The Trump Arrest thread

April 6th, 2023 at 10:12:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The entire reason Donny announced his 2024 candidacy so early was a desperate attempt to stave off indictments.

SOOPOO fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 6th, 2023 at 11:08:56 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
This is some stupid sh**.

Joe Biden has absolutely nothing to do with the prosecution of NY state crimes.

Probably not directly. But you don’t think that the party in power isn’t somehow involved? That it’s just an ‘independent thinking ’ prosecutor evaluating 7 year old evidence and deciding to prosecute now?
As for Biden, I’d guess he is like me. That he would not be in favor of this prosecution and would like Trump’s name in headlines as little as possible.

You don’t think the judges daughter working for Kamala and other decidedly anti -Trump organizations is enough reason to recuse himself? There are plenty of other judges who could fill in!
April 6th, 2023 at 11:45:53 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: SOOPOO
Probably not directly. But you don’t think that the party in power isn’t somehow involved? That it’s just an ‘independent thinking ’ prosecutor evaluating 7 year old evidence and deciding to prosecute now?

Kinda ignores the fact that Donny couldn’t be prosecuted from Jan 2017- Jan 2021.

Quote:
As for Biden, I’d guess he is like me. That he would not be in favor of this prosecution and would like Trump’s name in headlines as little as possible.

Uhhh, I’m pretty sure Biden wants Donny on the front page 24/7. Nothing helps out Dems like Donny being front and center.

Quote:
You don’t think the judges daughter working for Kamala and other decidedly anti -Trump organizations is enough reason to recuse himself? There are plenty of other judges who could fill in!

Absolutely not. If Clarence Thomas can hear cases while being married to his corrupt GOP wife, I see no problem here.
April 6th, 2023 at 3:37:19 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 97
^^^Great reply.

*golf clap*
April 6th, 2023 at 3:52:48 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Kinda ignores the fact that Donny couldn’t be prosecuted from Jan 2017- Jan 2021.

Ignores nothing! Are you implying that the State of New York just ignored Trump’s crimes for those 4 years, then mused about them for 2+ more years, then magically came to the conclusion a crime, I mean 34 crimes, had been committed? If I was the DA, and was aware of all of these crimes, I’d have been ready as soon as legally allowed to charge him.

It’s the DA’s right to go after Trump. If he can convince 12 of his peers that Trump is guilty then he will be guilty. Kinda just like the duly elected House Republicans, each elected by a majority of voters in their district, in more than 1/2 of the districts in our country, will be deciding if Bragg committed any offenses. I wonder what they will find?

Arresting your main opposition before an election. It’s what banana republics do.
April 6th, 2023 at 4:10:34 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: SOOPOO
It’s the DA’s right to go after Trump. If he can convince 12 of his peers that Trump is guilty then he will be guilty. Kinda just like the duly elected House Republicans, each elected by a majority of voters in their district, in more than 1/2 of the districts in our country, will be deciding if Bragg committed any offenses. I wonder what they will find?

Huh?

What power do you think the House of Representatives has over Bragg?
April 6th, 2023 at 4:12:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Political or not, as an attorney (now retired, thankfully) I focus on the legal aspects, not the political, and legally the case seems quite sound.

Not sure why the prior DA passed on charging.

Clearly Trump violated the law via falsifying business records, which standing alone is a misdemeanor.

The discussion in the media is whether the DA can elevate it to felonies by showing they were falsified in furtherance of fraud or criminal activity; the DA claims it was done with "intent to commit another crime and aid and conceal the commission thereof." That's a Class E felony — the lowest level of felony in the state of New York.

I believe he can connect the dots and win a conviction, but whether a jury will convict remains to be seen, as it would only take one MAGA juror to refuse to convict.

It seems to me that the DA can make the showing as Trump directed the payments be made in order to squelch the women's stories til after the election as he feared it would influence the election outcome.

Well duh, of course it would.

The alleged scheme to conceal the payments from the public "violated New York election law, which makes it a crime to conspire to promote a candidacy by unlawful means,” the DA said.

The "unlawful means" would be him falsifying the records, e.g. paying Cohen off after Cohen paid the hush money, and not properly reporting the payments for tax purposes; the scheme was Cohen sent Trump bogus monthly bills of $35K for a year or so, which Trump paid via his trust and also personally.

Trump presumably reported the expenses for tax purposes as valid, deductible legal expenses, when in fact they were non-deductible hush money payment reimbursements.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive."
April 6th, 2023 at 4:51:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's interesting watching some of the brilliant minds here stumble and bumble around trying to figure things out. Like with the covid vaccines, heard the latest about them? I'm not going to wise you up, why bother. Me and Duffman had that figured that out from the get-go but the brilliant minds here, not so much. LOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 6th, 2023 at 4:57:19 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
Like with the covid vaccines, heard the latest about them?

According to your hero Donny they are safe and effective.
April 6th, 2023 at 6:34:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: Evenbob
It's interesting watching some of the brilliant minds here stumble and bumble around trying to figure things out.

We find humor where we can.

Me, I laugh, chortle and guffaw at the MAGA bunch who steadfastly deny that Trump did anything wrong.

Trump wrote and signed personal checks for months to Cohen in the amount of $35K each having previously cemented a scheme with his fixer to hide the money trail: he failed, now we all can see the attempted subterfuge.

Query: did Trump himself or his trust (I believe both made payments) claim these payments as deductions on their / his taxes?

If so, that is a federal offense; if not, I think the mere falsification of records, i.e. falsely carrying it on the books as legal expenses, does not by itself rise to the level of a felony: more is needed, and the "more" is intentional violation of NY state law re: trying to falsely influence an election.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Trumpies, keep swilling it to toast your Fuhrer.

Heil Trump !