The Trump Arrest thread

February 21st, 2024 at 5:36:10 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: OnceDear
It's the scale of the operation that seems wrong. limited edition of 1000 pairs at $400 a pair. He doesn't own the company selling them, and it's already obvious they are just dumped out from China. Even if he got 100% of the retail price, that's not even half a million dollars. He wouldn't get out of bed for so little.
This is not the real grift, somehow. More likely a publicity stunt for some other grift with a much richer payoff down the line. Or maybe just money laundering in plain sight.

The sneaker story got him attention. He dominates the news on most of the cable channels and a lot of the press. I think that he fully subscribes (and maybe has no choice left anyway) that any publicity is good publicity. I doubt he makes much money at all over the sneakers but for every person who mocks him, there is likely one pissed off that people mock him. If he gets any sympathy from those in the middle of the road unsure of which shitty choice is best, that is another vote he can get.

It may fail miserably, but he is committed to this path...
February 21st, 2024 at 10:00:28 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: RonC
The sneaker story got him attention. He dominates the news on most of the cable channels and a lot of the press. I think that he fully subscribes (and maybe has no choice left anyway) that any publicity is good publicity. I doubt he makes much money at all over the sneakers but for every person who mocks him, there is likely one pissed off that people mock him. If he gets any sympathy from those in the middle of the road unsure of which shitty choice is best, that is another vote he can get.

It may fail miserably, but he is committed to this path...

I read also that it helps propagate the opinion that everything is one big joke: That legal jeopardy, grifting, knockoff gear, nothing matters so long as he is at the centre of it.

As NYT had it...
"Like Mr. Trump’s tendency to turn every courtroom appearance into a form of entertainment that can be used as a campaign op, his effort to commoditize his legal jeopardy is a long-term strategic play. In reducing his indictments to a slogan on a consumer good, he is reducing their gravity.

It’s a form of insidious trivialization, the sort of tactic that plays perfectly in the landscape of late-stage capitalism in which everything is a product for sale. Oh, those old federal charges? They’re not serious; they’re a style choice. He’s transforming indictments into accessories, a language everyone speaks. The more product he sells, the more he makes a mockery of his situation. That’s where the real profit lies."
February 21st, 2024 at 5:58:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Trump fundraiser

$911,575 raised of $355,000,000 goal
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2024 at 7:42:57 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
MTG wants to see Judge Engoron’s dick, apparently.

Disrobe!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 22nd, 2024 at 8:32:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Based on the Hunter display, no question she means nudity.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2024 at 1:36:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Trump just lost another lawsuit, he himself filed in the UK.. Didn't say how much, but 6 figures.

Also, Trumpo gofundme now at:

$1,332,776 raised of $355,000,000 goal

Kind of feel like I'm doing a Jerry Lewis telethon. Let's look at the tote board!
March 7th, 2024 at 1:55:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Trump just lost another lawsuit, he himself filed in the UK.. Didn't say how much, but 6 figures.

Also, Trumpo gofundme now at:

$1,332,776 raised of $355,000,000 goal

Kind of feel like I'm doing a Jerry Lewis telethon. Let's look at the tote board!

$382,000

Quote:
Donald Trump is on the hook for legal fees after yet another loss in court, with a British judge ruling he must pony up $382,000 for his failed lawsuit over the so-called Steele dossier from 2016.

Couldn’t even prove the pee tape wasn’t real. Sad!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 13th, 2024 at 7:50:28 AM permalink
RonC
Judge tosses some charges in Georgia case because the indictments were not sufficient. They can be refiled.

This prosecution team does not seem to be the best. Filing an indictment with the necessary information seems like it should be routine work.
March 13th, 2024 at 8:02:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC
Judge tosses some charges in Georgia case because the indictments were not sufficient. They can be refiled.

This prosecution team does not seem to be the best. Filing an indictment with the necessary information seems like it should be routine work.

It could just be that when there are millions of charges it is hard to get them all correct.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 13th, 2024 at 8:23:10 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: DRich
It could just be that when there are millions of charges it is hard to get them all correct.

I guess that could be it.

Perhaps it was undo haste to file and make it into the news cycle.

Perhaps it was the time spent doing things other than working on the prosecution.

Perhaps it was too complicated of a case for someone of the experience level available in the office.

Perhaps the Biden team told them to hurry up and file.

Could be lots of things.

I prefer to just call it shoddy work product that will delay the trial further.