Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

Page 70 of 72« First<676869707172>
February 12th, 2023 at 12:43:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Republicans being tough on crime.

Quote:
Republicans clash with prosecutors over enforcement of abortion bans

“The individual exercise of discretion is the foundation of our legal system. This is a huge overreach by the legislatures,” warned David LaBahn, president and CEO of the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys. “When we’re looking at a series of cases — and this is not hypothetical, it’s very real, because we’re dealing with backlogs in so many places right now — should they investigate a phone call from someone saying they think someone had an abortion, versus a documented homicide or case of child abuse? If you have limited resources — should you pour everything into the first one? Of course not! That’s why you have discretion”.

In Texas, one of several bills lawmakers are pushing would allow the state attorney general or a private individual to ask a court to remove a district attorney who fails to prosecute abortion-related offenses and other “crimes of violence.” They also plan to introduce a bill to allow any resident to bring civil claims against anyone suspected of “aiding and abetting” an abortion.

In Georgia, legislators want to create a prosecutorial oversight commission that could discipline or remove local prosecutors who demonstrate a “willful and persistent failure to perform his or her duties.”

A bill introduced in the South Carolina House would give the state attorney general the power to prosecute abortion cases — something currently under the purview of local district attorneys.

And in Indiana, proposed legislation would allow a legislatively appointed special prosecutor to enforce laws when a local prosecutor declines to do so.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 9th, 2023 at 6:47:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Some interesting lawsuits based on religious differences in belief.

Quote:

But the Hoosier Jews for Choice case squarely presents the issue of whether the religious freedom of dissenting religionists was being burdened in violation of Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act. The plaintiffs urge that the belief that life begins at conception, shared by Christian anti-abortion advocates, “is not a theological opinion shared by all religions or all religious persons.” Three of the five women plaintiffs in the lawsuit are Jewish.

One is Muslim, and the other woman describes herself as having nontheistic spiritual beliefs. Each plaintiff claims that her own faith is compromised by the near-total ban.

Their brief explained that under Jewish law, broadly speaking, a fetus is only deemed a fully autonomous living person at birth, when they take their first breath. Islam does not believe in fetal ensoulment at conception, and some Muslim scholars argue the fetus “does not possess a soul until 120 days after conception.”

more here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/when-it-comes-to-abortion-only-one-religion-s-beliefs-count-in-america/ar-AA18qhf2?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a92df9f92564444990784f6276c85b54&ei=16
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 9th, 2023 at 7:17:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine

A lot of merit to these cases
Unfortunately the Supreme Court majority are Christian warriors that pretty much ignore all other religions. It sucks. They also ignore atheists. They only look out for Christians. They are essentially for Christian domination and have never been for freedom of religion
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 21st, 2023 at 4:03:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
For months, Ohio Republicans have been pushing to make it more difficult for voters to approve constitutional amendments — the next front in the state-led battle over abortion rights after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

The August election comes at a pivotal moment – ahead of a separate November vote on a measure that would write abortion protections into the state's constitution.

A CBS News investigation found the GOP effort in Ohio is one flank in a coordinated nationwide campaign, heavily funded by Republican megadonor Richard Uihlein, to raise the threshold to pass any citizen-initiated constitutional amendment.

So, since abortion almost always has a greater approval rate above 50%, Republicans are moving to make legislative changes in different states needing 60% to change antiabortion legislation that is passed so they can keep those laws in place.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-abortion-republican-ballot-measure-amend-state-constitution/
June 21st, 2023 at 4:41:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
So, since abortion almost always has a greater approval rate above 50%, Republicans are moving to make legislative changes in different states needing 60% to change antiabortion legislation that is passed so they can keep those laws in place.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-abortion-republican-ballot-measure-amend-state-constitution/

Republicans are anti-democracy. We’ve known this.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 21st, 2023 at 4:48:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/justice-alito-pushes-back-report-detailing-travel-trip/story?id=100272784
This really bothers me that these justices are accepting luxury trips.
My view is that they are govt employees and should be subjected to the same rules as any govt employee
Don't like the rules, go into private practice or work for a private company.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 21st, 2023 at 5:22:25 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: terapined
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/justice-alito-pushes-back-report-detailing-travel-trip/story?id=100272784
This really bothers me that these justices are accepting luxury trips.
My view is that they are govt employees and should be subjected to the same rules as any govt employee
Don't like the rules, go into private practice or work for a private company.

Justice Alito ran to the WSJ opinion page to preempt the article.

Just like he leaked the Dobbs decision to them (remember the opinion page seemed to know about it before it even leaked!)
August 8th, 2023 at 7:52:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Waiting to see which way Ohio goes today on Republican driven move to make supermajority necessary to change state constitution.
August 8th, 2023 at 8:34:28 AM permalink
ams288
Waiting to see which way Ohio goes today on Republican driven move to make supermajority necessary to change state constitution.

My parents live in Ohio (part time). I saw lots of these signs when I last visited:

August 8th, 2023 at 8:59:03 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Thank you. I was not familiar with it until I just read up on it. Being from Ohio I feel like have have a somewhat vested interest in it even though I really don't.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 70 of 72« First<676869707172>