The Trump Arrest thread

April 6th, 2023 at 8:04:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
An opinion piece by a couple of New York Democrats in the Wall Street Journal of the destruction being caused by the current politics most recently the indictment of Trump. Quote is from the article.

"The routine violation of political norms worsened under the Trump and Biden administrations but began under President Obama. He personally upbraided the Supreme Court in his 2010 State of the Union address, falsely characterizing its holdings in the Citizens United case. His administration weaponized the Internal Revenue Service against grass-roots conservative groups and initiated the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s interference in the 2016 election."

Race to the bottom
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 6th, 2023 at 8:34:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
When did it start?

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson was attacked by ministers who accused him of being an "infidel" and an "unbeliever." A Federalist cartoon depicted him as a drunken anarchist, and the president of Yale warned that if Jefferson came to power, "we may see our wives and daughters the victims of legal prostitution." A Connecticut newspaper warned that his election would mean "murder, robbery, rape, adultery and incest will openly be taught and practiced" -- though the paper (now the Hartford Courant) did apologize some years later -- in 1993.

"You turned out to be a good influence on America," the editors wrote. Whoops! Never mind.

John Adams, the sitting president in 1800, also got hit with his share of slung mud. James Callender, a journalist in league with Jefferson, told the country that Adams was a rageful, lying, warmongering fellow, a "repulsive pedant" and "gross hypocrite" who behaved neither like a man nor like a woman but instead possessed a "hideous hermaphroditical character." There was also a nasty rumor that Adams had sent his veep to Europe to bring back four mistresses, two for each of them.

Note: there's a transgender reference all the way back then.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/good-ol-presidential-mudslinging-has-roots-as-deep-as-our-country/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 7th, 2023 at 5:33:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee

Me, I laugh, chortle and guffaw at the MAGA bunch who steadfastly deny that Trump did anything wrong.

Me, I just shake my head with disdain towards anyone that spends more than 30 seconds a month thinking about politics.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 7th, 2023 at 5:42:03 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Huh?

What power do you think the House of Representatives has over Bragg?

They call it ‘oversight’. If they believe he is interfering in an election they can investigate him. Something like that.
April 7th, 2023 at 5:59:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
They call it ‘oversight’. If they believe he is interfering in an election they can investigate him. Something like that.

Great.

Gym Jordan can investigate him and release a scathing report that no one will give a crap about.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 8th, 2023 at 4:00:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Judge Merchan has made (small) donations to Biden’s presidential campaign as well as the group aptly named Stop Republicans. He sounds impartial. NOT! BANANA REPUBLIC Justice!

When going after Trump, the left just does not care about ANYTHING other than going after Trump. Not even a hint of impartiality.

‘But Trump’s a bad man!’
April 8th, 2023 at 4:12:11 PM permalink
ams288
Judge Merchan has made (small) donations to Biden’s presidential campaign as well as the group aptly named Stop Republicans. He sounds impartial. NOT! BANANA REPUBLIC Justice!

When going after Trump, the left just does not care about ANYTHING other than going after Trump. Not even a hint of impartiality.

‘But Trump’s a bad man!’

You wanna start targeting judges based on their political leanings? I suspect that won’t work out well for the right’s long term political strategy… pretty soon un-impartial judges are all you guys will have left to accomplish your unpopular policy goals! (See: TX Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk)
April 8th, 2023 at 6:00:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
You wanna start targeting judges based on their political leanings? I suspect that won’t work out well for the right’s long term political strategy… pretty soon un-impartial judges are all you guys will have left to accomplish your unpopular policy goals! (See: TX Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk)

I’m not sure I like ‘rightie’ judges more than ‘leftie’ judges. I just think when Joe Biden is charged with some nonsense crime in the future that I don’t want a Trump donor judge on the bench.

Perhaps a dumb question…. Is it against any law for a SC Justice to in any way support a political candidate?
April 8th, 2023 at 6:22:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Also the female florida judge seemingly in the pocket of Trumpies in the document case.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2023 at 3:03:40 PM permalink
ams288
I’m not sure I like ‘rightie’ judges more than ‘leftie’ judges. I just think when Joe Biden is charged with some nonsense crime in the future that I don’t want a Trump donor judge on the bench.

Honestly I would have no problem with a Trumpie judge indicting Biden for some nonsense charge.

As that FL judge lady (that rxwine mentioned) proved, they’re not very good at their jobs and they just end up making fools of themselves. An appeals court will just slap them down.