Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscrolled
Fare you well. Your suit is cold
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 7th, 2022 at 8:37:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
There are many other from the bible other than the three you list. I added your King Lear quote to my list. It will probably be my April 14 newsletter.

One of Shakespeare's brilliant pieces of writing is to often give a lofty quote to an obsequious litte suck up of a character. Polonius gives this profound advice to his son, Laertes, on his way to college, and immediately arranges to have his son set up by some pre-arranged temptation to see if he succumbs. The fact that so many people think the quote is from the Bible must have Shakespeare chortling in his grave.
April 7th, 2022 at 5:07:14 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm always bothered that the advice seems to be good, but Polonious, as you point out, is otherwise a scheming lout
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 7th, 2022 at 6:12:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Polonius makes several bits of advice, but the most famous are thought to be from the bible by many people.
“Neither a borrower or a lender be” & “This above all: to thine own self be true”

One of my favorite lines from that Act is:
O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain! That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain;
April 7th, 2022 at 7:32:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
The rules are pretty simple -- is each quote from the Bible or Shakespeare? Bible quotes are from the King James version.
i

This is a trick, these are all obviously said by Mark Twain. Or Yogi Berra..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2022 at 9:42:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
This is a trick, these are all obviously said by Mark Twain.

A few of the 19th century writers were so good at quoting Shakespeare that today some people associate the phrases with them. Arthur Conan Doyle is a good example.

The game's afoot: Follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
April 7th, 2022 at 9:55:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

A few of the 19th century writers were so good at quoting Shakespeare that today some people associate the phrases with them. Arthur Conan Doyle is a good example.

I was reading that Shakespeare is responsible for adding 2,000 permanent words to the English language. But the pilgrims, of all people, are responsible for adding 10,000 words to the English language. At least according to Bill Bryson in his book Made in America.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2022 at 4:10:23 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
But the pilgrims, of all people, are responsible for adding 10,000 words to the English language. At least according to Bill Bryson in his book Made in America.

Must be swear words. Only 47 males and 5 females, survived the first winter.

Most of them are buried on Coles Hill, overlooking the harbor.

There's a 200 year old linden tree on top of that hill. A woman planted it in 1804 to celebrate her engagement. When her intended broke it off, she pulled the sapling out of the ground. A man found it, dug a hole with his heel and re-planted it.
April 8th, 2022 at 5:50:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I was reading that Shakespeare is responsible for adding 2,000 permanent words to the English language.

The individual words were an accomplishment. For example the verb "accuse" existed for hundreds of years, but Shakespeare invented the noun, the "accused" to represent the object of the verb.

But Shakespeare invented thousands of phrases that are part of the language today such as "the game's afoot" and "household words".

Strictly phrases from Hamlet -"in my mind's eye", "sweets to the sweet", "not a creature stirring","goodnight sweet prince", "murder most foul", "the lady doth protest too much, methinks ", "to be or not to be", "perchance to dream", "the primrose path", "worm's meat", "hoist with his own petard", "witching time of night", etc.
Page 2 of 2<12