Armed Self Defense

Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »
July 12th, 2022 at 8:35:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Nice deflection don't talk about the reason of my post, the shaped reporting. You do actually admit though that anything the left doesn't read is not important in your eyes. Good way to keep from finding out what is really happening in the world. To answer your question no I don't subscribe to anything.

That's why I don't watch or read foxnews
Shaped reporting
It's on both sides But you give a pass to the right and only attack the left
Foxnews is the definition of shaped reporting
All reporting has been shaped from the dawn of time
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 12th, 2022 at 9:16:33 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Luckily the Public is on the Bodega's side and no one is showing any sympathy for the Young Thug who got killed. This makes me happy. The Young Thug had absolutely no business going behind the Clerk's counter and violently attacking him. Kind of reminds me of an older man violently beating up a young female worker just because she forgot to add ketchup to his order. She kicked his ass back good and the YouTube Community was on her side. An insightful comment even said something like,"She's completely in the right to beat his ass right back . Just because you are in service doesn't mean you have to stand there and let your Customers beat you up. You need to kick their asses back because just standing there allowing your Customer to beat you up could land with you dead. You need to fight back as if your life depends on it in this situation because it does."
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
July 12th, 2022 at 12:24:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
That's why I don't watch or read foxnews
Shaped reporting
It's on both sides But you give a pass to the right and only attack the left
Foxnews is the definition of shaped reporting
All reporting has been shaped from the dawn of time

You are almost there TP take the last step. You admit all news is shaped. From this assumption you can never get the real story from any one source. You need to read/watch source on both sides to see what each side isn't reporting. Make your decision then. As you have consistently said you accept a single source as the truth.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 12th, 2022 at 12:55:30 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
You are almost there TP take the last step. You admit all news is shaped. From this assumption you can never get the real story from any one source. You need to read/watch source on both sides to see what each side isn't reporting. Make your decision then. As you have consistently said you accept a single source as the truth.

Sure
Writers are humans
But
I do read both sides and rightwing news is far more biased
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 16th, 2022 at 6:58:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I heard an argument on the NYC Bodega case that does show how self-defense can turn out to be complicated.

Being pushed or pulled in and of itself is not considered enough of a threat to use deadly force. You can use comparable force. There was no raised fist. No word the guy had already said he was about the beat the guy's ass.

More details mauy come out eventually, that may change that.

Same lawyer that gave that opinion also believes there is zero chance the Bodega worker is convicted.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2022 at 8:16:38 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Not complicated at all in this case.

That lawyer doesn't have clue what he is talking about.

There is no mention of 'comparable force' in NYS Penal Law.

It is not required to prevent serious physical injury or death.

Raised fist and verbal threats are also not mentioned in NYS Penal Law.

Not required to justify using DPF to defend from serious injury or death.

The dirtbag, physically assaulted and injured the older man, then tried to prevent his escape.

In NYS, a preson is authorized to use DPF when they reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent serious injury or death.
July 16th, 2022 at 8:41:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Tanko
Not complicated at all in this case.

That lawyer doesn't have clue what he is talking about.

There is no mention of 'comparable force' in NYS Penal Law.

It is not required to prevent serious physical injury or death.

Raised fist and verbal threats are also not mentioned in NYS Penal Law.

Not required to justify using DPF to defend from serious injury or death.

The dirtbag, physically assaulted and injured the older man, then tried to prevent his escape.

In NYS, a preson is authorized to use DPF when they reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent serious injury or death.

You still have to prove it was reasonable at that point. Lots of people are grabbed or pushed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2022 at 8:45:49 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
You still have to prove it was reasonable at that point. Lots of people are grabbed or pushed.

2 sides to every story
Let the courts sort it out
July 16th, 2022 at 8:50:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I would definitely come down on the side of someone who defended himself with deadly force against an unarmed but abusive perp in some cases, but can imagine others where I'd have no sympathy at all. In this particular case I tend to sympathize with the general public without, however, knowing enough about it.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 16th, 2022 at 9:03:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
I would definitely come down on the side of someone who defended himself with deadly force against an unarmed but abusive perp in some cases, but can imagine others where I'd have no sympathy at all. In this particular case I tend to sympathize with the general public without, however, knowing enough about it.

