The Trump Arrest thread

March 26th, 2024 at 7:03:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
In a bizarre twist, DJT is apparently worth a BILLION or so more after the decreased bond requirement. Something about the value of his truth antisocial site. I am hoping he at least says thank you to Letitia James for helping grow his brand and net wealth.

(Paper gains for now; he is precluded from selling any of the stock for 6 months). I think it will be under the ticker DJT once IPO’d?
March 26th, 2024 at 7:05:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Heh, does the below mean, his appeal bond could have been as high as 600 million? Also, just saying they can take his properties, not so fast. It is tied up with other people/banks, apparently. If Trump has to pay all the costs of sorting that mess out that's one thing. But if the government does, that just adds to the expense in time and money. I don't know the answer to this last part.

Quote:

When a party receives an adverse money judgment and there are grounds for appeal, one of the first major considerations is how to stay enforcement of the judgment pending appeal. This is such a significant issue that for some, the ability, or perhaps inability, to stay enforcement will determine whether they can pursue the appeal.

Appeal bonds provided by surety insurance companies are the most common form of security used in almost all state and federal courts, yet how they are underwritten and the terms under which they are provided are unclear to many appellate practitioners. This article guides appellate practitioners through the fundamentals of appeal bonds, so they can help their clients protect their assets and ultimately pursue their right to appeal.

What exactly are appeal bonds?
Before getting into the details of how to obtain an appeal bond, it helps to understand what exactly they are and the guarantee they provide. Put simply, the purpose of an appeal bond is to maintain the status quo during appeal whereby the surety insurer issues a guarantee, on behalf of the appellant, to the appellee that, if the judgment is affirmed, the surety will pay the appellee if the appellant is unable to do so. In most jurisdictions, the bond not only covers the underlying judgment, but also costs and interest during the appeal up to a capped amount, typically between 1.2 and 1.5 times the judgment amount.

When you consider that most appeals do not result in a reversal of the lower court’s judgment, this creates a high likelihood that the surety providing the appeal bond will receive a claim. Factoring in that the premium rates for appeal bonds average around 1%, one claim could wipe out the premium earned on hundreds or potentially thousands of other bonds. As a friend of mine likes to say, this is bad math for anyone looking for a return on their investment.

How are appeal bonds underwritten?
Due to the high risk and probability of a claim, collateral in the full amount of the bond is typically required. There are exceptions to this general rule, and to consider providing a bond without collateral, surety insurers review the company or individual’s financial statements to determine if the financial strength is significantly greater than the bond required. If the surety is comfortable that the appellant has the resources to easily pay the judgment (not just today, but several years from now when the appeal concludes), the surety will likely provide the bond with just the appellant’s indemnity. Often this is limited to publicly traded companies, insurers, large private corporations, and very high net worth individuals.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/judicial/publications/appellate_issues/2019/summer/staying-judgment-with-appeal-bonds/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2024 at 5:53:14 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
In a bizarre twist, DJT is apparently worth a BILLION or so more after the decreased bond requirement. Something about the value of his truth antisocial site. I am hoping he at least says thank you to Letitia James for helping grow his brand and net wealth.

(Paper gains for now; he is precluded from selling any of the stock for 6 months). I think it will be under the ticker DJT once IPO’d?

I have read his share is close to 2 - 3 billions dollars at the current stock price. I believe he won't be able to sell any during the lockup period which usually lasts at least six months. if he loses the election I would expect the stock price to drop from $57 to around $2. I also think it will drop quite a bit in the short term.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 27th, 2024 at 5:49:17 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
I have read his share is close to 2 - 3 billions dollars at the current stock price. I believe he won't be able to sell any during the lockup period which usually lasts at least six months. if he loses the election I would expect the stock price to drop from $57 to around $2. I also think it will drop quite a bit in the short term.

Truth Social's valuation is the ultimate fugazi.
March 27th, 2024 at 3:48:24 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: GenoDRPh
Truth Social's valuation is the ultimate fugazi.

Agree. And disagree. If someone is willing to pay $$ for something, and I own it, then it’s worth $$. Because I can sell it for the $$.

It is spectacular that likely AS A DIRECT RESULT of all the Democrat led lawsuits against Trump he is worth a FEW BILLION M O R E than he was before the charges started piling up. Only in America…..
March 27th, 2024 at 4:35:07 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Agree. And disagree. If someone is willing to pay $$ for something, and I own it, then it’s worth $$. Because I can sell it for the $$.

It is spectacular that likely AS A DIRECT RESULT of all the Democrat led lawsuits against Trump he is worth a FEW BILLION M O R E than he was before the charges started piling up. Only in America…..

What will it be worth in six months, after all the quarterly reports of declining registered users and declining revenues?
March 27th, 2024 at 4:37:17 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

You’re saying he wouldn’t have done the exact same scheme if he wasn’t facing the lawsuits?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2024 at 4:40:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Ex-Trump lawyer John Eastman will likely be disbarred. Judge recommends, but still has to be approved by Court in California.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2024 at 4:46:58 PM permalink
rxwine
I liked the line I heard. "Trump does get all the best people, but they all quit", and then he gets the worse people.
March 27th, 2024 at 6:12:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
You’re saying he wouldn’t have done the exact same scheme if he wasn’t facing the lawsuits?

I’ve read the Wall Street ‘expert analysis’, which said the cutting the required bond by hundreds of millions was the news event leading to the (silly) massive increase in the valuation of Truth (anti)Social.

By the way, you can now get a Trump Bible for only $60! My wife busted a gut laughing. She said if they were $20 she was going to buy them as gag gifts for her cadre of Trump hating friends.