1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

April 5th, 2022 at 9:45:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The rules are pretty simple -- is each quote from the Bible or Shakespeare? Bible quotes are from the King James version.

1. To thine own self be true.
  2. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…
  3. Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?
  4. Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we may die.
  5. Men of few words are the best men.
  6. … and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.
  7. Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing…
  8. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out
  9. Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
  10. Neither a borrower nor a lender be
  11. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine
  12. Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth
  13. All that glisters is not gold
  14. The better part of valor is discretion
  15. Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  16. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
  17. Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears
  18. A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 5th, 2022 at 10:00:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard
The rules are pretty simple -- is each quote from the Bible or Shakespeare? Bible quotes are from the King James version.

1. To thine own self be true.
  2. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…
  3. Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?
  4. Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we may die.
  5. Men of few words are the best men.
  6. … and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.
  7. Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing…
  8. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out
  9. Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
  10. Neither a borrower nor a lender be
  11. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine
  12. Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth
  13. All that glisters is not gold
  14. The better part of valor is discretion
  15. Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  16. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
  17. Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears
  18. A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.

I only put the ones I think are the Bible, so all the others are Shakes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 5th, 2022 at 10:15:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine

I only put the ones I think are the Bible, so all the others are Shakes.

Of your four, three were in the Bible.
April 6th, 2022 at 2:41:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
guesses largely

To thine own self be true...........................Bard, Hamlet
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…............. Bible
Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?...........................Bard
Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we may die............................Bard, but I think this goes back to the Romans
Men of few words are the best men...........................Bible
and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth............................Bard
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing...........................Bible, Proverbs
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out...........................Bible, Paul's Epistles
Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward...........................Bible
Neither a borrower nor a lender be...........................Bible
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...........................Bible
Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth...........................Bible
All that glisters is not gold.................................Bible [glistens?]
The better part of valor is discretion............................Bard
Lord, what fools these mortals be!............................Bard, Puck in A midsummer night's dream
For what is your life? [snip]... and then vanisheth away............................Bible, Paul's Epistles
Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears............................Bible
A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts............................Bible.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 6th, 2022 at 2:51:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I am pretty sure Shakespeare seldom used 'thee, thy, thou' and all that, though I could be wrong. In the age of focus on pronouns, I have to remark that these "early English second person singular pronouns" used to really bother me when I was a kid and the preacher used them to address God in prayer. I felt that it was very stiff and formal and that God would not insist on that. Turns out what I didn't understand was in those early times 'thee, thou' etc was in fact the very personal, intimate pronouns you would have used in those days to address a very close friend or relative, instead of 'you' etc. In other words, it was the complete opposite of what I thought it was. 
April 6th, 2022 at 3:09:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

All Shakespeare except
"Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…"
"Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth"
"A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts."

The one quote that was not listed is
King Lear, Act 3, Scene 4.

To odiousgambit: In Spanish one word for English "you" is "usted" which comes from "vuestra merced" (literally "your mercy" or "your grace" ), The other word is "tú" which is informal or familiar "you".

Spanish speakers hate the English word "do", the third most common English verb after "to be" and "to have".

An early meaning of the verb 'do', from the 1300's was to "prosper" or "thrive".

1563-87, recorded the first-known citation of a version of 'how do you' as an inquiry after someone's health:
"How do you" means "How prosper you?" and is clearly the exact 1500s equivalent of our present day 'how are you?'. It was specifically asking after someone's health and a reply in kind would have been expected.

The change in usage from a query about health to a greeting was gradual. Samuel Richardson's novel Pamela Or Virtue Rewarded, 1740 is an early example of a greeting:O my good old Acquaintances, said I, I joy to see you ? How do you do Rachel? How do you all do?

It was some time later, not until the late 1700s in fact, that 'how do you do' began to be widely used as a general greeting.
April 6th, 2022 at 10:50:02 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
As a former Catholic til age 15 and an atheist thereafter I am wholly unfamiliar with the King James bible and will sit this one out.

Good quiz though for those with a foot planted in both worlds (the sacred and the profane).
April 6th, 2022 at 6:57:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
guesses largely

To thine own self be true...........................Bard, Hamlet
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…............. Bible
Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?...........................Bard
Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we may die............................Bard, but I think this goes back to the Romans
Men of few words are the best men...........................Bible
and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth............................Bard
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing...........................Bible, Proverbs
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out...........................Bible, Paul's Epistles
Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward...........................Bible
Neither a borrower nor a lender be...........................Bible
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...........................Bible
Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth...........................Bible
All that glisters is not gold.................................Bible [glistens?]
The better part of valor is discretion............................Bard
Lord, what fools these mortals be!............................Bard, Puck in A midsummer night's dream
For what is your life? [snip]... and then vanisheth away............................Bible, Paul's Epistles
Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears............................Bible
A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts............................Bible.

By my count, you missed four.

To thine own self be true...........................Bard, Hamlet YES
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…............. Bible YES
Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?...........................Bard YES
Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we may die............................Bard, but I think this goes back to the Romans NO
Men of few words are the best men...........................Bible NO
and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth............................Bard NO
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing...........................Bible, Proverbs YES
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out...........................Bible, Paul's Epistles YES, the book of Timothy to be specific
Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward...........................Bible YES
Neither a borrower nor a lender be...........................Bible NO
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...........................Bible YES
Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth...........................Bible YES
All that glisters is not gold.................................Bible [glistens?] NO
The better part of valor is discretion............................Bard YES
Lord, what fools these mortals be!............................Bard, Puck in A midsummer night's dream YES -- CORRECT BOOK TOO.
For what is your life? [snip]... and then vanisheth away............................Bible, Paul's Epistles YES, book of James
Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears............................Bible YES
A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts............................Bible. YES
April 6th, 2022 at 7:00:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

All Shakespeare except
"Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength…"
"Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth"
"A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts."

There are many other from the bible other than the three you list. I added your King Lear quote to my list. It will probably be my April 14 newsletter.
April 7th, 2022 at 3:43:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
'glisters' is correct in the original, as it turns out
Page 1 of 212>