I agree with anyone who thinks something bad was about to happen, but that's still different than actual evidence.

I need to see some other cases where the only thing you know is someone was angry with someone, pushed him down, and then dragged him up. And as far as we know was asking for an apology beforehand.

I pulled some self-defense cases from an article. From all over not from just NYC Don't see anything similar.

April 1, St. Paul: A man fatally shot his daughter’s ex-boyfriend after he kicked in the family’s front door in the middle of the night and threatened her, police said. The former boyfriend had a long history of domestic violence, including three prior convictions for domestic assault dating to 2006. He was facing additional domestic violence charges—all related to alleged physical assaults against the man and his daughter—and had active warrants out for his arrest.
April 5, Somerset, Kentucky: A man was assaulting his girlfriend inside their home when a juvenile came to the woman’s defense, retrieved a handgun, and fatally shot her assailant, local officials said.
April 7, Brownsboro, Texas: A would-be burglar who broke into a house by smashing through glass in the front door found himself face-to-face with the homeowner, who—armed with an AR-15—held him at gunpoint until police arrived. The burglar was arrested, but police said they were unable to locate a second, female suspect believed to be his accomplice.
April 8, Melbourne, Florida: A man sitting in his truck outside a friend’s house was confronted by an acquaintance who, angry about an earlier argument, opened fire on him, police said. The man grabbed his own handgun and shot back. When the handgun jammed, the man—still under fire—grabbed an AR-15 from his backseat. During the ensuing shootout, he got out of the truck to use it as cover. He eventually retrieved a second AR-15 from his trunk and maintained his defensive fire until his assailant ran away. Police were able to find, arrest, and charge the man with several felonies. No one was injured during the shootout, police said.
April 11, Las Vegas: A teenager was arguing with someone on a residential street when a neighbor, who was walking his dog, tried to intervene, police said. The teenager pointed a gun at the man and threatened him, but he was legally carrying his own gun and fatally shot the teen. Police said the man acted in lawful self-defense, wasn’t arrested, and won’t face charges.
April 14, Charleston, South Carolina: A man called police to say that another driver had shot at him, but his story quickly fell apart when other witnesses reported that he was, in fact, the aggressor in a violent road rage incident. Officers arrested the man, who is accused of tailgating a female driver, throwing a soda can at her car, and then threatening her with a gun before firing several rounds at her. She grabbed her own gun from the glovebox and shot back in self-defense, police said.
April 17, Philadelphia: Two armed men with fake badges impersonated police officers, forced their way inside a home, and attempted to zip-tie a resident’s hands, police said. The resident quickly realized that the men were not real cops, drew his own gun, and fatally shot one of them. The second intruder, who fled, was not immediately captured. The resident encouraged fellow Philadelphians who can legally own guns to buy one to protect themselves from violent crime.
April 21, Brentwood, Tennessee: When a woman’s estranged husband violated a protection order and showed up at her apartment without permission, she called her father and brother for help, police said. When they arrived, the husband lunged at them, so the brother shot him three times, wounding him. Police said the husband would be charged with stalking and violating a protection order when he is released from a hospital.
April 25, Cleveland: A man held a store employee at gunpoint and grabbed cash from an open register, police said. As he turned around to flee, another employee tried to follow him out, so he shot at her. This employee, however, was armed. She returned fire, striking the robber in the leg. Responding officers couldn’t find the injured robber, but recovered his abandoned backpack with the gun still inside.
April 27, Princeton, West Virginia: A homeowner discovered a man breaking into his vehicle in the middle of the night, then held him at gunpoint until police arrived. Responding officers found several items in the man’s possession that had been stolen from area residents, including the backpack in which the man had placed the other items.
April 29, Miami: An employee at a demolition and trash hauling company confronted a man who was trying to steal a catalytic converter from a car in the company lot, police said. Instead of fleeing, the would-be thief ran at the employee while wielding a saw, so the employee drew his firearm and shot him. The wounded thief dropped the catalytic converter and fled, but police later found him and his stolen getaway car.
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »