State of the Economy

Page 3 of 3<123
March 17th, 2023 at 9:09:51 AM permalink
PotPie
Member since: Oct 9, 2022
Threads: 5
Posts: 309
Please see my OP which has been edited to be correct.
Mission quoted me before I had edited so that the info was accurate.
What he quoted of mine is not accurate.
.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
March 17th, 2023 at 9:16:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 187
Posts: 18445
Quote: Mission146
Are we addressing those two particular words in the post because everything else was objectively correct?


Well, you could be learning skills for a different profession, in training or classes or watching the kids while your spouse does, or getting your parent settled into a care facility, or helping your dad finally get the barn built, etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 17th, 2023 at 9:22:08 AM permalink
PotPie
Member since: Oct 9, 2022
Threads: 5
Posts: 309
Also, there have consistently been large increases in the U.S. population which means more workers paying taxes to support those who don't work.

In the year 2000 the U.S. population was 282,398,554.

The current population is 339,966,563.

That's about 58 million more people.

If the workplace participation rate is 60% as Kenarman stated that means that about 35 million more people are now working and paying taxes than in 2000.


https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/population-growth-rate#:~:text=The%20current%20population%20of%20U.S.,a%200.31%25%20increase%20from%202020.


.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
March 17th, 2023 at 9:23:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 22
Posts: 4137
Quote: rxwine
Well, you could be learning skills for a different profession, in training or classes or watching the kids while your spouse does, or getting your parent settled into a care facility, or helping your dad finally get the barn built, etc.,


I take your point, but the fundamental topic that the post was exploring was Labor Force Participation Rate, so what people are doing other than participating in the Labor Force is irrelevant to the numbers on both sides.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 17th, 2023 at 9:56:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 187
Posts: 18445
Quote: Mission146
I take your point, but the fundamental topic that the post was exploring was Labor Force Participation Rate, so what people are doing other than participating in the Labor Force is irrelevant to the numbers on both sides.


There was a suggestion that the implication that people no longer felt like working. Had that been left out, I wouldn't have addressed it How many times have you also heard something akin to, "I got tired of sitting home doing nothing", which might be considered a positive effect. Someone finds out what they thought they wanted is not what they really wanted, at home with the wife nagging and the kids, etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 17th, 2023 at 10:22:21 AM permalink
Tanko
Member since: Aug 15, 2019
Threads: 0
Posts: 1932
I saw that this morning. Just when they're supposed to be reducing inflation, the the Fed increases its balance sheet $300 billion in one week. After Biden said the bailout would not be at the expense of taxpayers.

This is a roll back of two months of weekly $45 billion decreases in the Fed balance sheet.

How is that good for inflation? It fuels inflation.
March 17th, 2023 at 11:15:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 14
Posts: 4436
Quote: rxwine
Just curious, but how does what you "feel like" pay bills? I think lots of people would feel like being independently wealthy at 20 years old given the chance. I doubt if the idea made much difference as to whether they still had to work.


Everybody in Canada and the US can not work if they don't feel like it. It all depends on what they consider an acceptable life style and how good they are at all the ways to scam illegally and under the table. I have mentioned before but I have had several 20 somethings tell me on the jobsite with exactly the same wording "I am not really into the work thing". This must be a common discussion among them.

The population is aging but older and elderly are working longer. "Labour force participation rate among Canadians 65-69 has doubled in last decade". Given that that the number of people in that demographic is also increasing the number of those working would have more than doubled.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 17th, 2023 at 11:39:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 187
Posts: 18445
Quote: kenarman
Everybody in Canada and the US can not work if they don't feel like it. It all depends on what they consider an acceptable life style and how good they are at all the ways to scam illegally and under the table. I have mentioned before but I have had several 20 somethings tell me on the jobsite with exactly the same wording "I am not really into the work thing". This must be a common discussion among them.

The population is aging but older and elderly are working longer. "Labour force participation rate among Canadians 65-69 has doubled in last decade". Given that that the number of people in that demographic is also increasing the number of those working would have more than doubled.


Short of illegal prosecutable activities, i don't know of any way to make an acceptable living without working. That's of course, without some sort of asset fund pouring in. I don't think you can count having 8 dependent children and be on welfare as not working. Maybe you could live off alimony. But that's not on the government dime.

So, what level of living without working and no illegal activities can you do for even a modest income? AP counts as working. Collecting cans is working.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 17th, 2023 at 3:19:03 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 51
Posts: 4906
Quote: rxwine
Short of illegal prosecutable activities, i don't know of any way to make an acceptable living without working. That's of course, without some sort of asset fund pouring in. I don't think you can count having 8 dependent children and be on welfare as not working. Maybe you could live off alimony. But that's not on the government dime.

So, what level of living without working and no illegal activities can you do for even a modest income? AP counts as working. Collecting cans is working.


I think your standard for quality of life is too high. About 75% (okay, I am making up this number as I have no idea) of the world population lives at a level we would consider poverty. It can be done if you are willing to join the masses.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 17th, 2023 at 5:03:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 187
Posts: 18445
Quote: DRich
I think your standard for quality of life is too high. About 75% (okay, I am making up this number as I have no idea) of the world population lives at a level we would consider poverty. It can be done if you are willing to join the masses.


Well, I agree it is relative. Right now France is having riots over retirement age going from 62 to 64. I'm sure there's several poor nations wondering why we have protests over things that comparably would be laughable compared to their issues.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 3<123