blurb
The story takes place in winter, 1950. In the freezing cold Changjin Lake region, a bloody battle between the United States and China begins. Faced with the harshest conditions of extreme cold, lack of rations and vast difference in weaponry, the Chinese troops forge ahead, fearless and determined. They successfully blow up the Shuimen Bridge, making the most critical victory in the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea.
naturally the film has propoganda aspects. I still might try to see it. Emphasis mine.

You don't hear too much about it, but the Chinese triumph was pulling off a surprise invasion... just a colossal, almost unimaginable failure of US intelligence.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 14th, 2022 at 8:16:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: missedhervee
Quote: Pacomartin
Off hand I can only think of three in the last 20 years:[

Think again: there's more.

A lot of movies based on war, including American Sniper which was #1 in box office in 2014, but no sweeping war epics good or bad.

Quote: Synopsis of "American Sniper" from The Numbers

U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and, as stories of his courageous exploits spread, he earns the nickname “Legend.” However, his reputation is also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. He is also facing a different kind of battle on the home front: striving to be a good husband and father from halfway around the world. Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family at home, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, personifying the spirit of the SEAL creed to “leave no one behind.” But upon returning to his wife, Taya Renae Kyle, and kids, Chris finds that it is the war he can’t leave behind.
January 14th, 2022 at 8:41:09 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: missedhervee
Off hand I can only think of three in the last 20 years:[

Think again: there's more.

A lot of movies based on war, including American Sniper which was #1 in box office in 2014, but no sweeping war epics good or bad.

Off the top of my head:

Black Hawk Down
The Hurt Locker
Band of Brothers
We Were Soldiers

Some of these may be close to your 20 year qualification. I didn’t see all of these. Not sure if they count as sweeping epics.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 14th, 2022 at 4:54:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: JimRockford
Off the top of my head:
Black Hawk Down
The Hurt Locker
Band of Brothers
We Were Soldiers

Some of these may be close to your 20 year qualification. I didn’t see all of these. Not sure if they count as sweeping epics.

Pearl Harbor - Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer - May 21, 2001
Black Hawk Down - Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer - January 18, 2002

It does seem disengenious to call Pearl Harbor a sweeping epic, and not to call BHD also a sweeping epic. It was released to the public 20 years ago this week.

Band of Brothers was a TV mini-series.

I would really call 1917, The Hurt Locker, and We Were Soldiers more anti-war movies than war movies. I realize that it is difficult to tell sometimes.
January 14th, 2022 at 5:47:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Pearl Harbor .

Boy did that movie suck.
It sucked big time
So much BS
Every time I see Tora Tora Tora on TV, I watch. No BS
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 2<12