World Cup

Page 2 of 2<12
November 29th, 2022 at 4:57:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
This is a big advantage of actually going to the game!

I agree, sadly you can only go to one or two games a day. TV allows me to watch and record about 10-15 college games a week. I would watch more if I could.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 30th, 2022 at 4:09:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I read that US Equities volume was down 43% while the USA-Iran match was going.

Too bad they could not cut to The Iron Sheik for commentary.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2022 at 6:02:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Sadly, I don't understand soccer. I occasionally try but since I didn't grow up with it I really don't know how it works. I need to watch some shows or series on soccer. I want to know why they are playing certain defenses at different times and how they draw up offensive plays. Basically, I need a beginner course on how to coach soccer so that I can start to understand it.

Too me its such a simple and fluid game that I personally don't see a lot of coaching strategy on display.
It's really nice to see a game without so much involvement from coaches.
I think traditional USA sports are way way way over coached.
Take baseball.
Players no longer call the pitches
All pitches are called by the manager starting at the JV level
The reasoning is to get them used to it because that's how baseball in the USA is played at all levels. Players are no longer participating in strategic decisions.
Used to be QB's called the plays.
Johnny Unitas was brilliant at calling plays. If the defence thought run, Johnny passed. If they thought pass, Johnny called a running play.
Coaches now call all plays.
Basketball. All the damm time outs at the end of a game where the last minute takes 10 minutes because of excessive coaching.
It's nice to watch Soccer and the beautiful fluidity of ball and player movement generating opportunities to score without coaches involvement and no stoppage of play.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 1st, 2022 at 8:42:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Too me its such a simple and fluid game that I personally don't see a lot of coaching strategy on display.
It's really nice to see a game without so much involvement from coaches.
I think traditional USA sports are way way way over coached.
Take baseball.
Players no longer call the pitches
All pitches are called by the manager starting at the JV level
The reasoning is to get them used to it because that's how baseball in the USA is played at all levels. Players are no longer participating in strategic decisions.
Used to be QB's called the plays.
Johnny Unitas was brilliant at calling plays. If the defence thought run, Johnny passed. If they thought pass, Johnny called a running play.
Coaches now call all plays.
Basketball. All the damm time outs at the end of a game where the last minute takes 10 minutes because of excessive coaching.
It's nice to watch Soccer and the beautiful fluidity of ball and player movement generating opportunities to score without coaches involvement and no stoppage of play.

Come on terapined!

Managers do NOT call the pitches!

QBs do not call most plays, but they do change them (it’s called an audible) frequently.

Agree on basketball!

But because YOU don’t understand soccer coaching doesn’t mean it is not there! The defense forming their ‘line’ to cause an offsides is a huge coaching move. Think of the phrase ‘high line’ that the announcers use. The decision to attack from the wings versus up the middle is another coaching decision. If you enjoy it more by thinking there is no coaching involvement, then good for you!

If soccer could figure out a way to get rid of the players flailing around like fish out of water after the tiniest contact it would make the games more watchable.
December 1st, 2022 at 9:28:20 PM permalink
terapined
Come on terapined!

Managers do NOT call the pitches!

Yes they do
Talk to any high school or college coach.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 2nd, 2022 at 4:42:23 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
Yes they do
Talk to any high school or college coach.

I guess I have no idea what happens at the JV level. My experience is from watching MLB. The catcher calls for a pitch, with the pitcher occasionally waving it off asking for a different pitch. I’m not saying a manager can never signal for a specific pitch, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Spoke to friend, late 30’s, who played high school baseball and has knowledge of college baseball. Said coaches never called pitches in high school, and didn’t 15-20 years ago in college.
He said there are ‘some’ schools now that the coaches are involved in calling the pitches.
December 2nd, 2022 at 5:00:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Back to World Cup. Canada goalie has easy clear in first few minutes. Just hit the ball as far as you can down the field. He tries silly short pass to a player not even looking at him….. you know the rest of the story. Second goal he let in was weak as well. So I googled him to see where he played his club soccer. But when I tried ‘Barjon’ goalie or some such it gave me a lot of choices to look at his wife! She is SMOKING hot! He is as plain as day.
Third class goalies get girls like that?
December 2nd, 2022 at 5:09:52 AM permalink
terapined
I guess I have no idea what happens at the JV level. My experience is from watching MLB. The catcher calls for a pitch, with the pitcher occasionally waving it off asking for a different pitch. I’m not saying a manager can never signal for a specific pitch, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Spoke to friend, late 30’s, who played high school baseball and has knowledge of college baseball. Said coaches never called pitches in high school, and didn’t 15-20 years ago in college.
He said there are ‘some’ schools now that the coaches are involved in calling the pitches.

These days in organized baseball
Kids never call the pitches till they become elite adult pitchers which only a tiny few achieve
That's the way it is
I was actually shocked by this
I met a JV coach at the Cardinals game in STL
He confirmed that coaches at that level call all the pitches. Got to get them used to it because at the varsity and college level, all coaches call the pitches.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/sports/baseball/college-baseball-catchers.html

"All eight teams at the College World Series call pitches from the bench, which for decades has been an accepted practice across the N.C.A.A. That differs from Major League Baseball, where catchers call the games with minimal dugout input."
December 2nd, 2022 at 5:12:00 AM permalink
terapined
Japan has been the darling of the World cup for me. They best powerhouse Germany and Spain
Amazing
Go Japan
Page 2 of 2<12