Threads: 23
Quote: PotPie
A 6 year old boy shot his teacher

and then said:

"I shot that (expletive) dead.

I did it."

this is astonishing even for today's world

the teacher survived

https://wtop.com/virginia/2023/08/a-6-year-old-said-i-did-it-after-shooting-his-teacher-at-virginia-school-warrants-say/

I didn't have a teacher shooting committed by a six year old on my 2023 Bingo card. How naive of me.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 9th, 2023 at 9:51:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
They've tried basic gun safety training on kids of that age. You wouldn't want most of them to actually test it with a real gun, as you'd likely get shot.
You're evidently entertaining the idea that he might have shot her by accident?

If so you must be unfamiliar with this case
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 9th, 2023 at 10:57:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
You're evidently entertaining the idea that he might have shot her by accident?

If so you must be unfamiliar with this case

I'm just saying it's not unlikely to be an accident with kids that age having a real gun even when they been instructed on the proper measures.

This was actually tested out. Parents who said their kids had been shown what to do if finding a gun volunteered their kids for an experiment. Even before the experiment begin, they all got the official NRA Eddie Eagle approved video in class. A police officer came in and had them repeat the instructions of what they were supposed to do. Then 4 days later, they hid two real guns in a classroom and the kids found them while left alone in the room.

Not all the kids failed the test, but it wasn't zero. Some kids were like the thing kids do if they were told not to eat a cookie. They didn't pick it up at first but often eventually did and started playing with it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2023 at 11:23:06 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
A single video isn’t remotely near being considered adequate firearms safety training at any age fwiw. Responsible firearm use isn’t a joke, even if there’s a number of red states that treat it like one.

From what I can remember, and this was over a quarter century ago, was 12 hours minimum + field day or two to get a hunting license in my state growing up, there’s a minimum age but requirements were same for older.
August 9th, 2023 at 11:28:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
This just proves the fact that all kids should get firearm training before starting school.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 9th, 2023 at 11:30:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: rquiredusername
A single video isn’t remotely near being considered adequate firearms safety training at any age fwiw. Responsible firearm use isn’t a joke, even if there’s a number of red states that treat it like one.

From what I can remember, and this was over a quarter century ago, was 12 hours minimum + field day or two to get a hunting license in my state growing up, there’s a minimum age but requirements were same for older.

Wasn’t how to use a gun in any manner but what to do if you find one. “Don’t touch it; tell an adult, etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2023 at 11:37:35 AM permalink
rxwine
https://youtu.be/Ho36vonT3Rw
August 9th, 2023 at 11:53:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
I'm just saying it's not unlikely to be an accident with kids that age having a real gun even when they been instructed on the proper measures.

This was actually tested out. Parents who said their kids had been shown what to do if finding a gun volunteered their kids for an experiment. Even before the experiment begin, they all got the official NRA Eddie Eagle approved video in class. A police officer came in and had them repeat the instructions of what they were supposed to do. Then 4 days later, they hid two real guns in a classroom and the kids found them while left alone in the room.

Not all the kids failed the test, but it wasn't zero. Some kids were like the thing kids do if they were told not to eat a cookie. They didn't pick it up at first but often eventually did and started playing with it.
I expected you to say 'not really' or something

I have some very limited experience with teaching kids about guns. I quickly realized you can't teach them a thing about safety if you let them handle the gun immediately. It's too exciting a moment for them and they don't hear you say a thing. So first you have to hold a little class, and the main thing you want them to know is you are going to punish them severely if they don't settle down and listen to and obey everything you say. The ones that are very young, just old enough for you to consider this at all, are just out of their minds excited if you don't look out.
August 9th, 2023 at 11:56:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
it's not impossible that the kid in this case only intended to brandish the gun [personally, I doubt it] but if so he instantly decided to 'own it' and brag about it
August 9th, 2023 at 11:59:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
it's not impossible that the kid in this case only intended to brandish the gun [personally, I doubt it] but if so he instantly decided to 'own it' and brag about it

It sounded like he intended to kill that “b****.” I’m just noting it’s far less than an ideal situation anyway if you want to remain blood-free that day.