Black vs Asian Violence

Page 1 of 212>
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:33:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The latest in unending incidents of Black on Asian violence. I have been reluctant to think this is a real thing, that this is random violence, robberies and such, and it can be made to look like Asians are being targeted in particular. But there is plenty of discussion out there saying, yes, Blacks generally have it in for Asians.

This guy is out of his mind, what is going on?

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:25:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
The latest in unending incidents of Black on Asian violence. I have been reluctant to think this is a real thing, that this is random violence, robberies and such, and it can be made to look like Asians are being targeted in particular. But there is plenty of discussion out there saying, yes, Blacks generally have it in for Asians.

It makes me more aware that I have become a more sought after target, now that I am old and weakened with a disability. I don't want to go through the hassle of concealed carry or open carry, but I prefer it to taking a 120 hits to the head for no reason. Or for my wife to be attacked either. I grew up in a much nicer world than the one these folks are living in.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:53:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Petroglyph, unless you live in a large city you've probably got little to worry about.

Most of the assailants are urban animals.
March 22nd, 2022 at 7:35:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

"Blacks generally have it in for Asians" , that is quite a statement. It is certainly worth following trends, but saying one race is targeting another is overly general and unfair.

Black Americans are about 14% of the population. Whites (not Hispanic) is about 55% (including Hispanics as the FBI does, its something like 80%).

There were 30 hate crimes against Asians by Blacks in this reporting period and 95 against Asians by Whites (which again includes Hispanic offenders). So when scaling per capita and taking the Hispanic variable into account (which lowers the "actually white" numbers), crimes against Asians are roughly correct statistically.

30/205 = 14ish % (the number of black crimes against Asians against the total crimes against Asians). IE pretty on par with the general demographics (which is how it should be if there is nothing to see).

An even more overwhelming statistic is the amount of violence against gay men by blacks. Which is over 30% when it should be about 14%. (Whereas whites are about 33%, when it should be about 80%). But, we would need to know more background for this. However, this is the one stat where I see a massive racial disparity.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/topic-pages/tables/table-5.xls

This chart from 2019, is the most recent hate crime stats we have (this is the table that breaks down by offender's race, and the most recent that is available so its what we have to go on).

The complicated thing is the FBI still considers "Hispanics" as "White" (they differ with "race" and "ethnicity" which is pretty arbitrary). And, you have to look further on to see if some was or was not "Hispanic or Latino" (which in many cases just gets checked "unkown").... So the "white" stats are not a great indicator.

Here are all years for people who want to go back further:
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ucr/publications#Hate-Crime%20Statistics

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses

These include violent crimes (most are crimes of violence) or property crimes based on identity (such as graffitiying racist slurs to a house of a race that you don't like).

The bottom line is, its complicated, and people of any race can be racist, and people of any background can be biased. Its not wise to lump everyone in one group together (based on attributes that they cannot control).

However, saying blacks are overly biased against Asians just has zero merit and the numbers show that it is within the correct expected range.... (Now if you said blacks had a bias against gay men, that would have mathematical merit, but we would need more details for the basis of what your claimed reason is).
March 22nd, 2022 at 8:29:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've thought before that at least some news source should be reporting the news according to actual risk, not just things that seem to catch the public attention.

Cause of death or injury by crime isn't even in the top ten.

But I guess that would be too boring for people to get interested in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2022 at 9:52:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: missedhervee
Petroglyph, unless you live in a large city you've probably got little to worry about.

Most of the assailants are urban animals.
I was born in Portland Ore.. Now, In Lake Havasu on the Colorado. Very little trouble here.

But when I worked in California, the thugs would drop of I-5, rob people right in a parking lot putting their groceries in their cars and jump back on the on ramp and gone. I've definitely got more threats to my life than highwaymen.

added: I agree with the urban animals. Got to be a sick predator to attack old folks from behind and beat them near death, for next to nothing or just the thrill.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 23rd, 2022 at 3:22:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Gandler
"Blacks generally have it in for Asians" , that is quite a statement. It is certainly worth following trends, but saying one race is targeting another is overly general and unfair.
Now I did say "generally" and not "universally"

Quote:
Black Americans are about 14% of the population. Whites (not Hispanic) is about 55% (including Hispanics as the FBI does, its something like 80%).

There were 30 hate crimes against Asians by Blacks in this reporting period and 95 against Asians by Whites (which again includes Hispanic offenders). So when scaling per capita and taking the Hispanic variable into account (which lowers the "actually white" numbers), crimes against Asians are roughly correct statistically.

30/205 = 14ish % (the number of black crimes against Asians against the total crimes against Asians). IE pretty on par with the general demographics (which is how it should be if there is nothing to see).

An even more overwhelming statistic is the amount of violence against gay men by blacks. Which is over 30% when it should be about 14%. (Whereas whites are about 33%, when it should be about 80%). But, we would need to know more background for this. However, this is the one stat where I see a massive racial disparity.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/topic-pages/tables/table-5.xls

This chart from 2019, is the most recent hate crime stats we have (this is the table that breaks down by offender's race, and the most recent that is available so its what we have to go on).

The complicated thing is the FBI still considers "Hispanics" as "White" (they differ with "race" and "ethnicity" which is pretty arbitrary). And, you have to look further on to see if some was or was not "Hispanic or Latino" (which in many cases just gets checked "unkown").... So the "white" stats are not a great indicator.

Here are all years for people who want to go back further:
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ucr/publications#Hate-Crime%20Statistics

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses

These include violent crimes (most are crimes of violence) or property crimes based on identity (such as graffitiying racist slurs to a house of a race that you don't like).

The bottom line is, its complicated, and people of any race can be racist, and people of any background can be biased. Its not wise to lump everyone in one group together (based on attributes that they cannot control).

However, saying blacks are overly biased against Asians just has zero merit and the numbers show that it is within the correct expected range.... (Now if you said blacks had a bias against gay men, that would have mathematical merit, but we would need more details for the basis of what your claimed reason is).
You've made a good case that it is BS. Maybe it is. I will say that our Af/Ams though are doing a good job of getting their assaults video recorded.

There is a claim there is a huge rise on attacks against Asians. There is a tendency to blame this on the Pandemic and Trump's citing of China causing it. Personally I do believe the Pandemic/Trump claim is all BS. So maybe the claim that there is a rise in attacks on Asians out of proportion to attacks on others is also BS. Violence is up generally.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 23rd, 2022 at 4:05:08 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0

What is going on is, he's not out of his mind, he's a humanoid.

This humanoid, Tammel Esco punched her in the head 125 times, stomped her seven times, and spat on her. Charged with attempted murder, he is surprisingly being held without bail, pending a hearing on Friday, when he will most likely be released without bail.
March 23rd, 2022 at 5:34:12 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Now I did say "generally" and not "universally"

You've made a good case that it is BS. Maybe it is. I will say that our Af/Ams though are doing a good job of getting their assaults video recorded.

There is a claim there is a huge rise on attacks against Asians. There is a tendency to blame this on the Pandemic and Trump's citing of China causing it. Personally I do believe the Pandemic/Trump claim is all BS. So maybe the claim that there is a rise in attacks on Asians out of proportion to attacks on others is also BS. Violence is up generally.

Violence is definitely rising (especially in urban areas). And hate crimes do exist. But, this is an issue where wording has to be careful because it's easy to think there are trends based on alarming videos, when the FBI stats are what really matter.

As for a huge rise on hate crimes against Asians, we really need to wait for 2020 stats (since I think that is where it often gets labeled as the worst). I don't think that Trump or the pandemic is the main cause, but they are probably subtle indicators for people who already have bias (when somebody already does not like Asians, it's plausible that a life changing virus being -in their mind- unleashed from China would be enough to push them over the edge). But, we really need to see the FBI data to see if the difference is tangible, or is just in line with the general violence increase.

I mean world events do have links to bias events, immediatley after 9/11 Muslims (or in some cases people wrongly perceived to be Muslims) were attacked more. When Isreal does something controversial, attacks on Jewish people sometimes go up, etc.... So its not completely out of line to suspect that world events influences local bias events.
March 23rd, 2022 at 6:40:18 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Good chance I’m wrong but I believe some of these attacks on Asians aren’t motivated by racial hatred but economic and physical assumptions about the race. Asians the wealthiest demographic, smaller stature on average than most races, I think they’re perceived to be less likely to be carrying a firearm than white/black/Latino. Basically think they’re often seen by criminals as being easier targets than a racial hatred thing in most cases.
Page 1 of 212>